The Mu-43.com Photo Challenge Thread!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Ted, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    If this has been done before, feel free to close this thread and re-direct me to it! I did do a search though..
    --------------------
    Welcome to the Mu-43.com Photo Challenge Thread! I come from a music background, and often found that reading forums and GAS could occupy more of my time than actually playing music. I've since broken that habit, but have started to notice the same thing beginning to happen with camera gear! This is my attempt to remedy that. Rules are simple: a challenge will be issued, then members will have two weeks to complete it and post their image. This will be judged by the person who gave the challenge, and the winner will then come up with a new challenge. Photos must be taken <i>after</i> the challenge begins, so no using old favourites! This is purely a social challenge and winners are judged on whatever the challenger likes, though an explanation of why a particular image was chosen is expected. Entrants can post one picture per challenge, and a little write-up about gear (preferably m4/3's but that isn't a must) and why they chose that photo/what it means to them would be appreciated but are not mandatory. The challenger is expected to post a picture to his or her own challenge also, though they cannot judge themselves as the winner. The end goal here is we all get out and take more photos, critique each other so that our photos improve and maybe broaden our genre horizons a little bit!

Hopefully enough of you are interested in this that it kicks off, first up: Take a picture of the place you live. Interpret that however you wish, it could be from inside your living room, some form of street photography in your city or an aerial photo of your country town. The more variation between entrants the better! Let's go!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Here is my entry! I'm not sure how long I'll leave it up for as I'm not yet in love with it, but I figured I probably should post something if I'm going to hope that others will too :tongue:

15901767296_c946993367_b. Hobart. by Theo Batchelor, on Flickr

This one was taken with my E-M5 and Oly 17mm 1.8 lens on a 40 second exposure at F22, shot RAW and then with the pinhole effect added in Olympus Viewer 3 before a quick last touch up in Photoshop. I'm not sure why Flickr isn't showing any of that information. It's a long distance shot of Hobart, the city in which I live. I was initially going to take a picture off the top of Mt. Wellington (the big mountain in the background) but ended up deciding that it should be in the picture, as it's a huge part of how I perceive the city and one of my favourite places to go. I grew up on the eastern shore (same side of the river as this photo, though about an hours drive back) and the mountain was always the first thing you'd see as you were driving into the city. The photo was taken from a town called Bellerive, which was also the first place I lived in after moving out of home and I'd often go for walks along the shore where this picture was taken, so it's a really good representation of how I see the place I live. I look forward to your entries and any advice on how I could have improved this image! Thanks!

EDIT::Re-linked the picture after editing it again with an extra stop worth of exposure.

• Like Like x 5
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, perhaps this would work better if a topic were announced.

Thanks,
    Barry

4. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    15913198881_a497b9c1ac_b.
    PB033664

Third window from the right, top floor - that's my room.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Awesome! Thank you so much for contributing. That's crazy you get to live in a place like that, I bet it's cold though? We'll call it at that then since it's been about two weeks, which makes you the winner by default, haha. Your turn to pick a topic, QualityBuiltIn!

6. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Great. That pretty much sums me up - Best of a bad lot.

In honour of Ted for starting this thread the new subject is MUSIC

instruments, musicians, hi-fi ......

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Awesome! I'm actually off road tripping/camping for the next two weeks (currently posting this from my tent!) so hopefully I can find something or otherwise get creative! Even better if just one or two extra people get in on this round ;)

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 3
  9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I think we already have a cheater in Bhup's photo... :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Not to mention that it is off-theme as well.

For some reason this thread seems too challenging for us...

11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. I have some Musical Performance images but none this week; maybe will get one tonight.

2. for this to work, I think it needs to be a Forum Topic like the Post Processing Challenges.
    Also, the challenger / topic creator (previous winner) should post an (example?) image with the theme.
    That way each new thread will have a clear theme.

Obviously this requires Amin or another moderator to create a new Topic.

Thanks,
    Barry

12. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    That's a great image Bhup but not on topic or in the correct time-frame, haha. Please don't take this as me being rude but did you not read the first post? If it's too long maybe I should clearly paraphrase and list the rules in bold right up the top there.

Looking forward to some entries, I have one or two that I'm considering but going to hold off just a little longer to see if I can't get something better! If someone did make this a sticky as Barry suggested that would be cool, maybe we should see if it takes off and lasts first though? I kind of like the theme being ambiguous though as it should give us some good variety. As long as the poster can explain how it links in to the theme then I think that's okay :)

13. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    My entry in the MUSIC competition:

<div class="pixels-photo">
    <p> 4. "Photograph Street Musician"></p>
    </div>
    E-M1, Oly 17mm @ f1.8, 1/30sec, ISO400

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Missed the deadline, but I think that's okay at this point :redface:

15984351498_f081700a78_b. Old Rocker Ice Cream. by Theo Batchelor, on Flickr

This was taken in Apollo Bay, Victoria while on holiday with my E-M5 and Oly 17mm lens (f7.1, 1/4000, ISO 3200.. no longer using Aperture priority mode!). It was my first ever attempt at street photography and one of two or three pictures that I liked. Converted to B&W and edited a little in Photoshop, but uncropped. I'm calling it Old Rocker Ice Cream :tongue: As always, criticism encouraged! Looking forward to hopefully one or two more before we find a winner/new topic!