The mirrorless price wars

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by squeegee, Jul 8, 2010.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    So I was walking around today and looked at a few cameras in stores... I don't know what to think but the prices are a little bizzare.

1) NEX-3 with 16mm lens & flash, $650 (actually in stock at sony stores now)
    2) E-PL1 with 14-42, $560
    3) E-P2 with 14-42, $1100
    4) GF1 with 20mm $940
    5) G10 with 14-42 (or is it 43 or 45) $1100

Do they really think the E-PL1 and NEX-3 are *that* much worst than say the e-p2 or gf1, do they really think the g10 is really worth $1100?

I'd have to say though that I'm surprised at how many people have m4/3 cameras. Just walking around town I've seen a slew of g1/gh1's and e-p1/2's, I thought it would be a rare sighting but apparently it's more like once every 2 hours I'd see one. Oddly enough I haven't seen an e-pl1 in the wild yet, I thought at that price it would have been the most prominent camera around.

2. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I personally see things like this:

-- the Nex as a bold innovation eager to catch on despite some limitations

-- the E-PL1 as a disposable yet extremely capable tool (the one I have -- I see it as a disposable digital back for my legacy optical gems)

-- the GF1 as a durable and very capable tool with a great lens (as in your combo)

-- the E-P1/P2 as instant classics/collectibles that are design marvels as well as very capable tools

-- and finally the G10 as a total pricing blunder if it is selling at the atrocious price you mentioned. Otherwise the G10 is a poor man's G1 with virtually the same benefits and almost as versatile, except that the EVF is probably meant only for fine-tuning focus in magnified mode.

Entirely my personal opinion.

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I think that's a pretty accurate opinion. I also don't understand the pricing on the G10 - kinda defeats the purpose of an entry-level no-frills DSLR equivalent camera. It should have been priced similar to the E-PL1. I wouldn't even understand seeing the G2 at that price frankly - that one should be around $800.

I think it's a sign of a market in flux, with the manufacturers still not quite understanding the various market segments and their price sensitivity. It's caused by the entry of the first serious competitor in the NEX after Panasonic and Olympus having had a run on the pricing for the past several years since the introduction of the format. I don't think Panasonic is taking the NEX seriously enough yet (perhaps with good reason), and is waiting to see the sales numbers on their products vis-a-vis competitors. As the market matures I expect the pricing to stabilize to a more predictable level.

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    "Euro prices"

Goodmorning ! I checked the prices too, all prices are in euro.
    NEX3 + 16 : 499
    EPL1 + 14-42 : 489
    EP2 + 14-42 : 909 (EVF included)
    GF1 + 20 : 739
    G10 + 14-42 : 479
    G2 + 14-42 : 579

I'm waiting for the new rangefinder camera from Pan ! (LX5 ? )

5. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    I know the E-P1 is discontinued, but I was recently able to pick up a body only BNIB from LCE for £279 and they are still available.

Given that the real money gets spent on glass, as long as the mu4/3 mount remains well supported I'm happy. The camera is after all very much more replaceable than a bag of lenses.

6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Price of EP1 + VF1 (EVF) + 17mm/2.8 : 599 euro in Holland.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I am curious what stores are using those prices? Then again store-front retailers can be quite ridiculous.

- NEX3/pancake is new so I would expect MSRP on that.
    - E-pl1 kit can be had from reputable ebay sellers for well under $500.00 ( cameta for instance is selling it for $472 shipped, bing cashback gets another 8% on top of that).
    - e-p2/14-42/vf2 sold on amazon within the last week for under $800.
    - GF1/20mm combo - hugely popular, not much discounting on that combo, GF1/14-45 sells in the mid-$700 range online.
    - G10 (this is the cheaper one isn't it?) should have a price with the 14-42 at MSRP of $599 - if they had it for $1100, they must have mis-priced it (not sure panasonic would be happy to see that kind of price on their camera!).

8. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    well yes, I'm talking about stores and not ebay-ing etc... I personally buy off the used market most of the time because I have no need to have shiny new stuff.

These were major retail stores like bestbuys and their renamed affiliates etc. Oh, don't pay attention to the prices as much as the prices relative to each other. Exchange rate / currency / and location causes prices to fluctuate a lot but the above prices were in stores on the same street so things like government fees / location distribution costs etc should be factored in the same for all of them. Oh and I checked the g10 price again, it may have been a price tag on the wrong item or something, it looks like it should have been around $700-750 instead.

I guess my point was the panasonics seem so much more expensive than the olympus/sony counter parts. I know there'll be a bunch of people saying the nex/e-pl1 isn't the same quality - but really, they're still selling the GH1 and GF1 at exorbitant prices compared to the cheaper olympus/sony.

I think if the prices remain like that for a while, the e-pl1 and nex3 could get some traction against panasonic.

I played around with the NEX3 again for a little while - 4 sales people swarmed me and tried to make me buy it on the spot. I hate to admit it but the size / weight and feel of the camera has a real appeal to it. The menu is annoying... but there's more to consider... like the prices of sony lenses v.s. *cough* panasonic *cough*. Sure people could argue quality again - but at 3 or 4 times the cost for a lens, and considering I'm not a professional nor making any money off of my photos... I think my abilities is the limiting factor of the image quality, not the lens.

The good news is I'm not in the market for a camera :rolleyes:, so hopefully olympus and panasonic will realign their prices by the time I'm looking to buy again, and maybe come out with a slightly smaller and lighter camera. (I know some people say it's already too small, but for me, I've found many times where I look at it and decide to leave it at home because it's too big - where as something the size of my phone is small enough to be with me at all times.)