1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Leica bug possibly biting.....

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lattiboy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Hi all,

I've got a pretty extensive glass collection (I'm always buying and selling to see what I like), but I've never owned a "big boy lens". A Leica, a proper Zeiss, or a dedicated RF Konica or Minolta lens. I've had the C/Y Zeiss 50mm and a 45/2 Contax G (which was AMAZING, but just terrible to focus with an adapter).

One lens I have right now that (I think) is as good as anything I could reasonably afford (below $700) is the Pen 38mm f/1.8. I can get a really good deal on a Summaron 35mm 2.8.

Do you think I'd notice a real difference in sharpness or tone with such a lens at f/2.8?

Help me, I'm dying here!

PS I can also pick up a Minolta Rokkor-M 40/2 for a good price. Same questions....

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I have two of the Summaron's. They're good lenses and have that old Leica look, but both have some haze on internal elements. One is still quite usable but suffers from a loss of contrast. I've had them since the 80's and haven't gotten around to trying to clean them yet. You can examine for haze by shining a small flashlight (or torch if you're British) through the lens.

Haze is common on these as is a soft coating which often shows signs wear. And cleaning marks on the somewhat soft front element.

The Rokkor is an excellent lens that at a similar price would, in my opinion, be a better buy.

Fred

3. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks Fred,

This particular 35mm was professionally cleaned about a year ago, so it's in pretty fine shape.

I made the mistake of just reading this:

http://www.hiendlife.com/pic/tupian/summaron35/summaron 35mm.pdf

Which made me all the more lustful!

4. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    If you own a Leica camera to use the Summaron and/or Rokkor on, go for it. Otherwise: it is a lot of money to use on a u43 camera. With the 2x crop factor, you get the center performance from any lens made for 35mm full-frame. Over the center of the image, most lenses are quite sharp. More expensive lenses- edge-to-edge sharpness is improved.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's not just about being sharp. I have a Summicron 50/2 and an Olympus 50/1.8. They're both nice sharp lenses. The Summicron is better wide open. The thing is the images they make look very different. I really like the Summicron and prefer using it over the Olympus.

I've had the Summicron and some other Leitz screw mount lenses since the 80"s. Today I would buy a new Olympus 45/1.8 rather than a used Summicron 50. Both for the auto functions (stopping down is a pain sometimes) and because I like the look of the 45's images. But I'm not letting the Summicron go.

Fred

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    I should expand over "just sharpness"- better correction edge-to-edge for the more expensive lens. The center performance of most lenses tends to be quite good.

I use the 40/2 Summicron on the EP2 a fair bit, but it spends more time on the Leica CL. The Summicron 50/2 is on the M3 currently.

I'll have to do a comparison between the Argus Cintar 50/3.5 on the EP2 and the post-war Leica Elmar on the EP2.

The Cintar proved to be quite good on the EP2.

[​IMG]

Wide-Open on the M9, edge-to-edge would improve by stopping down.

[​IMG]