The itch: trying different cameras (from a G85)

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
G9 is in hand. How long does it take to charge a G9 battery? It's been 10 minutes, and it's still going! Ugh. the waiting.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Trying not to. I really don't enjoy their body design, controls feel and colors out of camera. But their lens options and size are pretty solid, especially in the more "normal" range (like 24-85). They get weak (or big and expensive) in telephoto and it's hard to find a "budget" UWA zoom, IIRC. But the options in the middle are many, good, and compact, and some affordable.
But Samyang makes some nice lenses for them! They have a nice 18mm aspherical.

I saw a video last night that reviewed the A7 Mk III at 3 years old, It noted that Sony changed their colors just before releasing the A7 Mk III, and again as a firmware update. The reviewer noted that this is one of their weak spots but it is way over emphasized to call it a deal breaker. Colors are not so far off as to not be able to correct in post with a preset. Personally, I think making firmware updates shows Sony is aware of the discontent and is doing something about it. If it's that common of a gripe they don't really have much choice.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
But Samyang makes some nice lenses for them! They have a nice 18mm aspherical.

I saw a video last night that reviewed the A7 Mk III at 3 years old, It noted that Sony changed their colors just before releasing the A7 Mk III, and again as a firmware update. The reviewer noted that this is one of their weak spots but it is way over emphasized to call it a deal breaker. Colors are not so far off as to not be able to correct in post with a preset. Personally, I think making firmware updates shows Sony is aware of the discontent and is doing something about it. If it's that common of a gripe they don't really have much choice.
I would have considered the a7c, but it's not sized to be a primary body, which makes the $2K too steep for me. The a7iii is a maybe, but for $800 less, give or take, and no lens trading, I'm going to try the G9. Moving to an a7iii gets me somewhat better IQ and somewhat better AF, but triggers changing lenses and systems. Not convinced (yet) it's worth it for me (of course YMMV).

Last edited:

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I would have considered the a7c, but it's not sized to be a primary body, which makes the $2K too steep for me. The a7iii is a maybe, but for $800 less, give or take, and no lens trading, I going to try the G9. Moving to an a7iii gets me somewhat better IQ and somewhat better AF, but triggers changing lenses and systems. Not convinced (yet) it's worth it for me (of course YMMV).
To be perfectly honest I think the G9 is exactly right. The ONLY reason I'm looking at the Sony is the fast action focus performance.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Found out why the battery is taking so long. Something wrong with the external charger or cable they sent. Doing nothing. Charging the batt in-cam is working. Got this used at B&H. So that's the downside. Upside is shutter count is only 475 (and battery charge cycles is 98)! I'm guessing it was a display model (which is a very different life at B&H than it is at BestBuy, lol). If it's the micro-usb cable to the charger, I have plenty of those. If it's the external charger itself, I'll have to let B&H know.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Found out why the battery is taking so long. Something wrong with the external charger or cable they sent. Doing nothing. Charging the batt in-cam is working. Got this used at B&H. So that's the downside. Upside is shutter count is only 475 (and battery charge cycles is 98)! I'm guessing it was a display model (which is a very different life at B&H than it is at BestBuy, lol). If it's the micro-usb cable to the charger, I have plenty of those. If it's the external charger itself, I'll have to let B&H know.
They'll make good on it.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Testing the G9 tracking over here, with a quick note on how it compares to the Z5 so far. I am not AF tracking expert, so it could all be user error. I will say this. The G9 was way more intuitive to figure out than the Z5. More to come perhaps.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
The itch is compete. The G9 is the hands-down winner. It fits like a glove, uses all my lenses, and is a far faster camera to operate than the last contender - the Z5. I am SURE that with the right lenses, the Z5 could be a stronger contender, but I was interested in the 24-200 because it would need to replace my 12-60 (and then some), but the PL12-60 is an outstanding performer for AF. The 24-200 it seems has just one linear motor (I guess?? from what I've read) and the AF is a laggard. It's slower than my $99 P45-150. The Z5 goes back, the G9 is here to stay. I'll keep the G85 for the moment as the "small body" but might consider trading that for a GX at some point.

Side note -- on camera size I compared the G9 to older DSLRs. Though a "big" body, it's a bit bigger than a digital rebel, and smaller than a Canon 5D/6D, which I was very comfortable handling. I used to carry around an XSi all over the place, so this is sort of like that.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
If you have decided to keep it, just pick up a dual battery charger kit and just skip past the in-box charger. You might also just blow air duster in the microUSB port--sometimes one little bit of dust makes the whole thing not work.
The itch is compete. The G9 is the hands-down winner. It fits like a glove, uses all my lenses, and is a far faster camera to operate than the last contender - the Z5. I am SURE that with the right lenses, the Z5 could be a stronger contender, but I was interested in the 24-200 because it would need to replace my 12-60 (and then some), but the PL12-60 is an outstanding performer for AF. The 24-200 it seems has just one linear motor (I guess?? from what I've read) and the AF is a laggard. It's slower than my $99 P45-150. The Z5 goes back, the G9 is here to stay. I'll keep the G85 for the moment as the "small body" but might consider trading that for a GX at some point.

Side note -- on camera size I compared the G9 to older DSLRs. Though a "big" body, it's a bit bigger than a digital rebel, and smaller than a Canon 5D/6D, which I was very comfortable handling. I used to carry around an XSi all over the place, so this is sort of like that.
Yeah, I've seen folks talk about the G9's size as a bad thing, especially comparing it to something like the A7C. I feel they miss the entire point of the G9--it's not trying to be small, it's trying to be a good fit, with all the buttons and dials right where you want them. I really commend the folks that laid out the G9, it's really well thought out. Maybe it could be a bit lighter and maybe a bit smaller, but it's pretty darn comfortable as it is, and it feels very rugged, too.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
The G9 is bigger than a Nikon DX camera like the D5300, yet the latter is a better fit. I do like the G9, just wish it was smaller.

OTOH, the GM5 and GX85 should have bigger hand grips...

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am waiting for something that I could replace my Gx85 with, so far it's 4K is so good I've not found any thing in the hybrid world that would make me change. Do I like the G9, well I have two.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom