1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The letter X

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xdayv, Feb 11, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    What's with the letter X on the camera model names?

You might have read it somewhere, but allow me to share my latest rambling (blog) on this matter:

X » dave martinez photography

cheers!

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    It isn't the first time. In the seventies Minolta named their lenses for the American market Rokkor-X; in screaming orange so that their esteemed customers would not overlook this significant upgrade :rolleyes: . This marketing technique was not used in Europe, where Rokkors remained Rokkors. Apparently Minolta didn't want to waste this marketing effort on barbaric Europeans :biggrin:.

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/17736578_sh5gfN">
    i-jFXF5kt-M.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    </a>

• Like Like x 1
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Might be trying to appeal to the Gen x ers. They are one of the largest purchasing demographic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, for my generation (or at least for myself & friends), anything (well.. like clothes, sneakers, hats, video games, etc) that has an X or limited edition
    added to the title or name, makes it more appealing :tongue:

I know, mostly it's a marketing ploy, but its a marketing ploy that works!

• Like Like x 1
  5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I think simply because camera makers think it sounds cool, high tech... etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Do I really care? Why do you care? Does it really matter what a camera is called, as opposed to how it works? Except that it wouldn't sell very well, I wouldn't care if Panasonic called the GH2 the 'turd.'

Actually, Toyota does call some of their trucks 'turds', and it doesn't seem to hurt sales at all. (Toyota Racing Division - TRD, aka 'turd' :biggrin:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Though I'll bet that camera makers could show you market research showing that a camera call "The Turd" probably wouldn't sell very well lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, yes. In fact, I said as much. Read carefully:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.