The name of the new Olympus camera body...The OM-D!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Like Like x 2
  2. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    Would have been nice if they went with OM-G instead! :)
    • Like Like x 4
  3. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    OM-G ^ nice, altogether now.
  4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I think that when a company registers a trade mark they should be required to provide detailed photographs of the product plus full specification! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    OM-D ? I was listening to them just the other day ;-)

[ame=]OMD - Enola Gay (Live on KEXP) - YouTube[/ame]

Let hope the EVIL MILF spies at Olympus have been tracking feature requests on the forum and included the good-stuff to stay competitive with the other brands !
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm tired of rangefinder style cameras, bring on the old school SLRs!
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

hahahah How about Olympus OM -1GX ...:rofl:
    We have GX1 and G1X already
    Just like Canon an Nikon play with D series ...hahhhhaa
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was gonna say, doesn't Olympus know that all the cameras are supposed to have an X now?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm glad they didn't put an X in the name. OM-D sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to see it!
  10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I still own an OM-G from back in the 80s.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The new series will come in two models, the OM-D (OM Digital) and the OM-DX (OM Digital Pro). 'cause apparently, "X" now stands for "Pro", and the new definition of pro is "advanced amateur". :rolleyes:

Olympus has planned the release of the OM-DX for 6 months after the first OM-D, to answer the big internet grumble about the OM-D not being "pro enough" (even though it'll be too advanced for most buyers to understand).
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well if it's true to its OM roots it should have a HUGE, Bright OVF...that would be very cool indeed.
  13. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe Olympus will utilize a hybrid VF? That would be cool when using primes.
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

15. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I think I've missed the logic... Why would they call it 'OM' anything if it's not an OM system camera?
  16. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Doesn't that also hold for the Pen series?
  17. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010

I'm in agreement there with nickthetasmaniac. What has this camera got to do with the OM system? This just looks like Oly trading off the another past glory. While brand heritage is important and a valid marketing tool, that could just have easily been the Olympus name.

Starting to worry that this is another retro exercise for no good reason other than being out of ideas. Apart form the Lytro and the iPhone 4s most cameras are deeply rooted in the last Century. An opportunity missed.
  18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    From the recent Olympus design cues of the E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3 I think this camera will look nothing like the Fuji X line. Olympus has been pretty good about designing their cameras with a retro, but modern look. Even if it's inspired by the OM series, I think it'll still look more modern as opposed to being a direct copy of film cameras.
  19. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    I agree, inspiration from the OM range is not a bad place to start.

However this gets to the root of the problem which is the difference between style and design. The challenge here is to make a camera that reflects 2012 not 1972.
  20. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's nothing in the Olympus nomeclature to suggest that every m4/3 model need be called a Pen. Pen is the name of the existing camera bodies, not the system. To give an analogy: for m4/3 think EOS, for Pen think Rebel. Not every Canon EOS is a Rebel.

Confusion with the long dead OM system may not be considered an issue. The marketing dept. wins again! It's an interesting development, whatever it is.