The legacy glass thing...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Pelao, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I've been enjoying my GF1 since purchasing it in December. At first it was a complementary camera for my 5D, but now I enjoy it in it's own right. I find that it is simply fun to use, and urges me to experiment and stretch.

Anyway, I very much enjoyed reading the many posts about older lenses being used on M4/3 cameras. I was, and am, intrigued. I picked up a sort of excitement and pleasure in many of the posts on this forum, and in some blogs. Many of the photographs are inspiring.

I decided to take the plunge, and grabbed a Canon 50mm 1.4 from eBay. Work and an illness in the family have kept me from any real shooting, but I am really surprised at the waves of pleasure that came with this lens.

It feels great. Solid. Engineered. It wants to make photographs. Put it on the camera and it feels even better.

Rediscovering manual focusing means rediscovering the advantages of a different pace, more thoughtful composition and more studied methodology. It's a real challenge to get this right. It's a skill built on practice built on desire. It's addictive. It's a case of some being good and more being great. I also appreciate the depth of thought that has gone into the manual focus on the GF1.

It all feels a lot more like photography, and a little less like an interaction with a digital tool. A bit like some of the recent word processors allow you to remove all the crap from your screen and just see the blank page to fill with your story: it's not the same as a hand-written page, but it feels better than a screen crammed with distractions. More crafted. My GF1 had already started me on this road (especially with the 20 mm), but the older glass made it into a journey.

So then I grabbed a Konica Hexanon 40mm.

The bottom line is that I wanted to thank those of you who have taken the time to post their experiences, thoughts and instructions on legacy glass. I appreciate it. On the other hand, a new world has opened and there is even more to explore in the same available time. So curse you too...

Now I just can't wait for an opportunity to get out and play. Enough of these cat and household object shots.

• Like Like x 2
  2. classicus

classicus Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    france
    Manual focus + aperture conciousness

I totally agreed, since I have tried legacy lenses on my GH1, see my signature, I hardly use the 14-140mm standard lens for anything else than movie!
    I use occasionnally the wide zoom 7-14mm, for shots which would not be possible otherwise.
    and I take a lot the :43: summilux D 25mm and very often in manual aperture mode but its bulk and weight are often annoying...

I use more and more my legacy lenses, when I want discretion, the Russian Jupiter are fabulous, you need to avoid full open or fully closed...but the jupiter 8 is so sharp... Jupiter 11 is great also (I have not tried yet my Leica Hektor).
    When I want super images (sharpness, bokeh...) back to Zeiss, or my other Leica R...

Manual lenses are great not only for their better control on the focusing, but also give (in Aperture mode) a better control on depth of field, of course it is possible with modern lenses, but the feel is "more phographic" to me...

3. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Classicus may i suggest you a fantastic lense from KMZ ? The Helios 44 can be found for peanuts and is truly spectacular for portrait (spinning) bokeh.

4. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    The best camera is the camera you have with you and (like to) USE!!!
    - Nice story, I feel same about LX3, but need something more next to it
    - And sometimes the LX3 is simply too deep down in my wife's bag...

5. shinobi

shinobi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2010
    My wife has the LX3, and I had the GF1. The GF1 controls are very similar to the LX3. One thing that LX3 has that GF1 does not have is constant OIS :). It's a wonderful little camera.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ASA 32

ASA 32 Mu-43 Regular

I couldn't agree more with what you, Pelao, posted.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ahhhhh, The Jupiter 8. My all time favorite lens for over 40 years.
    Ray has a thread going about a modification to make it focus closer. That lens is great and so are the Konica AR's.
    The 40 being very, very good.

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Re the Konica 40: it's actually your 'fault' that I now have one...

It's a great lens.

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Guilty as charged....
    pssst, you didn't forget about the 57 1.4 did ya?

10. crcal

crcal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2010
    Honolulu, HI
    I completely agree with these thoughts, 5DII and GF1 owner here. :smile:

I'm itching to pick up a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 as well.

11. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a Canon FD f/1.4 50mm -- I'm just waiting for the converter. :cool: