1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The most disappointing part of the E-PL3...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by whatisinthebag, Jan 20, 2012.

1. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    The most disappointing part of the E-PL3 has to be the size of the battery charger and electrical cable.
    For such a diminutive and capable camera, the charger takes up more space the the camera and the 14/20/45 prime lens combo I carry.
    Everything travels so well. Minus the one gargantuan part you truly have no option of leaving behind on extended trips. The powwwwwwa.
    Any third party chargers for the BLS-1 worth the risk?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've always had perfectly good results with cheapo Chinese chargers and batteries off eBay. Hell, buy two of each -- why not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have three batteries instead and don't need to carry charger so much

• Like Like x 2
  4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Hah...seriously?

I have three batteries bought for like close to $5 bucks each. And there are plenty of non-corded aftermarket charger options. Better yet, leave the charger in your suit-case.

Not to mention, if you ever use a back up PEN, it goes in: EP1, EP2, EP3, EPL1,EPL2, EPL3 and EPM1. That's one charger needed.

The last thing I'd expect is anyone to be complaining about Oly batteries. :tongue:

5. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    I am complaining about the size of the charger. It takes up as much space as my whole m43 system.

Love the universal batteries.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah the charger is a pretty poor (cheaped-out) design. The Lumix and knockoff chargers use the flip out prongs - much more compact.

I would recommend you buying 1-2 extra cheapo batteries and a cheapo charger. Shouldn't set you back more than $20 USD off Amazon...

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They're probably still selling ones they manufactured for the E-420.

It would be nice if they finally updated the design of the charger. Of course it would also be nice if the batteries could give accurate charge info in the cameras instead of what they currently have. Oh well...

DH

8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Understood. On the plus side, the corded charger takes up less real-estate on the outlet when you're in another country and using travel adapters.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahah I can chop charger in four pieces and put in ur different pockets ..I think they will look smaller ...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Just being silly ..hahahh:biggrin:

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have had really great luck with the Blue Nook Wasabi chargers and batteries for both my Oly E-P3 and Ricoh GXR. The charger is about the same height and depth, but maybe 1/3 less width, and it has one of those pop out plugs built-in, so there is no external cable. It does have an optional external cable for 12v car use (plug on the charger). I think the Wasabi batteries are above average for non-original batteries.

Following is a link for the charger and 2 battery kit on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Olympus BLS-1, PS-BLS1, E-420, E-450, E-600, E-620, PEN E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-PL1, E-PL3, E-PM1: Camera & Photo