The Milky Way on M4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Alpha Whiskey Photography, Oct 4, 2015.

1. All shot in Colorado.

Using the Olympus 12-40mm F/2.8, I zoomed out to 12mm (24mmFF equivalent) and set the aperture to F/2.8. Rather than set a shutter speed value, I used the LIVE TIME function. This revealed the developing exposure on the rear LCD, allowing me to stop it at any time. I set it to show the development every 2 seconds. While the other photographers with me were able to shoot a 15 second exposure at ISO 6400 or 3200, I limited my maximum ISO value to ISO 1600 and shot for around 30 seconds.

The Noise filter on the camera, which affects all images, is always set to OFF, but the Noise Reduction feature, which affects long exposures, was set to ON. Not having a remote trigger, I used the Anti-Shock function which started the exposure about half a second after I pressed the shutter. In some of the images, the trees were painted with a small flashlight during the exposure.

Processing the image I reduced the noise a little in Lightroom, and changed the white balance to make it a tad bluer. I also adjusted the contrast to bring out the nebulous areas of the galaxy.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. rsovitzky

rsovitzky Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2014
    Elm Grove WI
    Nicely done! Makes me want to push thru my resistance to doing night stuff;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jersey devil

Jersey devil Mu-43 Regular

Mar 5, 2015
    Wow great work !!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Normally if you apply the 500 rule, your exposure time should have been 20s at 24mm FF term if you set it longer your will see movement of the stars, so instead of a dot you will see an oblique or small line. Your first picture came out great.
  5. Airth

Airth Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2015
    Japan Alps
    They look amazing, especially the first one. It wouldn't have occurred to me to 'paint' in the trees. I'm definitely going to go out and try it for myself.
    • Like Like x 1