1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The MAC Grand Opening

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by GaryAyala, Jan 19, 2013.

1. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Whitney High School orchestrates a Grand Opening for its new MAC (Multi-Media Activity Center). This was an evening of music, song and dance.

GRAB0126.
    OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 100mm, 1/90, f/2.8, ISO 1600

GRAA0476-L.
    OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 100mm, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

GRAA0720-XL.
    OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 100mm, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

GRAA0146.
    OM-D w/ O12mm, 1/125, f/2, ISO 1600

GRAA0690.
    OM-D w/ P7-14 @ 14mm, 1/125, f/4, ISO 1600

GRAA0269.
    OM-D w/ P7-14 @ 7mm, 1/60, f/4, ISO 1600

More Here: The MAC

Gary

• Like Like x 7
  2. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Nice Gary.

Thanks.

3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    What fantastic shots. I really wish people would stop posting pics from the 35-100. It's all I can do to resist buying one even though I can't afford it right now ;-)

4. TDP

TDP Guest

that last shot is awesome

5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    It looks like a great night,you covered it well.Like these plus 9 and 12.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for the compliment.

GRAA0114.
    OM-D w/ O12mm, 1/125, f/2.8, ISO 1600

Gary

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL, Okay, here's one with the P7-14 @ 7mm

GRAA0278.

Gary

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks, I was trying to show some of the theatre.

GRAA0573-M.

Gary

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for checking out the website. I tossed a ton of them up for the kids. (If it was just for me I would have whittled the mess down to about 20 images.)

GRAA0535.

Gary

10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Very nice, #2 is so good as is #5...I really enjoyed both of those in particular. For me those 2 images really demonstrate a skill that I really admire in your work Gary and that is your ability to make a wonderful image USING so much darkness.

When you post such images they each serve as a less

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Very nice, #2 is so good as is #5...I really enjoyed both of those in particular. For me those 2 images demonstrate a skill that I really admire in much of your work Gary and that is your ability to make a wonderful image USING SO MUCH darkness.

When you post such images they each serve to demonstrate a very important skill that I hope to learn to the point it comes naturally...when looking for the light (something which is drummed into us newbies mercilessly) ...that it pays to look at the darkness and shadow.

Thanks Gary.

12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Agree on the use of darkness/exposure to make his subjects pop. Number #2 is obviously good, but #5 is special because it grabs you and pulls you in. That distant bit of light and color.

Mr. Ayala has some special skills and a well developed and experienced eye for some unique compositions.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks Joe. In general, (nothing to do #2 and #5), most photogs look at the reflected light, the image/subject in the viewfinder. There are times when it is helpful to focus on just the light, the pure light before it reflects off your subject. See the angle (direction), the quality (harsh/soft), the color then think about what happens to the light if you move.

In the evening, around the golden hour when the light is at a low angle, find a large water fountain (in a park usually) then slowly walk around the fountain, concentrate of the water droplets and focus on how you merely walking around the fountain effects the droplets.

GRAA0435.

Gary

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thank you RoadTraveler. I was looking at a few things in that image. As this is a new theatre, I was attempting to give a feel for the theatre without the distraction of all the bodies. As this is a high school performance, I try to put myself in the shoes of the performer ... and I'm thinking that if it was me on stage I'd be thinking "... gawd, look at all those people." I sorta tried to project that feeling by showing how small the performer must feel. Thirdly, I just thought it was an unusual shot to go wide (as you stated a "unique composition"). Again, thank you for the compliments, you are very kind.

Gary

GRAA0245-XL.

15. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Welcome sir.

You had a focus and idea about what the performer and their possible thoughts and how you wanted to share that...and were actually able to hit your target. :smile:

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The shot wasn't quite what I wanted.

This is more of the feel I wanted (from other WHS performances different years):

IMG_5215-XL.

A sense of loneliness, just you, nowhere to hide ...

2CBL5050-XL.

But for that night it worked. BTW (BTW = not that you care but ...) - The singers were Whitney alumni,

GRAB0312-L.
    Emy Baysic - Miss Saigon - Broadway Production

GRAA0687.
    Tiffany, graduated last year and is presently studying music in Chicago. A distinct voice, a deeply penetrating voice with a touch of country tang.

Gary

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great set! :bravo-009: