1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Leica bug possibly biting.....

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lattiboy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Hi all,

I've got a pretty extensive glass collection (I'm always buying and selling to see what I like), but I've never owned a "big boy lens". A Leica, a proper Zeiss, or a dedicated RF Konica or Minolta lens. I've had the C/Y Zeiss 50mm and a 45/2 Contax G (which was AMAZING, but just terrible to focus with an adapter).

One lens I have right now that (I think) is as good as anything I could reasonably afford (below $700) is the Pen 38mm f/1.8. I can get a really good deal on a Summaron 35mm 2.8.

Do you think I'd notice a real difference in sharpness or tone with such a lens at f/2.8?

Help me, I'm dying here!

PS I can also pick up a Minolta Rokkor-M 40/2 for a good price. Same questions....

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I have two of the Summaron's. They're good lenses and have that old Leica look, but both have some haze on internal elements. One is still quite usable but suffers from a loss of contrast. I've had them since the 80's and haven't gotten around to trying to clean them yet. You can examine for haze by shining a small flashlight (or torch if you're British) through the lens.

Haze is common on these as is a soft coating which often shows signs wear. And cleaning marks on the somewhat soft front element.

The Rokkor is an excellent lens that at a similar price would, in my opinion, be a better buy.

Fred

3. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks Fred,

This particular 35mm was professionally cleaned about a year ago, so it's in pretty fine shape.

I made the mistake of just reading this:

http://www.hiendlife.com/pic/tupian/summaron35/summaron 35mm.pdf

Which made me all the more lustful!

4. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    If you own a Leica camera to use the Summaron and/or Rokkor on, go for it. Otherwise: it is a lot of money to use on a u43 camera. With the 2x crop factor, you get the center performance from any lens made for 35mm full-frame. Over the center of the image, most lenses are quite sharp. More expensive lenses- edge-to-edge sharpness is improved.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's not just about being sharp. I have a Summicron 50/2 and an Olympus 50/1.8. They're both nice sharp lenses. The Summicron is better wide open. The thing is the images they make look very different. I really like the Summicron and prefer using it over the Olympus.

I've had the Summicron and some other Leitz screw mount lenses since the 80"s. Today I would buy a new Olympus 45/1.8 rather than a used Summicron 50. Both for the auto functions (stopping down is a pain sometimes) and because I like the look of the 45's images. But I'm not letting the Summicron go.

Fred

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I should expand over "just sharpness"- better correction edge-to-edge for the more expensive lens. The center performance of most lenses tends to be quite good.

I use the 40/2 Summicron on the EP2 a fair bit, but it spends more time on the Leica CL. The Summicron 50/2 is on the M3 currently.

I'll have to do a comparison between the Argus Cintar 50/3.5 on the EP2 and the post-war Leica Elmar on the EP2.

The Cintar proved to be quite good on the EP2.

[​IMG]

Wide-Open on the M9, edge-to-edge would improve by stopping down.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.