The name of the new Olympus camera body...The OM-D!

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I think that when a company registers a trade mark they should be required to provide detailed photographs of the product plus full specification! :biggrin:

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
OM-D ? I was listening to them just the other day ;-)

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_njK2iYlw]OMD - Enola Gay (Live on KEXP) - YouTube[/ame]

Let hope the EVIL MILF spies at Olympus have been tracking feature requests on the forum and included the good-stuff to stay competitive with the other brands !

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
I was gonna say, doesn't Olympus know that all the cameras are supposed to have an X now?

The new series will come in two models, the OM-D (OM Digital) and the OM-DX (OM Digital Pro). 'cause apparently, "X" now stands for "Pro", and the new definition of pro is "advanced amateur". :rolleyes:

Olympus has planned the release of the OM-DX for 6 months after the first OM-D, to answer the big internet grumble about the OM-D not being "pro enough" (even though it'll be too advanced for most buyers to understand).

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well if it's true to its OM roots it should have a HUGE, Bright OVF...that would be very cool indeed.

43hk

Mu-43 Veteran
Ommmmmmmm.

I'm in agreement there with nickthetasmaniac. What has this camera got to do with the OM system? This just looks like Oly trading off the another past glory. While brand heritage is important and a valid marketing tool, that could just have easily been the Olympus name.

Starting to worry that this is another retro exercise for no good reason other than being out of ideas. Apart form the Lytro and the iPhone 4s most cameras are deeply rooted in the last Century. An opportunity missed.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
Ommmmmmmm.

I'm in agreement there with nickthetasmaniac. What has this camera got to do with the OM system? This just looks like Oly trading off the another past glory. While brand heritage is important and a valid marketing tool, that could just have easily been the Olympus name.

Starting to worry that this is another retro exercise for no good reason other than being out of ideas. Apart form the Lytro and the iPhone 4s most cameras are deeply rooted in the last Century. An opportunity missed.

From the recent Olympus design cues of the E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3 I think this camera will look nothing like the Fuji X line. Olympus has been pretty good about designing their cameras with a retro, but modern look. Even if it's inspired by the OM series, I think it'll still look more modern as opposed to being a direct copy of film cameras.

43hk

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree, inspiration from the OM range is not a bad place to start.

However this gets to the root of the problem which is the difference between style and design. The challenge here is to make a camera that reflects 2012 not 1972.

Real Name
Nic
There's nothing in the Olympus nomeclature to suggest that every m4/3 model need be called a Pen. Pen is the name of the existing camera bodies, not the system. To give an analogy: for m4/3 think EOS, for Pen think Rebel. Not every Canon EOS is a Rebel.

Confusion with the long dead OM system may not be considered an issue. The marketing dept. wins again! It's an interesting development, whatever it is.

Latest threads

Top Bottom