The mirrorless expansion - Zeiss, Voigtlander, Sigma and Tamron join NEX.

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
From Mirrorless Rumors - Mirrorless Rumors | Home

In a flurry of activity over the past few days we have seen announcements that Zeiss, Schneider-Kreuznach and Komamura have "joined" micro-thirds in addition to Cosina-Voigtlander. Today Sony have announced that Zeiss, Cosina-Voigtlander, Sigma and Tamron are going to be "joining" the Nex system.

So it looks like we are going to be getting an expansion of what both these systems are able to offer in terms of lenses. Since both Panasonic and Sony have produced video cameras in addition to stills cameras that share the same mounts, some of what is planned is obviously destined for that. The ultra-expensive Zeiss movie lenses being an example. Zeiss is no surprise for the NEX system as they already make lenses for Sony.

The rapidly increasing sales of these compact system cameras is obviously of interest to 3rd. Party lens makers and they see an opportunity for sales and probably also don't wish to be involved in any "boat missing".

What will come out of all this in terms of products, we can only wait and see.
All this a day after Canon seemingly signaled their continuing non-involvement (non-interest?) in anything "mirrorless", with the announcement of the 600D and 1100D.

If nothing else all this should make for some interesting speculative posting over the next few days!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 412

travisennis

Mu-43 Regular
If only Sony would release a camera that had a similar body style to the Panny GF cameras.

iliakoltsov

Mu-43 Regular
Tamron has as a major shareholder Sony, it is only common sense that they would join NEX standard.

Sigma is in MFT consortium, the official argumentation is on the lines we will wait and see if the standard will be popular. There is hope on that side.

Schneider recently joined , which leaves samsung NX mount with no decent optician.

The real Market battle is between Nex and M4/3 now if sony will release a Nex 7 as was announced several times it will kill the market as the sensor is way better in low light . You can achieve amazing results with M4/3 using post processing but usually doing that requires time and sometimes you are in a hurry and you want a good picture without too much noise straight from the sensor.

shoturtle

I would not worry to much about the sony sensor killing m4/3. The newer sensors on the GH2 is pretty impressive at 3200iso. Even with the aps-c sensor. 6400iso is still very noise. The battle ground of high iso is from 1600-3200 right now. And the rumor new panny sensor should keep m4/3 right on the heels of the exmor sensor.

But the other thing is compact, it is why people get a mirrorless. And the aps-c lenses mounted on the nex 3 or nex 5 is just awkward and large. The 18-55 is large and unbalance on the nex 3 already.

All the new lenses form sony are not small, and are quite a percentage larger then the m4/3 equivalent.

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I would not worry to much about the sony sensor killing m4/3. The newer sensors on the GH2 is pretty impressive at 3200iso.
But the other thing is compact, it is why people get a mirrorless.
All the new lenses form sony are not small, and are quite a percentage larger then the m4/3 equivalent.

Indeed. Much of what you say is true for me also. Not everybody shoots black cats in a coal cellar, so the idea that all photographers are interested in high ISO and nothing else is, I believe, greatly exaggerated. My GH2 produces images I'm very pleased with, and the multi-aspect sensor is incredibly useful. I'm also much more concerned how a camera performs at low ISO and I certainly don't have any complaints about that with the GH2.

Also, as you imply, how a camera handles is also an important issue for many. I've always disliked lens-heavy camera / lens combinations, they just don't feel right for me.

Cameras are very personal, and virtually every one of us would want something different in an ideal world. We now have a wide variety of choice, and I'm particularly pleased that quality images are no longer associated with large heavy camera bodies exclusively. Sony and Panasonic may see themselves as being in competition and some photographers unfortunately get caught up in that but ultimately, its surely the case, that the more options we have, the better.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Actually, they haven't "joined" NEX, they have simply applauded Sony for opening up the specification. Read more carefully here.

"[T]he decision to disclose basic specifications of the "E-mount" has been endorsed by the following companies" does not mean those companies will necessarily be making lenses. The licensing cost may be prohibitive, for example.

I hope they do join NEX and I would welcome that, but it seems what was said is being over-interpreted by several sites.

soundimageplus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Actually, they haven't "joined" NEX, they have simply applauded Sony for opening up the specification. Read more carefully here.

"[T]he decision to disclose basic specifications of the "E-mount" has been endorsed by the following companies" does not mean those companies will necessarily be making lenses. The licensing cost may be prohibitive, for example.

I hope they do join NEX and I would welcome that, but it seems what was said is being over-interpreted by several sites.

Tamron Co., Ltd endorses Sony's decision to disclose basic "E-mount" specifications. We aim to offer our customers new solutions and unprecedented photo-shooting enjoyment through the manufacture and sale of "E-mount" lenses.

I don't think that you have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that these companies are going to be manufacturing for Sony NEX cameras.

The decision to disclose basic specifications of the "E-mount" has been endorsed by the following companies.

If you want to take that at "face value" then fine. However if they aren't going to get involved then why on earth would they issue press statements, saying how wonderful it is of Sony to let them see the blueprints?

Or is this corporate tosh just designed to keep us amused?

Sigma Corporation fully supports Sony's decision to disclose basic "E-mount" specifications. We believe this move will spur the further growth and diversification of camera system across the industry, provide photo enthusiasts with a wealth of choice and enrich in their photographic lifestyles.

I'm in the market for "a wealth of choice and enrichment of my photographic lifestyle" Who wouldn't be?

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Schneider recently joined , which leaves samsung NX mount with no decent optician.

It's not all or nothing - just because they joined m43 doesn't mean they won't stick an NX mount on those exact lenses and sell them to the Koreans.

My point about "bad news for Samsung" is that obviously, mirrorless has got the manufacturer's attention ... but not THEIR mirrorless.

Real Name
Nic
Unless Tamron does something completely different compared to their current DSLR lens line-up, a fast zoom is the only interesting lens I could see them potentially adding to the mirrorless camera market that doesn't already exist. Sigma tends to be a little more adventurous with their lenses.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
But the other thing is compact, it is why people get a mirrorless. And the aps-c lenses mounted on the nex 3 or nex 5 is just awkward and large. The 18-55 is large and unbalance on the nex 3 already.
This, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder I find the lenses on the Nex (and on the A33 I played with for a while) to be fine until you get into the telephoto sizes. The kit lens and the 16 on the Nex feel very well balanced and easy to handle to me - I tend to handle the Nex very differently than any of the m43 cameras anyway, because of the tilt-up screen. I use a strap on the left lug and around my left wrist and cradle the camera in my left hand at about waist level. I work the zoom (when applicable) with that hand and bring my right hand down to work the shutter and the controls when I actually shoot. The zoom lens is not a large lens at all and the whole deal feels very comfortable to handle. I even tried the 18-200 lens in the store (same focal range as the Olympus 14-150) and while it looked a little goofy with this big lens on a tiny camera body, it actually felt ok when I was shooting with it. Its about the size and weight of the Panasonic 14-140, a bit bulkier and heavier than the Oly 14-150. I wouldn't want anything longer than that for this camera, but I don't find the existing lenses to be any larger in feel or use than the similar m43 lenses. The 16mm for the Nex looks a bit larger than the pancakes for m43, but its barely larger when it comes down to it and it doesn't in any way negatively affect the feel or handling. I'm looking forward to the Zeiss 24mm f1.7 that's rumored for the Nex this year - should be smaller than the kit and a stellar street and low light lens in my favorite focal length...

So my bottom line is that the Nex lenses are just fine except I'd be wary of any future long telephotos, where I think the m43 crop factor and size advantage really starts to matter.

-Ray

shoturtle

that is the exact reason I find the nex awkward to handle with the 18-55. Shooting away form the body. You really need to hold differently when zooming out the lens. When it was first announced I wanted to add the nex to my camera equipment. But with the pancake was fine, but once I put on the 18-55, it was a different story with the ergo.

So it is really a very personal taste with the 18-55, but as the zoom ranges increase, it will me more awkward to handle. I totally agree with that. I have tried the 18-200 on a nex 5, not the easy to operated.

shoturtle

PS, sony really need to add a evf to the nex, if you want to use a long zoom, it is very difficult to frame properly with the lcd and a 200mm lens.

pjohngren

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You can achieve amazing results with M4/3 using post processing but usually doing that requires time and sometimes you are in a hurry and you want a good picture without too much noise straight from the sensor.

It only takes time if you are still wedded to RAW. If you let go of that, you can achieve amazing results in m4/3 with very little post processing by tweaking the camera settings and shooting JPEGs - at least that is my experience with the G1 and GF1.

Latest threads

Top Bottom