1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The magnanimous expense of an EP-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sjohnsonjd, Sep 3, 2013.

1. sjohnsonjd

sjohnsonjd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    Dear fellow M 4/3s people,

I have just seen the Panasonic Lumix GX7 and it looks really nice, with an electronic viewfinder and a 14-42 mm lens, and the same specs as an EP-5, that is somehow $300 less than an Olympus Pen ep-5. I am trying to buy either one of these cameras in October, however I wonder if Olympus just overpriced this camera? I compared the images between the two cameras and the Pany looks wonderful! I don't believe that the Olympus gives better images to justify the higher expense. Please chime in and tell me why the Olympus is better than the Pany and help me justify that kind of price.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    5-axis IBIS is the best IS system for any camera system. Saying that, if you don't need 5 axis IBIS for the type of subjects you shoot, then the GX7 does seem to be the better all around package at the moment. Not to mention the GX7 has basic IBIS, so you're covered there as well.

3. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm probably one of the few who prefer the optional evf. I've had the e-m1 and loved it but it was not as small as my ep-3. The e-p5 has the tech (5-axis, e-m5 sensor) and the form of a pen.

As weird as it sounds I wanted to pay more for the optional evf. That said the gx7 sounds like a great value but it does not have 5-axis. And the damn evf hump is annoying. Of the hump doesn't bother you as much I'd say go for the gx7.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The GX7 has a flat top. If you don't want the back portion of the EVF to protrude, you can flip it up. I don't see how that's an issue?

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Personally, I've said from the beginning that the E-P5 is WAY overpriced, as have most PEN's been on release. Compared to an E-M5 it is lacking major features.

The GX7 to me looks like a better deal -- but it's really personal preference. But my somewhat unpopular opinion in these parts is that the E-P5 was a waste of resources for Olympus that won't gain it much traction in the dwindling micro four thirds market.

Lower prices are needed on these cameras. They sell for more than DSLR's and often offer LESS. 5-axis IBIS is good, but it's not magic and I take photos without it and guess what? I get my shots anyway, lol. I say this as some who owned and shot the E-M5 for about a year and decided it didn't quite cut it for me. I actually like the old Panasonic GH2 better, lol. Luddite.

The E-P5 is a simple iteration and combination of existing Oly tech, for too much money, and not at all a real push forward. The GX7 can share some of that rap... except that it does put together more (with the viewfinder) and at a lower price point. Bravo Panasonic -- I think you may be getting it.

Smaller cameras, less moving parts, less parts in GENERAL -- and higher prices than DSLR's. Wow. No wonder micro four thirds is lagging.

6. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    The GX7 could be said to have better IBIS than the Oly 2-axis, which is to say all Olys except E-P5 and E-M5.
    Considering that I specifically shoot manual lenses, I would say the Oly would have more utility, but whether that utility is worth the premium is a tough call. Either of them is an upgrade to my E-P2.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I can't stand shooting without an EVF, and most of my lenses are stabilized. ALL of my long lenses are stabilized, and those are where it matters most. For me, the Oly is overpriced.

Other people have different shooting styles, lenses, and needs. For them, the Oly is perhaps a better value. Each of us needs to evaluate OUR needs and wants against the vast number of choices available, and decide what fits best for OUR needs, not anyone else's.

It's nice to have choices, and competition.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Overall I prefer the ergonomics of the E-P5 over the GX7{from looking at pics and side-by-side comparisons}. I have VF-2s for my current PENs and really like them. That said, Olympus WAY overpriced the E-P5 as well as the new VF-4. I figure however they will drop in price in the next month or two because of the GX7 and for Christmas sales.

9. sjohnsonjd

sjohnsonjd Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    If I can get the Ep5 for the lower price, I would say that the design would win me over. But it's doubtful that it would come down in price between now and the end of the Christmas season. Panny-$1100 for everything I want. Olympus-$1450. Arguably the same camera. Olympus needs to care about this kind of stuff.

10. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Wait 18 months and the E-P5 will be on closeout for $300. I bought an E-P3 out the gate in late 2011 for $899. I saw it at Adorama and Amazon this summer going for $300. The GX7 will come down too. I recall the GX1 selling for $700 body only a year ago. They were $200 during this late spring and summer. Unless you really crave the latest and the greatest, last year's model is selling for a reasonable or even cheap price.

11. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    And I believe GX7 has got a better sensor for AF in dark and imaging; but Oly has always got better shutter response and colour IMO, and there's an endless P vs O to follow. So as John said, it's really just personal preference.

12. Based on aesthetics, tactile feel, and just a general want, I think that the Pen style (not the lites or the minis) are the most desirable cameras in the entire Micro 4/3 range, especially now that the E-P5 has added most of the headline features of the big brother E-M5 plus a few new ones of it's own.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    There are still a number of unknowns with the GX7 - RAW quality among them. Still, it's hard to justify Olympus' pricing.

14. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I'm quite ok with the PEN E-P5 pricing. It is a brilliant little camera. I've also got the G6, and when I swap between the two, the VF4 is just in such a different league. The GX7 viewfinder has to be very special to make up for it...

It has surprised me how often I actually shoot without EVF...The rear screen is fantastic, and for my style it works really really well. I also like to shoot with waist level finder which is does perfectly...However when I do require that precision, the VF4 on it own would be worth the money...It is absolutely brilliant...

But also on the PEN, I like the button layout...The two proper control dials are just like my Nikon dSLR, perfect location, nice feel and instant response on the camera...

Naturally I haven't held a GX7, but I really do hope it feels better than the plasticky cheap feel of the G6...

Bottomline is that it is great to have such choice in the m43 format...

15. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Don't think it will drop that low with E-P5s, look at GH2 still selling for good price even though it come out in 2010

16. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I'm either going to buy an E-P5 or a GX7 sometime in the new year. For the times I shoot JPG's I want to see how well the GX7 performs in color hue accuracy. The Imaging resource always tests for color accuracy, Olympus is usually better than average and Panasonic a little bit worse than average. For those that only shoot raw this is a non issue since raw converter like a LR will do a better job with color accuracy than the Panasonic JPG engine.

Other than that I could go either way. And while I loved to have a built in viewfinder for my needs using the optional one is just fine.

Another thing that I don't like about the GX7 is no IBIS during videos. Although I rarely shoots videos now, I don't want to have to buy a Panasonic IS lens to use for videos with a GX7.

17. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    The ep5 was indeed expensive and will no doubt drop in price. Why did I preorder? Well, after owning a few apsc, full frame, and m43 cameras, I knew what kind of shooter and feature I wanted. And the ep5 was almost exactly what I was looking for. Enough to pay just about whatever to have it. :)

18. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Then it will get tangled to my backpack strap, or bumped by my arm/elbow. It also looks less sturdy in this position so I'm afraid I'll break it. Either way it will still be an annoyance.

I don't know how the pana IBS will compare to the 5-axis but having owned the em-5 and now the e-p5, I'll be hard to beat. That one feature alone is worth more to me than an integrated EVF

Now if they would make a m43 camera with an EVF like the ones found on the Leica M9... Then that would be the PERFECT camera IMO.
    3909093718_ba8e792a99_z.

Attached Files:

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Panasonic doesn't make 100 million of each body type like Olympus does :smile:
    E-P5 is "in stock" at pretty much every place which leads me to believe that like the other guy said, the prices will drop like a rock in 18-24 months.

20. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have owned 5 m4/3 cameras and the EP-5 is what I have been looking for. The controls are simply that good for me. YMMV.

The GX-7 looks great too but it is an unproven commodity to me. The EP-5 is the real deal. The 1/8000 shutter is something I have been looking for and the focus peaking really works IMO. The biggest deal is the ergonomics. This camera finally works for me. Better than the OM-D for me at least.

As far as prices goes, they are both high and you should wait until the price drops on either. I had pictures to take and life was moving on so I decided to just get the EP-5 and I am glad I did. If the few hundred in difference between the cameras is a huge barrier, I strongly recommend the EP-3 for $259 at the Olympus store right now. It is hard to say either of the cameras will take photos four times better than the EP-3.

https://www.mu-43.com/f89/olympus-e-p3-17mm-2-8-lens-256-00-a-52050/