1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Love/Hate Relationship with the Panasonic 45-175 X & The E-PM1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here are my initial impressions of the Panasonic 45-175 X lens on an Olympus E-PM1:

First the bad. On a third gen Olympus Pen like the E-PM1, the IBIS and the 45-175 X do not seem to get along. I found myself having to revert to fast shutter speeds and turning IBIS off to get sharp photos. Once this was done, the 45-175 X worked great. Apparently the E-PM1 IBIS doesn't want to play nice with long focal lengths. I need to test the lens with other Olympus bodies, but on the E-PM1 I wouldn't use IBIS with this lens.

Now the good. The lens is incredibly small and has a nice rubber zoom ring. The fact it doesn't telescope out is great and it uses 46mm filters. The bokeh quality is smooth, the colors look great and when you properly lock focus, the image quality is fairly sharp. This lens is strictly a daytime lens in my opinion.

I'm a little torn whether to keep it or not. On one hand the size is perfect for a camera like the E-PM1. On the other hand, the E-PM1 IBIS is real junk and you might be better off getting a Pany 100-300 with the OIS switch which allows the lens stabilizer to work. Olympus needs to get on the ball and release a firmware that allows you to use lens OIS with the X lenses.

Anyways, here are some picture samples I took with the E-PM1 & 45-175 X:

• Like Like x 3
  2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    You're out of luck here. It just doesn't make good business sense for Olympus to spend their time and effort on a firmware to allow or make the use of a competitors product better on their cameras (in an ideal world we would wish that they would but we do not live in an ideal world) as that could directly result in lower sales of their lenses and lower profits. What is more likely is that Olympus may try to compete by having a smaller X-type lens in their product line.

I am not saying this in defence of Olympus (I have never nor do I currently own any Olympus products) but just out of common sense.

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus at least needs to fix the IBIS on the E-PM1. It works fine for slow shutter speed applications, but when you need fast shutter speeds at longer focal lengths, that's where I'm seeing the most problems. It would cause image blur, despite using a proper shutter speed in relation to the focal length.

Honestly the strength of M43 is being able to use all lenses with 100% compatibility. If OIS won't work on an Olympus body, then to me that defeats the whole purpose of the system.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    All Olympus would need to do is to auto switch off IBIS if shutter speed is faster than 1/fl. But its not too hard to remember to do it yourself.

How does Panasonics get around this 'issue' with their OIS? No blur from their image stabilisation with fast shutter speeds?

5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had no problems with IBIS until the E-PM1. It's just not as reliable. I've tried IBIS on an E-P2 and E-PL2 which both worked great. The E-PM1 IBIS is really screwy.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I wonder if it is just IBIS with the E-PM1 or if the E-PL3 has the same issue?

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I treat IBIS like flash, off by default. Only to be used on special occasions. Sounds like you guys are saying that on the earlier models, it can just be left on permanently with no penalty. Or am I missing something?

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice photos, great color. I leave IBIS off on my E-PM1 at all times (it's total junk). If I need to use Oly 45 in low light, I use it with my E-PL2 which has fantastic IBIS, tack sharp at 1/20s.
    Panny 14 doesn't really need IS so it's a perfect fit for E-PM1.

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I sold my E-PL2 thinking I could make due with one body (I also have a Nikon kit :wink:), but I'm really thinking about getting another E-PL2 for long lens shooting and solid IBIS. I love the E-PM1 shooting speed and AWB, I just wish Olympus would stop giving and then taking away features! :mad:

10. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Nice shots. How do you turn of the OIS in the lens? Or does that turn off by default with an Oly body? I have an E-PL3 and was wondering about this lens? But have heard mixed reports of its OIS on both Oly and Panny bodies.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    To have both you'd need to step up to E-P3: working IBIS AND fast AF, AWB, etc. plus bounceable built-in flash and touch to focus as a bonus. But then it's noticeably larger and heavier... One thing which started to annoy me about E-PM1 is that its flash cannot be bounced....

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have an E-P3, and have been looking long and hard at an E-PL3 or E-PM3 as a second body, thinking that both are comparable in all aspects except for ergonomics. After playing with both cameras at the shop many times, I still couldn't pull the trigger as I was put off by the small LCD display at the 4:3 aspect ratio compared to the E-P3. This IBIS issue with the PM3 or PL3 is news to me, and is making my decision even tougher... =(

13. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I'm in the same boat. I suppose one could use the PM1 or PL3 for the wider lenses that have less need for IS, and use the P3 for the longer lenses.

14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    With E-PL2 yes, but how to do it with E-P3?

15. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    IBIS and Gitzo

My E-PL3 IBIS is essentially worthless to me. I've not found any instance where IBIS has provided me a fully acceptable image. Gitzo is my friend. YMMV. :biggrin:

16. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    What does IBIS stands for?

I got that IS means image stabilization, but what about the IB part?

17. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    In Body

Panasonic do IS in their lenses (some of them anyway) rather than in the body (an Oly thing).

• Like Like x 1
  18. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Is the IBIS on the E-PL3 any different from previous models. I had a PL1 before and it seemed fine as does my current PL3. What makes it worthless? Thanks.

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are reports Olympus changed the shutter mechanism with the E-PM1 & E-PL3 which hasn't been as reliable with IBIS as previous models and the E-P3. Apparently the E-P3 IBIS works fine, but it doesn't do the 5fps burst rate.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I ended up ordering another E-PL2. I was considering an E-P3, but I like having two bodies and the E-PM1 has it's advantages being that small. To be honest, I like the E-PL2 image output. It renders slightly more contrasty images compared to the E-PM1 even at the same settings.