The main dial on my E-M5 just came off!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hkpzee, Oct 5, 2012.

1. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    As I was thumbing through the main dial of my E-M5 to magnify the picture that I was reviewing, the cap on the dial just came off! :eek:

I am now wondering if I should just glue it back or take it into the repair shop?! Has anyone else experienced this with you E-M5?

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Looks like it is just a push fit than rather than scew secured or pressure studs - not good for a £1000+ camera.
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    It appears to me that they just used a little bit of glue to stick the cap on the dial. The cap will not stay in place now that it is unglued. I agree that it is put together rather cheaply for such an expensive camera!
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thats really bad and concerning . I was using a friend's K7 - a 3 year old Pentax and still going strong.He does hiking etc and uses camera so roughly . Its really a shame on Olympus:mad::mad:
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Between here and DPR, I've seen more than a few complaints about this. Not quite a crisis, but pretty disappointing for a $1000 camera.

Some have super-glued it back on, but I'd worry that might complicate dis-assembly if a more major repair is ever required.
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed to say the least. I have decided to take it back to Olympus for a repair, worrying that if I glue it back by myself, they might not cover any future repair, if required...

Luckily, I live in a small city where the Olympus repair center is only 20 mins subway ride from my office...
  8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry to learn about this issue, Hkpzee! Glad that you have a repair center so close and hope the turn around time is fast. Can you wait there and glare at them to improve service? :biggrin:
  10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    There are certainly problems with the Em-5 I think they rushed production and got it to the market before it was ready, as well as bits falling off we've had

loose lugs
    firmware issues
    jerky IS

when paying £1000 for body only, these issues should just not happen
  11. padoods

padoods Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2012
  12. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Maybe I should re-think my plan to switch to an OM5. Anyone know of the fiddly bits are falling off the K-30?
  13. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
  14. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    good thing you are not buying Nikon D800 for over $3000 with its focus issues
    or canon pro gear with its issues
    or canon lens that often have to be sent back for issues :)

not saying its OK but seems everything these days has issues and not everything is perfect in *********** !!!! which is a bit of a bad thing when spending money I agree but even pro gear has major issues and some are isolated to very few lucky :)
  15. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
  16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The fact that this is collecting people's full mailing address, sure it can hurt. I don't want to give my mailing address to entities I don't know (both the company who runs that site, and the maker of the petition).

It stopped me from signing it, even though I have two E-M5s.
  17. padoods

padoods Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2012
    It doesn't really require you to put in your full address. I just put in my general address without the house number. If you are really worried about privacy then just make up an address :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  18. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    If that's the exact wording of the letter that will eventually go out to Olympus, I think that this effort will be pretty ineffective. It doesn't even clearly stated what you want Olympus to do. (ie - simply re-glue? or redesign and replace?)

The first sentence is more like a title. It looks more like your signing up for what is already a free recall, which is not the case. Frankly, I don't sign any petition for which I can't see exactly what's being sent out, and to whom. If this is exactly what's being sent to Oympus, it just doesn't cut it, IMO.