1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The lens I want or the lens I need

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DynaSport, Feb 6, 2018.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Ok, maybe need is a bit strong. It is hard to say I ‘need’ any more lenses. Maybe it would be more accurate to say the lens I want versus the one that fills a hole. You see, I don’t currently have an ultra wide angle lens. I’ve actually never had an ultra wide angle lens for any camera I’ve had. So, I’ve been thinking about getting the PL8-18 for my next lens. It’s not cheap, but I like the range of the zoom and the reviews are good. But the lens I want is the 300/4. I enjoy wildlife photography, although I really don’t get to do nearly as much of it as I would like. I currently have the P100-300 that I use for that purpose. My results with that lens have improved as I’ve learned better how to use it, but of course the 300 Pro is a pretty big step up in price and quality. In all honesty, I would probably use the 40-150 2.8 more than either of those lenses, but it is a pretty hefty lens to me for general purpose and too short for most wildlife, which is when I don’t mind a larger lens as photography is often my purpose for the outing. But I am getting more into portraits and while I currently use primes for portraits, I would think the 40-150 2.8 would be a great portrait lens.

This is all fairly academic at the moment as I don’t have the funds set aside for a lens purchase at the moment, but I’m pretty sure I’ll end up with one of these at some point this year and I’m enjoying thinking through the decision.

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Dan, you have an E-M1.1, right? Do you already own the 40-150Pro? If not, I would suggest a compromise solution: the O50-200SWD which along with the TC-14 teleconverter gets you to 283mm/4.9. The IQ is not that of the 300, but it is only a notch below. And the lens+TC+adapter can be picked up for around $500. That gives you the reach you want and frees up the budget for a wide-angle lens.

Like you, I never owned a wide angle lens in more than 25 years of shooting. Bought the O9-18 and loved in on vacations, but hardly use it in daily photography. So I ended up selling it with the intention of getting the P8-18 some time in the future. If you want to dip your toes into wide-angle and are not sure about spending the $1000 or so for a P8-18, the O9-18 might be a starting option to see if you and wide-angle get along.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    I've looked at the 300 f4 also. I think that renting it for the occasional shoot would be better (for me) if I could find a shop that rents one. I also have the P100-300 which does a decent job and find that the 40-150 Pro (+tc) actually gets the most use of all my m4/3 lenses. I did get a ebay metal grip for the Em5 ll which makes handling the 40-150 much easier. I'd recommend that lens plus the tc based on your comment

• Like Like x 1
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Here, I will help confuse you...

You can get close to both with the cheaper alternatives. You can probably get the Oly 9-18 and the Panasonic 100-400 for less than the Oly 300. While they have their compromises, they are worthy for consideration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Dynasport, I feel your pain.

Have some of the same musings myself for the moment, but added to that are the body upgrades that spins around in the nogging... Hope to be a greedy boy, hog all and off-set the costs with selling off the shelf warmers, from both the camera shelf and gun cabinet.

6. DynaSport

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don’t even want to think about upgrading the body. They depreciate so much more than lenses that I will probably wait until the E-M1 II or G9 or much cheaper used. That’s how I got my E-M1 and I really like it.

And I seem to rarely ever sell anything. Even when I’m not using it. It’s a disease.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. JensM

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    The selling stuff are a treshold I managed to break last fall, so I have off-loaded big chunks of hoarding for decades. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. DynaSport

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    So, what are you selling out of your gun cabinet? No! No! Nevermind. I really don’t need any more guns.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. JensM

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    A Smith MP45, a Ruger Varmint Predator .223 and a C452 Varmint with treads and can.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Check here

11. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    If you've never had an UWA then you may not get on with them, I find them tricky to compose well with.
    I agree with Ivoire that renting first would be best, if that's not practical then I would recommend trying a cheaper UWA, there are quite a few options that will leave you more for the telephoto you'll use more. Remember manual focus is a lot less of a problem with UWA lenses, so you can use that to save money too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Used rokinon/samyang 7.5mm fisheye is cheap, high quality, and lots of fun. If you don't get on with it, cost of trying is lower than any native rectilinear uwa. I prefer mine to the p7-14, personally, there's something about fisheyes that i just really like.

13. RyanM

RyanM Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2017
    Minor quibble: the SLR Magic 8mm f/4 is a native rectilinear UWA, and is usually available for $180-200 lately (new), similar to or slightly less than a new Rokinon fisheye. From what I've read the corners aren't stunning (but as I understand it, the corners won't be stunning after defishing the rokinon either), but it's an inexpensive option in rectilinear UWA.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Both are expensive compared to the unbranded 8mm f/3.8 fisheyes available on e-bay (or Olympus's 9mm body cap lens) both of which are good fun, and have showcase threads here. IIRC my 8mm was ~£50 new. :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Regular

I have the 300 f/4, and I really like the lens. I also have the 40-150 f/2.8. I couldn't shoot a decent landscape if my life depended on it, so an UWA is out of my wheelhouse. I shoot mostly birds and bugs. If I had to get rid of either the 40-150 or the 300, I'd let the 40-150 go. I love that lens for bugs, especially with extension tubes, but the 300 f/4 is the lens I plan trips around. Not to be hypocritical; I did plan trips to the butterfly house for the 40-150, but full-day trips are planned for the 300mm. I'd go with the 300mm and the mc-14. I was getting frustrated; and I still do, but the 300 has been an inspiring force. Don't get me wrong; I love my 40-150 a lot and wouldn't get rid of it. But if you like taking pictures of birds, the 300mm is nice to have. I hate to dis the 40-150 because I use that as my "stroll around the garden" lens looking for bugs, and I wouldn't use the 300mm for that. I am not happy with the distance from the target required for the 300mm, and I don't like its performance with extension tubes. Anyway - I'm no expert, and that's just my opinion. I hope it helps, and good luck with your decision! - Jonny.

• Like Like x 1
  16. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I like and frequently use the 9-18 (travel companion to the 75-300II) and I use my PL100-400 for lots of things other the BIF's and find it an amazing "all rounder". I also really like the 7.5mm to get my creative juices flowing. Buying new Astro stuff so my camera GAS has been put on hold:) 

• Like Like x 1
  17. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I am going to follow along with @SVQuant@SVQuant recommendation of a 50-200 w/ EC-14 and the Olympus 9-18. You have the EM1 so the 50-200 will work perfectly on your camera and there are several really good deals in the buy/sell section. It will almost give you the reach of your 100-300 and provide a significant increase in IQ. I have never used the 9-18 but it is a cheap way to see if you like the ultra-wide lens. If you like ultra wide shooting you could sell it and pick up something better if you feel the need and probably not lose any money. Same goes for the 50-200, could sell it later and not lose any money (the price on them has been pretty stable the last few years) if you decide to upgrade to the 300/4. Or keep it for those times you need a zoom and shorter focal lengths. I don't use mine much since getting the 150/2 and 300/4, but there are times I need a zoom (sports or events) and I am glad I kept it.

I think you could find the 50-200 w/ MMF-3 and EC-14 as well as the 9-18 for under $700 if you watch and wait for the best deal. You could even throw in the EC-20 down the line to get you 400mm (which I found to work surprisingly well).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.