The Moon

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by uscrx, Sep 13, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Just received Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 OS today.

Mounted on 5DII with Canon TC14.X + Tamron TC1.4X

Keep trying to take better pictures of the moon.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    This is a good moon photo (some like to post the moon which only fills 10% of the screen). Yours is definitely better! I like to see the details in the lower corner.

Moon shots are not easy. Here is one I did with some luck and my old 75-300mm lens. Conditions were good but I would have preferred half moon. But at half moon it was cloudy ...

The newer Mark2 zoom would have been better, but moon shots depend mostly on atmospheric turbulence and so. Maybe I will never get this shot again even with a updated lens?

Here it is, heavily cropped as there is no teleconverter for mFT yet. Maybe we get one with the PRO tele next year, I have to say with the current mFT lenses a TC only makes sense for moon shots. Having a tripod, enough light, time ...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I find the Moon, very challenging.

It moves much faster than it seems...

Basically I tripod the set up, use a wireless remote release, and manual focus in 10X zoom in Live View. Using DSLR.

Once I take a few shots, then I have to release and readjust the ballhead because the Moon has moved on.

I have not tried the moon with u43 yet.

I do have Panasonic 100-300mm and the tripod collar ring coming next week.

I will give it a try then. But I need to figure out how to make the LCD screen on m43 to show the actual exposure. Otherwise, it's too bright and I can't manual focus.

4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Tried the Moon again.

120-300mm OS with Sigma EX DG 2X + Sigma EX 1.4x on 5DII

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    OK, the Moon with u43.

Panasonic 100-300mm MF with e-PM2 on a tripod.

[​IMG]

6. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Thanks for the posts guys. I'm so excited to see this. I now have a new (first) tripod, my 100-300mm lens my G5 and a cable release. I'm psyched to try my first moon shots in the next couple of days. These are inspirational!

Oh, and I'm open to suggestions about settings if anyone has some:)

Jane

7. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    ISO 100-200. Aperture f8-f11
    and I underexpose by -2 to -3.

I either use aperture priority or full manual....

With tripod I'm more concerned with aperture and less with shutter speed.

Good luck and share your pictures!

8. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm eager to try them out. Hopefully I will be able to get something decent (in the park in NYC). Unlike the stars which are hard to see in the city I think I have a better shot at the moon (pardon the pun).

Best,
    Jane