1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The letter X

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xdayv, Feb 11, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    What's with the letter X on the camera model names?

You might have read it somewhere, but allow me to share my latest rambling (blog) on this matter:

X ยป dave martinez photography

cheers!

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    It isn't the first time. In the seventies Minolta named their lenses for the American market Rokkor-X; in screaming orange so that their esteemed customers would not overlook this significant upgrade :rolleyes:. This marketing technique was not used in Europe, where Rokkors remained Rokkors. Apparently Minolta didn't want to waste this marketing effort on barbaric Europeans :biggrin:.

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/17736578_sh5gfN"> i-jFXF5kt-M. </a>

• Like Like x 1
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Might be trying to appeal to the Gen x ers. They are one of the largest purchasing demographic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, for my generation (or at least for myself & friends), anything (well.. like clothes, sneakers, hats, video games, etc) that has an X or limited edition
    added to the title or name, makes it more appealing :tongue:

I know, mostly it's a marketing ploy, but its a marketing ploy that works!

• Like Like x 1
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I think simply because camera makers think it sounds cool, high tech... etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Do I really care? Why do you care? Does it really matter what a camera is called, as opposed to how it works? Except that it wouldn't sell very well, I wouldn't care if Panasonic called the GH2 the 'turd.'

Actually, Toyota does call some of their trucks 'turds', and it doesn't seem to hurt sales at all. (Toyota Racing Division - TRD, aka 'turd' :biggrin:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Though I'll bet that camera makers could show you market research showing that a camera call "The Turd" probably wouldn't sell very well lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, yes. In fact, I said as much. Read carefully: