The iPad

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
robert i stand corrected on those points , read several places that it would only run one app at a time

Hi Cosinaphile,

The idea of the iPad (and iPhone for that matter) not being a multitask device is completely wrong. I blame those geeky sources. The iPad/iPhone are multitasking constantly. Checking your email while you check your pictures while you are listening to your music; that IS multitasking. There is a misconception about multitasking and having several "windows" open. The iPad user interface doesn't work that way. It is true that third-party processes stop when you switch applications, but you can be in those apps while the iPad/iPhone continues fetching your email, playing music and getting push notifications from those "suspended" apps. In any case, the new version of the operating system (4.0, coming later this year) will allow third party apps to keep working even if you focus on a different process.

Good thing for the free market and hardware and vendor options! Your non-sense-iPad makes total sense in my workflow. (I am the one who wouldn't touch a netbook with a stick!). I can't wait to travel taking my E-PL1 and only the iPad (instead of a laptop). I will download the pictures to it, then when I get back I will transfer them to my Aperture library. The screen of the iPad is just magnificent. I am really enjoying re-discovering my pictures through the iPad.

I think the point is not about the list of features of any given device; it is about what features make sense in your lifestyle and/or workflow. For me, the hardware and responsiveness of the iPad are those killer features.

Gus

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I can't wait to travel taking only my E-PL1 and only the iPad (instead of a laptop). I will download the pictures to it, then when I get back I will transfer them to my Aperture library. The screen of the iPad is just magnificent. I am really enjoying re-discovering my pictures through the iPad.
Will you be able to upload RAW files and transfer them with all of their raw-ness intact to Aperture? I assume you can sort through and do first level editing (like trashing the obvious junk shots) on the ipad. What about geo-coding - the ipad has a gps right? So I wonder if it would be possible to add geo information to the uploaded shots each evening when the locations are fresh in your mind? That would be pretty useful.

-Ray

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
Will you be able to upload RAW files and transfer them with all of their raw-ness intact to Aperture? I assume you can sort through and do first level editing (like trashing the obvious junk shots) on the ipad. What about geo-coding - the ipad has a gps right? So I wonder if it would be possible to add geo information to the uploaded shots each evening when the locations are fresh in your mind? That would be pretty useful.

-Ray

Hi Ray,
Yes, all the "raw-ness" stays intact when you transfer back to Aperture (I shot with Raw just to check this). I don't think you can add geo-coding, or at least, I didn't find a way to do it. I agree with you that would be useful. I am sure "there is an app for that" or it will exists very soon.

BTW, the original "photo" app from Apple is very basic. I downloaded "Photogene" which adds a nice set of options for editing the pictures I download.

Gus

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Did you import RAW files directly from the E-PL1? I ask because Aperture3 doesn't support those yet - I have to run a script that converts the identifier information in each file from E-PL1 to get Aperture to read them. So if Apple doesn't support raw from this camera yet, will the ipad? And assuming it does, will Aperture read them off of the ipad without first converting them? If it can do all that, it sounds highly useful. If it can't, it will be highly useful once Apple gets its act together vis a vis the E-PL1. In any case, great potential.

-Ray

Robert Spoecker

Mu-43 Regular
I am following this thread with much interest.

Next Friday I expect both the Apple case and the connectivity kit (Two plugs).

It will be good to form my own ideas what I can do with the plugs, but so far it seems very encouraging.

I also follow whats going on the TOP (The Online Photographer) site and someone posted an address where to find the included picture. I just assumed the iPad must have had its innards shoved into the case with the assistance of a shoe horn. I was quite surprised how nuch free space there is inside.

So come on, I want two cameras, a GPS, USB, Fire Wire, and for us old timers an RS232 and Centronics parallel port. It will fit! :rofl:

fcc-ipad-internals-1-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Robert

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Eric for great review...

I assume you went for the 64G model did you get Wifi + 3G

Launch here in Australia is not till May prices likely to quite high dont know about that yet

3G is not available, even in the US, until April 30th. No, I initially got the 16GB model; I picked up a 64GB today, as I only have about 3GB left (thanks to 20 episodes of The Simpsons at about 300Mb each = 6GB!)

I talked to the Apple guy and he says that they're "going to be real busy" on April 30th - apparently a lot of people are holding off for the 3G version.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
3G is not available, even in the US, until April 30th. No, I initially got the 16GB model; I picked up a 64GB today, as I only have about 3GB left (thanks to 20 episodes of The Simpsons at about 300Mb each = 6GB!)

I talked to the Apple guy and he says that they're "going to be real busy" on April 30th - apparently a lot of people are holding off for the 3G version.

Thanks Eric presume if you want 3G you need to get ones so equipped and 3G upgrade to existing lesser Ipads is not possible as its a hardware chip thing

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
Did you import RAW files directly from the E-PL1? I ask because Aperture3 doesn't support those yet - I have to run a script that converts the identifier information in each file from E-PL1 to get Aperture to read them. So if Apple doesn't support raw from this camera yet, will the ipad? And assuming it does, will Aperture read them off of the ipad without first converting them? If it can do all that, it sounds highly useful. If it can't, it will be highly useful once Apple gets its act together vis a vis the E-PL1. In any case, great potential.

-Ray

Hi Ray,
Sadly it didn't work with the E-PL1 in Aperture. I could see pictures, but believe those were the JPGs (I am a noob with RAW format) I tried with the FZ50 and those transfer without problems.

I forgot to answer in your previous question. Once you import the pictures to the iPad, you can select to delete or rotate. That's all the extra functionality I saw from the camera kit. Of course you can email them or use those pictures with other apps, but the functionality of the photo app from Apple is very limited.

Gus

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Hi Ray,
Sadly it didn't work with the E-PL1 in Aperture. I could see pictures, but believe those were the JPGs (I am a noob with RAW format) I tried with the FZ50 and those transfer without problems.

I forgot to answer in your previous question. Once you import the pictures to the iPad, you can select to delete or rotate. That's all the extra functionality I saw from the camera kit. Of course you can email them or use those pictures with other apps, but the functionality of the photo app from Apple is very limited.

Gus
Thanks Gus - kind of what I figured. I think I'm gonna wait for the second or third gen ipad. I'm guessing over time it will pick up more and more laptop-like capabilities. At least some sort of basic in and out file management system for files/documents/etc.

-Ray

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
I have seen & heard a couple discussions regarding use of an Eye-Fi SD card to wirelessly transfer images from camera to the iPad. There is no direct way to do so right now but a workaround is to first transfer them to an online service and then have then available on the iPad through that services iPad app.

During the last This Week in Photography (TWIP) podcast, Joseph Linaschke of the ApertureExpert.com ? Your resource for tips & tricks, eBooks and education on Apple's Aperture 3 - Tips & Tricks outlined how he is using the Eye-Fi card to transfer jpg images to his account at SmugMug. He then utilizes the SmugMug iPad app to view the photo on his iPad. From his account, at this point, SmugMug is the only photo hosting service (inc. MobileMe) available through the Eye-Fi that also offers full screen image viewing on the iPad thru their respective app. While this might be more a novelty to the casual user, it offers the potential for a professional to be able to review selected images in the field/studio without having to be directly tethered to a computer with cables. Joseph said that the average transfer up and then down takes about 1.5 to 2 minutes. I am sure that with time, other apps will appear that will offer more functionality in this area.

On a somewhat different note, Joseph also has an article & video on his site about untethered camera file transfers with an Eye-Fi in studio that are scripted to go directly to Aperture. Probably not very useful or necessary for prosumers but might have some interest on the professional end.

ApertureExpert.com ? Your resource for tips & tricks, eBooks and education on Apple's Aperture 3 - Tips & Tricks - Who ShootsTethered?

Jamus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter Jamus
I'll wait for an actual device which multi-tasks better, and actually has lightroom/bridge/some sort of editing/organizing software on it. Also an SD slot or a USB.
I mean really, this thing looks great, but does it really provide much?

Apple has a history of having their next gens actually supplying the right amount of features anyway...

Robert Spoecker

Mu-43 Regular
Last time I posted on this thread I promised that when my Camera Connection Kit arrived I would write a little about it.

Good news friends, with the plug I just downloaded about twenty images from the camera memory card to the iPad and then downloaded the images from the iPad to my Mac as a second separate step and it all works easily.

I did it as follows...

This works on my iPad with the Camera Connection Kit and using a Macintosh computer.

1 - Connect the SDHC memory card from the camera to the appropriate plug which is plugged into the iPad.

2 - The iPad then automatically displays thumbnails of all the files on the card and then tapping on the thumbnails will select or deselect them as shown by a check mark in the bottom right hand corner on the thumbnails.

3 - After the selections are made tap the import button and all selected pictures are transferred to a stack in the Photos app named Last import (this is both jpg and orf raw files).

4 - Remove the Camera Connection Kit plug and connect the iPad to the computer via the USB connector.

5 - Your computer has a program on it called Image Capture which when run will display thumbnails of all images that have been downloaded from the camera memory card to the iPad.

6 - select all or a subset of all by selecting the ones you wish to download.

7 - Choose a directory you wish the downloaded pictures to go to and you can download your pictures.

The pictures in your specified directory are now there as if they were coming to the Mac from the memory card directly.

It is actually simpler than it sounds in my description.

Yay Apple :bravo-009:

I also have my iPad apple cover now. It feels so nice to carry it in my hand without the fear of its smooth aluminum and glass slipping out of my hand and falling to the floor.

Yay Apple again :2thumbs:

Robert

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Just FYI, there is another thread that is devoted to the https://www.mu-43.com/f73/review-ipad-camera-connection-kit-2547/#post24487 - where I just copied Robert's very nice feedback to.:wink:

Now, I know I should scroll back and double check, but has anyone gotten the new 3G version? I am considering buying one, ostensibly for my husband who is fed up using our daughter's ancient iBook...however, I am sure I will be using it quite a bit.:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom