1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The M&M colour tests

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ghetto, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

Inspired by another thread, https://www.mu-43.com/f38/m-ms-micro-rail-43015/#post417050, I had to run out and buy some M&Ms. These are Australian M&M's of 3 different types in each row. All photos were taken with the E-P1 in jpg mode.

This is with the 17mm f2.8, no flash. Notice the green M&M's in particular.
    mm_h_stack.

Just to be more similar to the otherposts, this is taken with a flash.
    mm_flash.

Here's a close of up the red/green/blue using the 17mm flipped backwards, notice how smooth an consistent the colour is on the shell.
    mm_red.
    mm_green.
    mm_blue.

Here's the set taken with the 70-300mm just to change lenses to see if it makes a difference.
    mm_70_300.

One M&M was accidentally harmed during this study.
    mm_broken.

Please post pictures of M&Ms along with the country of origin and lets compare! (in the name of science of course).

• Like Like x 1
  2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Hmmm... I've heard of colour matching of monitors but M&M matching?

3. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

pffffttt don't tell me you're one of those people who calibrate your camera against skittles :149:

• Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Don't you like Skittles? :confused: :biggrin:

5. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

alright, post up your skittles and we'll see which is better for colour calibration - in the name of science of course :drinks:

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I wish this was possible with beer :frown:

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you want to color match correctly you have to use the big box of crayolas! :biggrin:

8. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I color match to soft drinks on all my cameras and the display on my computer.

9. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Does the lens matter, or can I use my vintage glass on my GF5? Perhaps I use them all. In the name of science of course.

Later tonight, while walking in the door-

"Hun, I need to go buy a couple big bags of M&Ms."

10. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    That's not an M&M color checker, THIS is an M&M color checker:

P1000303-SP-L.

• Like Like x 5
  11. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

woa! you must give details of this... the quality of the "m" on those look much better than mine and you have more colours. We need more info! you can't leave us hanging like this!

12. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

of course the lens matters! you'll have to test them all :biggrin:

our reviews should rival that of any photography (or chcoloate) review site, we may need to calculate and graph when cacao diffusion sets in too and produce m&mtf charts. :tongue:

13. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Some candy stores and even a few higher end super-markets around here (Baltimore, MD - USA) have bulk M&M bins of many, many colors. A few years ago I did a "photo-a-day" for a month to trigger creativity and this was one of my daily shots after seeing all the M&M colors at a store I was in. Thought it was a funny take on a Macbeth chart. I think you can order various colors online and even get things other than an "M" printed custom (for wedding favors and the like). But if you can find a candy store with them then it is much easier to just grab one or two of each color and get what you need for probably less than a dollar.

As to the "M"s looking nice I think it is because these are the plain chocolate M&Ms which are very uniform in shape. The peanut ones of course are much more random as they conform to whatever peanut is inside.

Glad you liked my visual joke!