The Joy of having No Viewfinder!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by fransglans, Mar 8, 2013.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Hi!
    Just wanted to share my two cents of the viewfinder issue.
    As some people know by now, I have a pen ep3 and I have been thinking of getting a viewfinder to it for a year or so.. BUT... I always end up thinking WHY? Just becouse a REAL photographer should have one? does it look more serious? Does my framing turn into magic? the list goes on....

but for me, NO. its a big no. I have pointed out the reasons for me to not having one:

1. When I take a portrait I always use the face recognition, I simply halfpress AND AFTER DOING THAT I lift my eyes OVER the camera and just wait for the right moment to push the button. This works terrific! And this technique gives me room to interfere with the person better.

2. When I had my canons and pushed the camera to eyelevel, everyone around know that a picture are going to be taken. With my E-p3, I´m more lika a ninja, hidden with this sweet point and shoot thing in my hand.

3. when I use the "nr1" technique I get more photos where my subject are looking into MY eyes and not the cameras, like this pic of my son:

just my 2 cents. And sorry for my english (as usual: )

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Interesting idea! I wonder if this might work for my cat photos.... And please stop apologizing for your English. I was an English major in college and see nothing wrong with your English. :biggrin:

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    If you need less attention on the camera, like for the great picture of your son above (nice one!), then yes, the screen could be a better choice than the VF.

But in other cases, I find I really like the VF when I'm taking my time with photography and not interacting with people around me. It helps me to shut out the world and think about what I'm framing.

I'm not saying that it can't be done via the screen, but it's a definite preference and for me it increases my enjoyment of and focus (not the lens kind) on what I'm doing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Agreed! I live the extra awareness of your surroundings you have shooting with a screen!

5. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Right tools for the job — when you NEED to interact with your subject, then absolutely anything that makes it easier to do it a good thing — so no VF for doing portraits after you've set up makes perfect "working" sense.

6. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    The EVF is indispensable for shooting in sunny conditions. It's impossible to use the rear screen when all you can see is reflection. The other + is anytime you are following a moving subject, it's easier to do by sighting at eyelevel than holding a camera at arms length and swinging your arms and body.

It boils down to what you want to shoot, and the conditions you are under.

• Like Like x 3
  7. There certainly are some very real advantages that have been realised by removing the need to press a camera to your face every time you release the shutter. Each method has its place, but I would normally choose not to utilise an eye-level viewfinder.

8. lorenzo1910

lorenzo1910 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 10, 2013
    Massa Carrara,Tuscany
    Lorenzo
    Mind you,I sold my first mirrorless camera (NEX5) because I was missing the viewfinder...
    Many thanks for "point 1" suggestion...usually I forget about the "gadgets" but the face recognition could be very helpful.

9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I definitely understand what you're saying, but somehow shooting through the EVF makes the image seem more "real" to me and I'm more aware of compositional issues than when I shoot from the back screen. But I agree there are times when having the camera away from your face is very helpful.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I also find that using a VF (electronic or not) guarantees that you almost always get exactly one viewpoint -- eye level. Relatively few photographers really explore perspectives other than that and it's a shame.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I agree. I enjoy using my GX1 EVF free. Using the rear LCD, I find greater flexibility in positioning the camera for different perspectives. It is also a way to shoot without drawing attention to yourself.

I would say that it does become more difficult sometimes in bright light. I compensate for that by using the grid lines and electronic horizon on the GX1.

I still like using an optical VF on my DSLR, but I don't feel any pressing need to add an electronic finder when using micro four thirds.

12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I use an eye-level viewfinder 95% of the time because that's how I prefer to shoot, not because I care a rat's proverbial butt how it makes me look, nor about how a "real" photographer should be doing things. A camera without an eyelevel finder, or an option to add one, is a simple no-go for me, the reason I got the Fuji X10 instead of a Sony RX100 for a point and shoot. Except for maybe an occasional indoor snapshot around the house, or sometimes macro, I just don't like composing on an LCD, though I'll sometimes use the tilting screen on the E-M5 to take a shot on the sly, something I do but seldom.

I don't assume my way of shooting should be universal. I shoot how it pleases me to shoot and in a manner that works for me. Everyone should.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    There is another problem working that way though, you are interacting above the camera, hence the subject is looking at your eyes, and you then lose eye contact in the image. Your example image shows what I mean, there is nothing in the eyes, they are looking out of the photo and I feel it lessens the impact.

14. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    But even at 61, I have no problem crouching, kneeling, or lying on my belly, if that's where I need to be to get the shot.

One should use the viewing technology of one's choice, and a tilt screen can sometimes keep one from having to lie down in a puddle -- or at all -- but since everything I see is seen from wherever my eyes are, an eye-level finder makes perfect sense to me about 95% of the time.

The best viewfinder is the one that works for you and gets you the shots you want to take. Personally, I don't like composing on the screen (at least outside) if I can possibly scrunch myself into a position to avoid it. As I get creakier with age, that could well change.

Time to get back to the gym!:biggrin:

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    its an interesting area... I grew up with film slrs... then digital slrs and got used to the what you see is what you get framing inherent in a slr... then i shot for a year or so with an e-p1 and found the live view and the' not even looking through the camera' paradigm interesting

recently I have been lucky enough to shoot with a Leica rangefinder, where you can see 'outside' the frame and have instantaneous shutter response.

this was shot with the leica... I knew roughly what was going to happen... but I am not sure I would have got this shot with live view or a eve

8522062604_3dba5c8f92_b.
    L1001133 by kevinparis, on Flickr

its horses for courses I suppose

K

• Like Like x 1
  16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I don't understand the issue. If you have an EVF, your LCD doesn't stop working. An EVF is just another tool, as is the LCD. Most of us use one tool more than another as a matter of preference, but in some special cases only one will do the job.

17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I don't understand the issue either. I've owned the E-PL3 and know the cons with not having a viewfinder (difficult in bright sunlight, easier to accidentally tilt horizons, hard to gauge eye level which is important in child photography). Yes, the little camera also has its upsides with being able to more easily shoot from the hip ninja-style. But it's better to have something that you sometimes use than to not have it when you need it the most.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Eye wonder :wink: if shooters that wear bi-focals strongly feel one way or the other (viewfinder/no viewfinder)....:confused:

19. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've worn progressive lens glasses for a number of years -- not bifocals, with a line, but lenses with different areas for different view distances.

And, as I mentioned earlier, a camera without an eye-level finder (or an option to attach one) is a non-starter for me. My glasses give me more trouble tilting my head back to look up at a top grocery store shelf, when I might have to reach up and pull them down to the "distance" part at the top, than they've ever given me using a viewfinder.

But I'll bet there are people you wear the same kind of glasses who hate using a viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm a glasses wearer & I definitely prefer a viewfinder....

Hmmm......

• Like Like x 2