The need to move forward with M43

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OK, what I have learned from this thread is pretty much what I wanted to know. I'm not going to rush out and buy more expensive glass. Instead I will try and use what I already have better, and also accept that shooting in low light is not going to produce the very best quality images. Thanks again for all the input and roll on the end of this grey weather!
I looked at some of your pics, and I think the low contrast in some of the image may be the issue. The eye is looking for contrast to focus on.
Low contrast is from both low light, close subject color (like black on brown), and shooting through fog.

The lack of contrast makes the image sometimes look "muddy," for lack of another word. And there is nothing to "pop" out to grab the viewers attention.
But sometimes, that is exactly what you want in the image.

If you enjoy that type of images, or are stuck with it due to weather, you might look for books and internet sites that deal with that specific type of shooting; to improve, and make it to your advantage.

Low contrast scenes are difficult for me also, so I take the easy way out and try to avoid them.

JohnJeffrey

Mu-43 Regular
I'm nearly 70, not in the best of health, and living on a state pension that doesn't allow for extravagance I came to M43 a couple of years back, and currently shoot with a Panasonic G80/85. To be totally honest, although I love my M43 stuff, I have been wanting for image quality. That's probably due to using budget glass, and recently I purchased a used Sigma 60mm f2.8, and got the image quality that I felt was lacking previously.

So I now have these lenses.

Zooms 12-32, 12-60 (Panasonic), 45-175.

Primes Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Olympus 12mm f2.0, Sigma 60mm f2.8.

Partly due to my physical condition (I tire easily) I find myself preferring the convenience of a zoom. So my question is: if I get a better quality zoom, say the Panasonic 12-35, Leica 12-60, or Olympus 12-40, part-funded by selling the Olympus 12mm prime, will I loose much in image quality? Again, being honest, I don't find myself using the 12mm prime much anyway.

The alternative of course is to buy more primes, but I suspect that I wouldn't use them enough to justify the cost.

All advice will be most welcome.
I can relate somewhat despite being a year younger. 2 years ago after a stage 3 cancer diagnosis, I went shopping and got a new Pen-f and a few lenses. The new kit rocked and helped me thru radiation treatments plus chemo...last one is next week! Prognosis is good! New kit cures you! Lol! I suggest looking at the higher perspective and wish list. “Image quality”. Make a small list of most photographed subjects, 2 most used focal length preferences, and then best optics/lens(s) that you can afford. Then purge your collection to fund those goals & purchases. The new tech is so vast for me, I will not likely master it before I pass. But, I am learning quickly and the new tech gives my old film kits a run! Have fun!

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
No, it sounds like only Olympus users have replied so far! Unfortunately you do benefit from matching camera bodies to lenses of the same manufacturer. Personally I’d go for the 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 but it would depend on if you planned on using the lens in dim light. For a general walk about daytime lens, I loved the 12-60. Here are a few samples:

View attachment 802971View attachment 802972View attachment 802973View attachment 802974
Beautiful images. What body were these shot with?

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
I can relate somewhat despite being a year younger. 2 years ago after a stage 3 cancer diagnosis, I went shopping and got a new Pen-f and a few lenses. The new kit rocked and helped me thru radiation treatments plus chemo...last one is next week! Prognosis is good! New kit cures you! Lol! I suggest looking at the higher perspective and wish list. “Image quality”. Make a small list of most photographed subjects, 2 most used focal length preferences, and then best optics/lens(s) that you can afford. Then purge your collection to fund those goals & purchases. The new tech is so vast for me, I will not likely master it before I pass. But, I am learning quickly and the new tech gives my old film kits a run! Have fun!

First off I wish you well with your recovery. And yes, photography is a great way to take our minds off health issues.

Until the weather improves, I am pretty much stuck with the low light pictures. And I probably have the glass to make the best of that. But I need to wean myself off the zooms a bit, and try my primes more.

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
I looked at some of your pics, and I think the low contrast in some of the image may be the issue. The eye is looking for contrast to focus on.
Low contrast is from both low light, close subject color (like black on brown), and shooting through fog.

The lack of contrast makes the image sometimes look "muddy," for lack of another word. And there is nothing to "pop" out to grab the viewers attention.
But sometimes, that is exactly what you want in the image.

If you enjoy that type of images, or are stuck with it due to weather, you might look for books and internet sites that deal with that specific type of shooting; to improve, and make it to your advantage.

Low contrast scenes are difficult for me also, so I take the easy way out and try to avoid them.
It strikes me that no matter what the camera or lens, the further away the subject is, the worse will be the image quality, and there is no real way around that. I have noticed that when people want to show off equipment at its best, they more often than not shoot something close to the camera.

I know that shooting through damp air is going to soften the image and reduce contrast. Perhaps I have expected too much from both myself and the equipment. But it is fun to keep trying.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It strikes me that no matter what the camera or lens, the further away the subject is, the worse will be the image quality, and there is no real way around that. I have noticed that when people want to show off equipment at its best, they more often than not shoot something close to the camera.

I know that shooting through damp air is going to soften the image and reduce contrast. Perhaps I have expected too much from both myself and the equipment. But it is fun to keep trying.
That is the problem with LONG shots.
There is more air between you and the subject. And more air = more "stuff" also.
"Stuff" = fog, smog, smoke, dust, pollen, water particles, etc.
Also heat/thermal distortion of the air.
Some times the smog here is so bad that I cannot see the other side of the bay at all. Just a dirty brown band.

Since that is the environment that you are in, why not make it a theme. Focus on the softness created by the fog.

Peadingle

Mu-43 Regular
Sorry I'm a bit late coming to this. I'm another UK pensioner and I've been round in circles over lens choices ending up with PL 12-60 and loving it. See my post elsewhere https://www.mu-43.com/threads/upgrade-path-where-to-start-and-where-to-end.106840/post-1345328 for the methodology; very subjective.
Better late than never as they say Mike. Reading that thread, I agree that it is quite difficult to say exactly why we like a picture taken with a particular camera or lens. If we like it, we like it, and unless we are selling pictures, that is surely the most important reason to justify owning and using any lens or camera.

As I said earlier in the thread, if I can sell off some hi-fi stuff, I can justify spending more money on photography, and you have tempted me to at least try the Leica version of the 12-60. I don't want to be on my deathbed wondering 'what-if' - there must be more important issues to consider at that moment.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom