The local cement factory

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Pim, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Took a walk in my hometown today, and found this cement factory situated at a small canal. All pictures taken with Oly E-PL3 and assorted lenses.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 17
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice shots! The b&w treatment is really nice. Is it HDR or just high contrast/blacks?

3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the nice comment..:) These were shot in Raw, with some minor adjustments in LR3 if needed, and finished in Silver FX. I recently purchased this plugin and am still trying to find my perfect settings, but yes these ones in general received a bump in contrast and clarity, so I guess you could call them high contrast B&W...:)

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Really like the series and great post processing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Amazing tonality to these, I'm very impressed. Reminiscent of Bernd and Hilla Becher.

6. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Mabelsound, have to admit I did not know Bernd & Hilla Becher, but Google is always a great help of course...:) And looking at their work yes I did notice some similar (and very interesting) pictures... Thx for the tip!

7. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Strong work! Nicely composed

• Like Like x 1
  8. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Great images. I love industrial stuff.

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice stuff---I love all the lines-- and you have a good eye!

10. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    These are absolutely fabulous compositions. -Chrome

11. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind comments! Yes I am finding more and more that I care less about color, but more about lines, perspective, patterns etc... Even though it was a sunny day when I took these, with clear blue skies, I still found they worked better in Black & White...

12. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stunning photos Pim. I love the lines and perspective and processing- which is practically everything about the photos. I like how you said you went for a walk and 'found' this huge monstrosity. Made me smile.

What do you think the pipes along the side of the wall are used for?

best,
    icon

13. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Icon, this is probably my favorite of the series as well.. Actually it is a cement and concrete factory (Google tells me cement is an ingredient of concrete). The factory makes different types for different applications, so I assume the pipes are for "uploading" these raw materials into the mixer or blender or whatever that thing is called, hiding in the building behind the pipes.

And when I said I found it: of course I knew it was there, my hometown is not that big...:) and I actually pass it from a distance every day on my way to and from work, but I had never been this close and when I walked past it last Sunday I was surprised to find the factory was not protected by any fence or gate, so I was able to walk onto the actual terrain... Bit strange but I guess there is not a huge black market for stolen concrete on Ebay...:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    I freakin' LOVE industrial photography.

Well done.

• Like Like x 1