The local cement factory

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Pim, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Took a walk in my hometown today, and found this cement factory situated at a small canal. All pictures taken with Oly E-PL3 and assorted lenses.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 17
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice shots! The b&w treatment is really nice. Is it HDR or just high contrast/blacks?

3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the nice comment..:) These were shot in Raw, with some minor adjustments in LR3 if needed, and finished in Silver FX. I recently purchased this plugin and am still trying to find my perfect settings, but yes these ones in general received a bump in contrast and clarity, so I guess you could call them high contrast B&W...:)

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Really like the series and great post processing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Amazing tonality to these, I'm very impressed. Reminiscent of Bernd and Hilla Becher.

6. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Mabelsound, have to admit I did not know Bernd & Hilla Becher, but Google is always a great help of course...:) And looking at their work yes I did notice some similar (and very interesting) pictures... Thx for the tip!

7. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Strong work! Nicely composed

• Like Like x 1
  8. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Great images. I love industrial stuff.

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice stuff---I love all the lines-- and you have a good eye!

10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    These are absolutely fabulous compositions. -Chrome

11. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind comments! Yes I am finding more and more that I care less about color, but more about lines, perspective, patterns etc... Even though it was a sunny day when I took these, with clear blue skies, I still found they worked better in Black & White...

12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stunning photos Pim. I love the lines and perspective and processing- which is practically everything about the photos. I like how you said you went for a walk and 'found' this huge monstrosity. Made me smile.

What do you think the pipes along the side of the wall are used for?

best,
    icon

13. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Icon, this is probably my favorite of the series as well.. Actually it is a cement and concrete factory (Google tells me cement is an ingredient of concrete). The factory makes different types for different applications, so I assume the pipes are for "uploading" these raw materials into the mixer or blender or whatever that thing is called, hiding in the building behind the pipes.

And when I said I found it: of course I knew it was there, my hometown is not that big...:) and I actually pass it from a distance every day on my way to and from work, but I had never been this close and when I walked past it last Sunday I was surprised to find the factory was not protected by any fence or gate, so I was able to walk onto the actual terrain... Bit strange but I guess there is not a huge black market for stolen concrete on Ebay...:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    I freakin' LOVE industrial photography.

Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.