The main dial on my E-M5 just came off!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hkpzee, Oct 5, 2012.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    As I was thumbing through the main dial of my E-M5 to magnify the picture that I was reviewing, the cap on the dial just came off! :eek:

I am now wondering if I should just glue it back or take it into the repair shop?! Has anyone else experienced this with you E-M5?

DSC_0473_01.

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Looks like it is just a push fit than rather than scew secured or pressure studs - not good for a £1000+ camera.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    It appears to me that they just used a little bit of glue to stick the cap on the dial. The cap will not stay in place now that it is unglued. I agree that it is put together rather cheaply for such an expensive camera!

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thats really bad and concerning . I was using a friend's K7 - a 3 year old Pentax and still going strong.He does hiking etc and uses camera so roughly . Its really a shame on Olympus:mad::mad:
    Bhupinder

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Between here and DPR, I've seen more than a few complaints about this. Not quite a crisis, but pretty disappointing for a $1000 camera.

Some have super-glued it back on, but I'd worry that might complicate dis-assembly if a more major repair is ever required.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to say the least. I have decided to take it back to Olympus for a repair, worrying that if I glue it back by myself, they might not cover any future repair, if required...

Luckily, I live in a small city where the Olympus repair center is only 20 mins subway ride from my office...

8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
  9. geelog

geelog Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2012
    Calgary, AB
  10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry to learn about this issue, Hkpzee! Glad that you have a repair center so close and hope the turn around time is fast. Can you wait there and glare at them to improve service? :biggrin:

11. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    There are certainly problems with the Em-5 I think they rushed production and got it to the market before it was ready, as well as bits falling off we've had

loose lugs
    freezing
    banding
    firmware issues
    jerky IS

when paying £1000 for body only, these issues should just not happen

12. padoods

padoods Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2012
  13. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Maybe I should re-think my plan to switch to an OM5. Anyone know of the fiddly bits are falling off the K-30?

14. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
  15. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    good thing you are not buying Nikon D800 for over $3000 with its focus issues
    or canon pro gear with its issues
    or canon lens that often have to be sent back for issues :)

not saying its OK but seems everything these days has issues and not everything is perfect in *********** !!!! which is a bit of a bad thing when spending money I agree but even pro gear has major issues and some are isolated to very few lucky :)

16. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
  17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The fact that this is collecting people's full mailing address, sure it can hurt. I don't want to give my mailing address to entities I don't know (both the company who runs that site, and the maker of the petition).

It stopped me from signing it, even though I have two E-M5s.

18. padoods

padoods Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2012
    It doesn't really require you to put in your full address. I just put in my general address without the house number. If you are really worried about privacy then just make up an address :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

19. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    If that's the exact wording of the letter that will eventually go out to Olympus, I think that this effort will be pretty ineffective. It doesn't even clearly stated what you want Olympus to do. (ie - simply re-glue? or redesign and replace?)

The first sentence is more like a title. It looks more like your signing up for what is already a free recall, which is not the case. Frankly, I don't sign any petition for which I can't see exactly what's being sent out, and to whom. If this is exactly what's being sent to Oympus, it just doesn't cut it, IMO.