1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

the kit (12-50) getting put to the test

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gardengirl13, Feb 14, 2013.

1. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    OK I really seem to push this lens. With my other post with the star trails, while that's not really pushing it, it does show that it can be a cracker of a lens!

My husband's band had their first gig last Saturday and I really got to push it and the camera. It was very dark and the shooting was at ISO6400, and I was still getting speeds of only 1/10-1/30 or so. The IS worked very well, as static parts were fairly sharp, for the ISO, but the moving parts really blurred. But it was also slightly good blur as the motion really added to the mood.

I hate to do this, but i'm going to link to the photos instead of posting them here. Partly because there are 51 of them! There are also links to video from youtube as well so you can see how well it shoots at high ISO handheld.

Kristin Troost Hall Photography: Psychic Revolution's First Gig!!

2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    It's one thing to read endless verbiage on the internet about the benefits of such and such gear and the weaknesses of kit lenses. It's another thing to take your gear out and see for yourself, which is the sensible thing to do. Looks like that's what you did, so good on ya.

I think what this test mainly shows, though, is the OMD's high ISO noise performance and IBIS effectiveness. And it looks pretty good on my iPhone screen. :)

3. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    yeah! I routinely shoot between ISO800-3200 but never really pushed the 6400 much aside from a shot here and there. But to shoot it the whole night was worrisome going in, but once I saw how well it was doing I stopped worrying and just kept shooting! I assume I could blow these up to 8x10 or more easily. The B&W that look rougher could go bigger.

I've blown up some not so great metered stuff from this camera to 24x36 and they look awesome! I love this camera! and yes the IBIS helps! As you can see the movement is there but the rest of everything is sharper then I thought I could get. Keep in mind I have health issues that really make me wobbly. After shooting the first song my hands were shaking VERY noticeably and the IS worked well!