The myth of Panasonic not having nice OOC JPEGs

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    This is NOT an Olympus bashing thread. I like Olympus cameras (I have 2 of them) and I think they have lovely OOC JPEGs. I also think that Panasonic's get a bad rap and you hear it quite frequently that they do not have nice OOC JPEGs and you need to shoot in RAW. Now Olympus PENs (especially the new ones) have superior AWB and do a marvelous job with exposure. That said, I feel like my G2 is capable of lovely OOC JPEGs as well.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6912261328/" title="White Riot by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6912261328_581a358d59_b. "1024" height="684" alt="White Riot"></a>
    G2 with Hexanon 24/2.8

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7009834807/" title="Pinkfall by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7009834807_547c1dd472_b. "684" height="1024" alt="Pinkfall"></a>
    G2 with P20/1.7

Anyone have something to share?

• Like Like x 16
  2. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    That's pretty cool - I've yet to try shooting JPEG with any camera I've owned, but it's good to know that the GF1 or the GH2 would do a decent job.

3. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Could you please share your settings like White Balance etc .. Let me try and duplicate it on my GH2 and see whether I can come up with beautiful OOC JPEGs like you have.

Here's what I have tried:
    Vibrant
    Contrast -2
    Sharpness 0
    saturation -2
    N/R -1
    AWB with yellow +2 adjustment

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    That first shot is gorgeous!

(but I still think my GH2 jpegs suck...)

5. I always thought that the colours from my GH1 jpegs were okay, but it is the way that the jpeg engine nukes the camera's dynamic range (mostly highlights) that I don't like.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Please show us a landscape shot (on a sunny or partly cloudy day) of a Panasonic OOC jpeg vs Oly OOC jpeg I've yet to see a Pany OOC jpeg (or video) that reminded my of an Oly OOC jpeg (or video).

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Here's what I have been using.

Dynamic
    Contrast -1
    Sharpness +1
    Saturation +1
    NR -1

• Like Like x 1
  8. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I may need to reread the first post, but I don't think the OP claimed to have a similar look.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I do not...all I stated was that I thought that Panasonic cameras were capable of lovely OOC JPEGs. In fact this is not a Panasonic vs Olympus thread (I said so in the first sentence). What I was hoping for is people to post their Panasonic OOC JPEGs.

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    My reply was defending your post!

I will post some jpegs although I'm not a great photographer. So if my pictures are not god enough to back your statement, let me know and I'll remove them.

Btw we are staying in Long Beach tonight.

11. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    My issue with Panasonic jpegs (and I admit I've never spent a great deal of time fine tuning the in-camera settings) is their ability to apply brutal noise reduction to anything that has a coarse textured detail - ie. grass, water ripples, fabric etc - and turn it to butter...

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh sorry, I ddn't mean it to come out that way. I was actually agreeing with your post. Sorry it came out awkwardly. :eek: As for pictures...I look forward to seeing them. No such thing as not good enough. :smile: I am hoping to just see folks stuff.

Kevin

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You I never noticed that. I gotta do some test shots and look for it. I will say that the default NR is a bit heavy handed. That's why I take it down a notch. Maybe I should try taking to down more.

14. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    For what it's worth, I shot some jpegs with my Mum's EPL2 (all settings at default) the other day and it did exactly the same thing, so it's probably more of a 'jpeg' thing, rather than a 'Panasonic' thing...

15. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Isn't it all about personal preferences?

The JPG format, in general, is predefined processing. The compression may add artifacts that are not part of the original image. Regardless of the manufacturer, more advanced cameras (including all micro four-third models) do offer several user adjustments that allow tweaking of how the camera processes the image. At one time or another, I think most of us were guilty of not taking the time to learn what theses adjustments do and how to set them to our satisfaction - I'm guilty! I can’t say for certain, but perhaps many of us who complain about Panasonic vs Olympus may also have not explored the advantages of shooting in RAW and manually setting the image processing on a properly calibrated PC. Yes, it’s time consuming but often the end result is worth the effort.

Noise reduction in general will roll off the high frequency content. In many cases elements of the photo’s finer details resemble “noise”, so some detail can be lost when NR is applied. One exception I found is Nik’s NR Photoshop plug-in, “Dfine”. As Nik explained to me, Dfine only applies NR to solid objects and never across edges or object perimeters. The end result is less noise w/o a significant loss of fine detail. Personally I don’t think that cameras currently have the image processing power to do this in real time, but looking forward, who knows?. For those of us who shot on film, remember film grain! ;-)

In comparison, we’ve all adjusted the bass, treble and EQ settings on our home audio systems – right? It’s really no different and where one person decides it’s “right” is not necessarily the same as the next person. Rather than to adopt opinions expressed by others, experiment and see for yourself.

16. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Completely agree, but . . .

emphasis on the "is capable" part.

I own a G3 and E-PM1. While the G3 can and has produced lovely OOC JPGs, unfortunately it's also capable of producing strange color casts that require heavy adjustment in PP to recover something approaching reality. The PM1 too, but far less often. As a result, I now only shoot my G3 in RAW mode while the PM1 gets RAW+JPG mode.

I think it's a WB thing more than anything else. If the G3 gets the WB right, it's colors are lovely.

Maybe I should turn on RAW+JPG again and see what I get.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    How about folks posting their OOC JPEGs? Surely I'm not the only one getting pleasing results. FWIW I do think that the Olympus AWB has a lot to do with their pleasing color.

18. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I think I have found another reason why the Olympus colours are different from Panasonic and that could be down to the lenses. I have recently got the Oly 45mm lens and the colours do semm to be a bit richer. This could be down to lens design, type of glass used and coatings.
    I use to do astronomy and you could get different views from different makes or designs of eyepieces. The colour they showed varied form cool, warm, neutral and some had a sepia caste.

19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I guess I never thought that much about whether Pany jpgs were any good or not. I just thought the RAWs were better. I don't even remember the last time I used jpgs in a non-Fuji camera. I'll give the GF2 a try.

20. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    P1000185.JPG

Not a particularly good photo, but an example of an unaltered Panasonic jpeg
    - GF3 + 14mm - OOC jpeg (but slightly cropped) with following settings:

Photo style: standard

Contrast +1
    Sharpness 0
    Saturation +1
    Noise reduction 0
    WB: Cloudy with one notch towards M and one notch towards B

I am still experimenting, but none of my jpegs have been awful in comparison with my Olympus ones, although overall the Olympus ones tend to be more pleasing. But given forum comments etc I was expecting a lot worse from the Panasonic.

• Like Like x 2