1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Last Camera You'll Ever Own

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  2. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I really thought my OM1 would last for ever (or at least a long, long time) when I bought it in 1979. Well, I did get 23 years of use out of it ... replaced by a Canon S50 in 2002, which lasted 10 years.

Don't suppose I'll still be using my EPL2 in 23 years or even 10. Possibly not even next year!

3. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Still got my OM1n and OM3 - 30+ years so if my OMD lasts half as long I'm sorted :):)

4. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

Interesting article. I generally like what he writes.
    I was sure that the Nikon D600 would be my last camera, after having been a DX shooter for a decade and slowly collecting FX lenses. But as I was in the shop and actually put it in my bag with my FX lens kit, a flash, and a couple batteries, at that moment it all seemed somehow primitive to choose something so big...
    EM5, though, has all the makings of a last camera...

5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    AH, I still break out the Pentax KX 35mm camera. It had a good run.

For better and for worse going to digital turned camera bodies into electronic gadgets, with the lifecycle of electronic gadgets.

Although the E-M5 is pretty much all I wanted in a digital camera body, so I'm in it for the long haul with the E-M5- it's not like it will stop taking photos when a better body comes out, well until mine dies. All I wanted was usable 3200 iso, and I got it! ...although 1/8000 and iso 100 is highly tempting, but not enough for me to plunk down for a new body.

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If the basics continue to significantly evolve ... AF, useable high ISO, sensor size/lens mount, lenses ... I will hopefully continue to evolve with significant changes as well.

Gary

7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Im planning on keeping the OM-D until the shutter goes out, its close to 30,000 already though :blush:

8. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    It is amazing to me how long we used to keep cameras and how quickly we swap them out now.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yep. Your basic mechanical camera couldn't improve much of what it did. No AF to make faster and the sensor technology came new from Kodak every 36 shots. Unless you wanted higher Tv or a better (?) meter, there wasn't much to improve.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Film was our sensor....

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Also less to break, and what can break was still replacable / repairable by someone handy enough, even when they didn't have original manufacturer parts available. Sort of like how old mopeds and cars are still popular in the developing world, as basic technology is much easier for an ordinary person to repair. Soldering is easier to do when circuits are constructed point-to-point rather than on a PCB, for instance. Now everything is just way to small and fiddly for that.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Well...the Nikon F-series iteration was ~8 or more years...the tech pace has accelerated a great deal, in part due to moving into a totally different technology area. It would be interesting to compare the iteration cycle on FILM (i.e., sensors :D) and see how that cycled? :)

13. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Just one example:

Kodakchrome started out at 25 ASA and went through 64, 100 and finally 200 ASA.

However did we manage handheld shots at only 25 ASA :rolleyes:

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Now we have IBIS and ISO 1600. It is funny, isn't it?:biggrin:

15. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Yes, it would. My Canon T70 from 1984 is still kicking. Most of the digital cameras I have bought are either long gone or long sold.

:)

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    But that evolution took 50 years. The first generation of Kodachrome was with us for 26 years, starting in 1935 through 1961. The next generation was around for another 13 years before Kodachrome 25 and 64 were introduced in 1974, and then Kodachrome 200 in 1986. I don't believe that there actually ever was a Kodachrome 100 speed film.

17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    And we have lots of folks carrying on because their camera has too much noise at ISO 6400.

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    We took pictures only in bright sunlight. Or used flash. (Remember flashBULBS?)

I still have my dad's Ziess Ikon Contaflex, which he purchased in the mid-1950s. 50mm f2.8 lens, and a PC socket (no hotshoe) flash gun that used bulbs. Selenium cell meter (no batteries), leaf shutter (flash sync to 1/500th second even with the electronic flash he bought much later).

The shutter and diaphragm would need cleaning and lubrication if I really wanted to use it again, but other than that it would work as well today as when new. OTOH, I really like matrix metering, AF, and all the other amenities we take for granted today.

As far as "last camera," I just bought a GH3, and might consider a GX7 as a compact alternative if the IQ matches the GH3, and the price comes down a bit in the next year. I won't say they're the "last" cameras I'll ever buy, but barring a dramatic change in technology I expect them to last me a long, long time.

19. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    The OMD was the camera I have always wanted. That being said I'm waiting to see what the next model brings. ISO 100 and 1/8000 plus a focus point that stays small all the time, focus peaking (for when I get into macro) and a better grip so I don't HAVE to purchase the extra grip and this might allow a bigger battery so that it lasts longer.

Think that would about do it for me.

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The original Kodachrome was ASA 10 (daylight), or 16 (Tungsten)!! ASA 12 and 25 came later. There was never a 100, but there was an ASA 40 version sold primarily as movie film.