The Mound

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Another weird spot in the desert, known simply on Google Maps as “The Mound”. Unsure what the story is, as I haven’t been able to find out anything on it.
DFC8ED2B-27D3-4232-AD0B-023A7717BD03.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

F820ACAB-B46E-4472-9576-A16DACFCEC9F.jpeg

B00E80BB-0585-4961-9109-54DA02D87137.jpeg

55726275-A741-4C1F-B09E-99641783A366.jpeg

BA366EBA-0562-4E95-84B5-BE614EC52101.jpeg

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
super weird! love it.

how do you like the Df, anyway? I will admit to having a not insignificant amount of wanting one when they were introduced. It hits some pretty satisfying retro appeal.

Mountain_Man_79

Real Name
Chris
super weird! love it.

how do you like the Df, anyway? I will admit to having a not insignificant amount of wanting one when they were introduced. It hits some pretty satisfying retro appeal.
Thanks. As for the Df, this was my first outing with it (it’s new to me), and the verdict isn’t back yet. I don’t dislike it, but I’m not sure I’m in love with it, at least yet. It is pretty, it is overall nice to use, and the sensor has some pretty serious latitude to it equally in shadows and highlights near as I can tell. I only have two FX lenses at the moment, and the ultra wide zoom is simply annoyingly large (tokina 16-28 f2.8) on this relatively small body, and it just doesn’t make me want to pick it up. Now the 85mm 1.8g on the other hand is a gem, and fits the body very nicely and does scream ‘grab me’. So this body in my opinion is not for the premium zooms unfortunately. I won’t be getting either the 24-70 or 28-70 f2.8s as I simply won’t want to ever pick this thing up. Maybe that’s a plus? I’ll be getting the much more affordable 24-85 variable instead at some point. Either way, I need a few more outings with it, but I think she’ll be a keeper.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
who owns the land? if managed by BLM you might get info from them

Real Name
Walter
Another weird spot in the desert, known simply on Google Maps as “The Mound”. Unsure what the story is, as I haven’t been able to find out anything on it.
View attachment 884724
View attachment 884725
View attachment 884726
View attachment 884727
View attachment 884728

Very interesting. It's obviously some sort of memorial, but there are no markers? Remnants of flowers (maybe artificial ones) left behind. Catholic related, judging by the statuary. And, the rocks composing the mound are unlike anything around the site. The rocks in the mound look like marble and must have been hauled in from elsewhere. The rocks lining the pathway are different. And, it's well-maintained.

Last edited:

Mountain_Man_79

Real Name
Chris
Very interesting. It's obviously some sort of memorial, but there are no markers? Remnants of flowers (maybe artificial ones) left behind. Catholic related, judging by the statuary. And, the rocks composing the mound are unlike anything around the site. The rocks in the mound look like marble and must have been hauled in from elsewhere. The rocks lining the pathway are different. And, it's well-maintained.
Your assessment is pretty dead on, except I believe the rocks in the mount are a calcite, not marble. There was a pair of women’s shoes left just outside the circle if that’s a helpful clue 😂

Real Name
Walter
Your assessment is pretty dead on, except I believe the rocks in the mount are a calcite, not marble. There was a pair of women’s shoes left just outside the circle if that’s a helpful clue 😂

Not sure the pair of shoes helps me, but probably helps to narrow it down a bit. I don't know my rocks well either. On a volcanic island, there's basalt, basalt, and more basalt. :)

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
Thanks. As for the Df, this was my first outing with it (it’s new to me), and the verdict isn’t back yet. I don’t dislike it, but I’m not sure I’m in love with it, at least yet. It is pretty, it is overall nice to use, and the sensor has some pretty serious latitude to it equally in shadows and highlights near as I can tell. I only have two FX lenses at the moment, and the ultra wide zoom is simply annoyingly large (tokina 16-28 f2.8) on this relatively small body, and it just doesn’t make me want to pick it up. Now the 85mm 1.8g on the other hand is a gem, and fits the body very nicely and does scream ‘grab me’. So this body in my opinion is not for the premium zooms unfortunately. I won’t be getting either the 24-70 or 28-70 f2.8s as I simply won’t want to ever pick this thing up. Maybe that’s a plus? I’ll be getting the much more affordable 24-85 variable instead at some point. Either way, I need a few more outings with it, but I think she’ll be a keeper.

nice review. I think your findings match up with some of the reviews I read on it around release time.

Being a "retro" body, some of the ergonomics were a bit weird.

The sensor is a gem though. Same one that was in the D750, iirc, and that thing had a ton of range.

so yeah. You might find yourself gravitating to prime lenses with that camera. I don't see that as a bad thing. There are a ton of cheapish D-series lenses that I believe will focus with it. The 20 and 35s I have are pretty good optically and fast enough at f2.8 and 2.0 respectively. It'd probably be a treat with adapted lenses too.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom