The love that dare not speak its name

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dixeyk, Nov 20, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just picked up an E-P1 today (second time around for me). I'll be the first to say that it is a EXTREMELY frustrating camera at times but it is also terribly satisfying as well. I use a G2 as my main camera and am very happy with it. When I something that is comfortable and an extension of my hand I grab the G2.

Enter the GF2. I like this camera. It takes excellent photos, it's small, fast, has a thumbwheel, terrific UI, IQ and HD video. By all accounts it should be the bees knees when it comes to wanting to change things up form the G2 but for the life of me I just cannot seem to really commit to it. There is absolutely nothing that I can point to as an issue. But...I have missed that old E-P1 something awful since I sold it. It's slow, has a low resolution LCD, no chance of an EVF (one of my BIG needs in a camera), abysmal AF (although there are settings to make it tolerable) and yet here I am again with the E-P1. In fact when I first started looking it was going to be for someone else but they changed their mind and STILL I decided to get it.

I'm looking forward to getting it in hand and using it again. My old E-P1 seemed particularly happy with the Panasonic 14/2.5 attached to it so I think that's where I'll start.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, she's a wicked temptress. I hardly ever used it, but when I picked it up, the whole world slowed down. I'm glad it's going to someone who's as crazy about it as I was. If I hadn't just bought another slow, quirky, awkward to-use-camera, I'd have surely kept it.
  3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I understand you because the same happened to me even if in a different way. My first m4/3 was an E-pl1 and really loved it. After buying and trying other cameras I'm back to Oly with an E-p2 and E-pl2. AND I LOVE my E-P2 more than the E-pl2. Well it's something subtle but what can I say? I don't know.:confused:
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep, and its not really and Olympus/Panasonic thing because I love my G2 as well. Its just that there is something about the E-P1 that is really...different. In some ways the G2 and the E-P1 compliment one another perfectly where as the G2 and GF2 are too similar.

Its definitely a passion thing. Off to buy it a new Gordy strap...I think black leather and red bindings. Hmmm...
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'll make sure she sends photos
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    There is something wondrous and beautiful about the E-P1. I was very happy with my E-PL1 but when I got my hands on the E-P1 I just stopped using the other camera and eventually sold it. I may upgrade to an E-P3 at some point, but I expect to hold on to the E-P1.
  8. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I have hardly touched my E-PL1 since I Got my new old E-P1 last month. I really liked the E-PL1 but I LOVE the E-P1. And not just because it's beautiful, though that helps... For what I use it for the focus speed is not an issue... For fast street shooting I use my GRD in snap mode. I essentially never use flash, so that is not an issue. I have no problem manual focusing on the LCD so I never even got an EVF. And there have already been a few times when I was glad to have shutter speeds faster than 1/2000 or ISO above 3200. Yes I see a tad more noise than with the E-PL1, but easily fixed with DFine when needed. And the auto white balance is great, which it most certainly was NOT with the E-PL1. I find myself using the level sometimes and I am very happy that the photos rotate themselves without my intervention in Aperture.

I plan to take both with me on my upcoming long Norwegian cruise so that I can keep different lenses on them to be ready quickly, but depending on how that goes, I may just get rid of the E-PL1 after.... Naw prolly not... Always good to have a backup.

Anyway, in conclusion the E-P1 is an easy camera to love even if not the latest greatest and a right bargain nowadays if you get one in good shape

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lol, it's true, it's true!

Although I must admit I am the reverse with the E-P1 and E-PL1: it's the Pen Lite (or perhaps not-so-lite) that is my Olympus go-to camera now.
  10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have to say the same thing about the GF1 vs the G3.

The G3 is superior in every way ... And yet it doesn't elicit the emotional response that the GF1 does.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Interesting that you would assume that I didn't know where that was from (I started my education as a theatre major oh so many years ago). The thread title was intentionally chosen. I was was wondering if someone would catch it. Gold star for you kevinparis...I'll send you a free DVD of Oscar Wilde's Greatest Hits sung by the cast of Glee.
  12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I didn't think it was possible for someone to accidentally use that terminology - I just assumed it was a play on those words, that concept.

I had an EP2 for a good long while and loved it. But as a street shooter, I always wanted better AF speed and/or less shutter lag and/or faster write times. So the camera could just be more responsive. I prefer the EP3 or, in my case, the EPL3 on every level. I can still slow down as much as I want in my more deliberative shooting, but I'm not FORCED to do the same thing when I want the camera to react quickly!

The EP1 and EP2 are wonderful cameras. If you're into landscapes, still life, and other types of relatively static, contemplative shooting, there isn't a single thing wrong with them. But if you need a responsive camera, they're not one! Nothing makes me want to go back to my EP2 after shooting with the current generation of Pens.

I guess that's the more obvious kind of love and why its so easy to speak of openly... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It is funny how that works. I have tried and tried to love that GF2 and try as I might it just isn't happening. I used to have a beat up old Subaru wagon that I felt that way about. It was a hunk of junk but man I loved that thing. It was slow, ugly and inferior in every way to just about anything on the road but it was a GREAT car.
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

I agree with you Ray, if I were a street shooter I would definitely favor the more responsive camera. In that case something like the E-P3, GX1 or E-PL3 would be my choice. Small, discreet and fast. But...I'm not a street shooter and the E-P1 is a great match for the kind of stuff I do. I like to wander and shoot interesting shapes, objects. Not much that I photograph can run away. I do favor the use of an EVF (that's why I have the G2) but I consider the E-P1 as a sort of challenge. It'll have my Panasonic 14/2.5 or 20/1.7 so maybe an OVF might be fun.

15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this is what i immediately thought, lol
    i thought it was going to be pics of a commitment ceremony or something, hehehe :)
  16. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Like with all love affairs there is some passion and mystery involved and maybe vengeance. Yes the cameras are surely females: passion, love' mystery and subtle vengeance like only women know how to do. Why? Because the EP2 Was the camera I din't ever consider and now it got me completly.
  17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Got you to look didn't it?
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Interesting thread here because in my eyes, there's nothing wrong with the E-P1....

But then again, I have no experience with it since I have the E-PL1 & E-PL2..
  19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Having had the E-P1, E-PL1 and the E-PL2 at work I think they're all fine cameras. Like anything each thing has its eccentricities. The E-P1 is just a really nice match of form and function. Part of it's allure is undoubtedly the design. It's a very pretty camera. I really do appreciate the aesthetics of it The E-P1 and E-P2 (and to a lesser degree the E-P3).

There are DEFINITELY some quirks with the E-P1 but the same can be said of my Konica Auto S2, Olympus 35RC and 35 Trip. They're still great cameras in their own way. The E-P1 can do what I need and I like it enough to deal wit the frustrating things about it. That said, I don't know that I would have the E-P1 as my only camera. Maybe...I have to think about that
  20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    sure did! :D