The Jonas Brothers

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brewster, Sep 28, 2011.

1. <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_l_snell/6190534981/" title="EPL14750 by brucelsnell, on Flickr">"500" height="333" alt="EPL14750"></a>

OK, OK... After my last post about my love of black and white documentary photography I'm now posting a color sunset shot. I know it's cliche and doesn't really "say" anything, but there's just something about the colors that draw me in.

It all started yesterday when I began to feel a bit restless. I hadn't shot anything for my own satisfaction in a long time. The last few months have been mostly shooting a couple of high school seniors, a family birthday and some generic church stuff. All good, but nothing new that grabbed me by the creative throat and cranked up the heartbeat. So, after dinner last night I decided to make a short drive to a lake about 6 or 7 miles away. I was thinking sunset photos. Don't tell my photographer friends. Sunsets are generally considered kinda cheesy to pro photogs... sunset photos are sort of the Jonas Brothers of art photography. Pretty, but no substance. Anyway, I chose the lake because the reflection of the colorful sky would eliminate the dark foreground present in most sunset shots. The sky was clear and I hoped something would happen to provide a little interest in the sky. At the last few minutes some clouds slid in from the north and the sun lit them from below the horizon. The rest was easy, I just shot away changing my position for different compositions.

I know it's not art. I know it's not a story of human struggle. But sometimes you just have to take a break from the meaningful and just listen to some Jonas Brothers.