1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

the metabones .64 x XL nikon to M4\3 on the PEN-F

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by cosinaphile, Apr 13, 2016.

1. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    Yes world , the new .64 focal l reducer XL FROM METABONES [for m43not the cinema version] works on the PEN-F

prior to working on the epl7 , this adapter could not be mounted on any olympus camera due to mechanical issues of the sensor surround .... it was approved for most newer panasonic m 43 cameras like the gh4 etc . and one earlier panny the gx1.

BECAUSE THE EPL7 IS SO RECENT , I REASONED that it might mount on the the pen f , so yesterday at adorama i tried two metabones adapters ,.... a used .71x speed booster nikon to m 4\3 and also a new xl .64 x version in same mount ....i also requested a epl7 from the shelf for a brief test the xl .64 version seemed to bind on my pen f for a second and i almost panicked , wow tight ....had i destroyed my sensor ??? i then mounted the older . 71 version on the pen and smooth and not super tight ...with the 24mm 2.8 nikkor things looked good working like a 17mm lens due to compression of the image circle . and a speed of f 2

so i mounterd the . 64x XL again on the pen it was tight but mounted and clicked reassuringly ...i put the nikkor 24mm 2.8 where it acted like a 15.36mm f 1.7 ish i shot a test shot and
    it seemed sharp and bright

using the lenses on this is a mixed bag ....they all looked good id say , but some are better than other s

nikkors or ...
    50mm 1.4 ais good
    58mm 1.4 ais voigtlander sl [nikon mount] superb
    50mm 1.2 ais v good [stopped down to 2, superb]
    24mm 2.8 ais v good
    35mm 2 af hmmm ok
    135mm 3.5 ai v good
    85 mm 1.4 ais rokonon superb
    this is completely unscientific and really a first impression ....some lenses were better near infinity than close up and some showed a bit of ca at some times but not others , also sample variation must be accounted for

there is definitely a difference in mounting tightness between the epl7 and the pen f , the pen being alarmingly tight at first ... a day later and some mounting and dismounting of lenses and its still tight but seems better ... or ive just gortten used to the feel .
    the .64x xl speedbooster is approved for the eply7 but not the pen f ...ive searched the web for info about compatibility and have found nothing ..

lastly, in examining closely the rear elements of the speedbooster and the mount interior of the pen f, i can not SEE ANY place where they are rubbing oR touching EVERYTHING SEEMS OK... so im giving this combo a thumbs up!

cheers from nyc

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's done now, but you need to be very careful with that process! The reason for compatibility is unlikely to be the lens mount, or even sensor baffling, but the location of the shutter. The XL adapters have protruding rear elements that can interrupt the shutter. I don't want to think about what would happen to a little metal shutter moving across the frame at 1/4000s when it strikes a solid object in the middle. It would probably need recalibration, to say the least...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    I SPENT A LITTTLE WHILE WITH BOTH metabones adapters , an epl7 , with known compatibility ... and the my pen f the shutter chamber and baffels are near identical between the cameras ....i did not proceed blindly ... and im comfortable with my conclusion that compatibility exists

the shutter was far back enough my worry was crushing the baffle and ruining the rear of the speedbooster and the interior chamber where all the good bits are

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. cosinaphile

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    actually ive been using the 35mm f2 nikkor with the metabonesquite alot , and contrary to my first impressions with the combination , its very sharp when adapted and image circle reduced

the 35mm behaves like a 22.4mm f1.3 lens which is extraordinary giving a full frame experence of 44.5mm