1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The Large Sensor Look from Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I have had a little fun the last two days as I was trying out this technique for an article on my blog (full description and discussion here:Large Sensor Look from a Small Sensor Camera @ Admiring Light)

Basically, use longer fast lens, stand closer, and take a bunch of images to stitch together for a final image that gives you significantly shallower depth of field than can be easily achieved on a smaller sensor camera. These were all with my GX1 and Oly 45mm f/1.8:

Equivalent to 28mm f/1.2 on full frame:
    texaco_sdof.

Equivalent to 40mm f/1.6 on full frame:
    fountain_sdof.

Equivalent to 35mm f/1.4 on full frame:
    large_m43.

And equivalent to 27mm f/1.1 on full frame!:
    lost_ball.

• Like Like x 33
  2. Landy

Landy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

I just bought a GX1 and I already have the Oly. Can't wait to start shooting with it!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very nice, Jordan!

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm Tired

My brain is not working very well. I don't understand the concept. :blush:

5. Interesting. Effort + time = reward. Would need to purchase a fast longer lens (the 45mm is on the want list) and a merge software for the iMac.

Is there some point in the process of stitching 15-20 images you know the final images is going to be a dud? To spend the time waiting for the software to process the images and find out I messed up would be a bit frustrating. Rather abort as soon as I realized I failed in the image creating attempt.

6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well done Jordan .Impressive indeed

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the Brenizer method I believe it's called. Nicely done!

• Like Like x 4
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Brilliant Jordan.

A couple of questions:

Do you find the 45/1.8 kind of the best lens for this? (being the longest and fastest of the m43 lenses currently)

And when taking multiple shots, do you have to move the camera in the vertical plane, so as to keep the image distortion out of the equation. That is, I'm assuming you can't just pivot the camera for each shot, but you have to keep the sensor plan flat to the image plane that you are shooting for? (hope I'm describing this correctly).

9. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Really needs the same shots done with the camera/lens you're trying to be equal to for most people to see what you've accomplished.

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Thats the one:2thumbs:

11. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Ugh ... please don't call it that. It's just a stitched photo. The technique was around long before he used it.

In any case, the OP's photos came out very well. I'm tempted to get a multi-row pano head to do this myself.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree. I prefer to call it the "Steele Technique", because I like how Jordan Steele does it better. That Brenizer guy didn't know how to do it right if you ask me. ;)

13. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Hehe...I'll let you know when I find that 27mm f/1.1. :) Maybe in the future I'll shoot some with my 50/1.4 on full frame and do a stitch with m4/3 to show the similarities. :)

Thanks everyone!

14. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    No, because you don't really see the image before it's stitched. With Microsoft ICE, it previews the stitched image in about 15 seconds with a fast computer, so it doesn't take too long.

I generally use Photomerge in Photoshop for my stitching, and for regular panoramas, it does a fantastic job. It struggles with these, though, especially with the shots that are almost entirely bokeh, and occasionally leaves out shots. I'll use Photomerge for most of my Panos, but Microsoft ICE seemed more consistent for these types of shots.

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Very nice, indeed!

16. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, you HAVE to pivot. If you shift in the plane, you will change the perspective of each shot....the camera has to be in the same position for each shot or you won't be able to stitch them.

17. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Hugin works well for stitching, and I believe the generic term for this method is called the bokeh panorama

18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool, thanks for sharing. I'd like to try it some time...I wonder if it would work just as well with a legacy 50mm. Might be even more convenient as you don't have to set the focus for every shot..just once and then shoot.

19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Ohlaleicalike!

- Eliot

20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nicely done Jordan.

Gary