The iPad

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Like a lot of others I am seriously thinking of acquiring one of these new devices..a grown up iPod is what it is with a few new innovations. I am aware of the manner in which you add data to it..through the iTunes however, once you have your images on it one might want to arrange or rearrange them and I was wondering if that is possible through an app and if so does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, I am listening......

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
iPad integration with Aperture

Bill, thanks for starting this thread now that the iPad is out. It will be a good resource starting thread.:thumbup:

I don't have an iPad, so although I can't be helpful, I was just about to start a thread about the possibilities of Aperture and the iPad. I found this interesting post on the Flickr Aperture User's Pool: iPad intergration. Even if you don't use Aperture, you might find it helpful reading while you await input from LisaO, GusNYC or another member.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Eric, thanks for your personal review - very entertaining. I'm with you, but where did this outrageous Apple evangelistic zeal come from? it's like a mind virus! :rofl:

I've got an iPod Touch, an iPhone... and I'm going to buy an iPad, but I still feel quite normal... when can I expect the Apple mind virus to strike? :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bill, thanks for starting this thread now that the iPad is out. It will be a good resource starting thread.:thumbup:

I don't have an iPad, so although I can't be helpful, I was just about to start a thread about the possibilities of Aperture and the iPad. I found this interesting post on the Flickr Aperture User's Pool: iPad intergration. Even if you don't use Aperture, you might find it helpful reading while you await input from LisaO, GusNYC or another member.

Hmmmmm.....it certainly looks interesting!! They will be available here in Canada towards the end of the month. As I leave April 30th I guess I will wait until I get home and then consider one of these little beauties!!

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
We'll probably end up with one each! Maybe we're already infected! :rofl:

Cheers

Brian

Bill Gordon

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eric thank you for your review! I definitely enjoyed reading it and now I must control myself a bit longer...unless by reading it I, too, now have the virus.:wink:

Well BB (Barbara, Betty, Beth, Belinda, Bonnie, Billie,)

it is a virus that does not send you to the hospital, but diminishes your Bank account!!! Over on DPR they are talking about an app that will allow you to tether the iPad to your camera so that you can review shots as you shoot!!:cool:

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
Eric, thanks for your personal review - very entertaining. I'm with you, but where did this outrageous Apple evangelistic zeal come from? it's like a mind virus! :rofl:

I've got an iPod Touch, an iPhone... and I'm going to buy an iPad, but I still feel quite normal... when can I expect the Apple mind virus to strike? :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

It strikes after one has been frustrated with using equipment for years that freezes, crashes etc and then one uses a piece of equipment that actually does what it's supposed to do. Having a background in Mechanical Engineering makes one appreciate elegant engineering and design....

BTW, here's the Simpsons "Mypods and Boomsticks" that parodies Mapple, er, Apple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2fsubA2-c

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I'm writing this on my iPad. You can make an album in iPhoto or aperture and then the iPad will play them in that order. Photos look excellent on the iPad I'm certain there will be some wonderful new apps coming out to take full advantage of it.

Rich M

Mu-43 Veteran
Oh Lisa......I have been trying to stay away from the Apple store.....but it's like distant drumbeats in the jungle....:smile:

Thanks for you comments.......(I think).

R

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi!

I am also writing this from my iPad. I really, really like it. It is a wonderful way to enjoy pictures. The application to see photos is incredibly fast and fun to use. The screen is amazing, very, very sharp. Even the format of the screen is perfect for 4/3 pictures. The whole experience is has been fantastic so far. I love the how everything feels snappy.

The only con is that I wish it would be a tiny bit lighter. This is a fantastic new category of product. I can see i will have it near me all the time.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Gus

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
apple makes the best laptops in the world , but i only use pc .....fate does that

from what ive read the ipad will be a very weakly processor -ed machine that can only run one app at a time, will not run flash, lacks a usb port,an sd slot and will have other limitations as well.

i think a small notebook, apple or pc make much more sense for the money

back alley

Mu-43 Regular
i have been wondering about the same thing, ipad versus my netbook.

the netbook is slower than my macbook but then the netbook can do more than an ipad. at least it can hold an old copy of elements and do image editing.

but i still want an ipad...

Robert Spoecker

Mu-43 Regular
I ordered my iPad today

I just ordered my iPad and can hardly wait. I have a few questions that maybe someone would kindly respond to...

I assume it wont display raw files like orf or cr2?

Can I upload files it does not recognize such as raw files and store them in a folder just to be downloaded to my home computer at a later date?

Does the iPad come with office tools such as a word processor, spread sheets and presentation manager?

Does anyone know applications of interest to photographers and where does one find them?

If the iPod has no USB ports how does one transfer files from a camera or from files on another computer to the Ipad?

Thats it for now. I hope by the time I have more questions I will have the iPad and answer my own questions. :rofl:

Thanks,

Robert

keehotee

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi!

I am also writing this from my iPad. I really, really like it. It is a wonderful way to enjoy pictures. The application to see photos is incredibly fast and fun to use. The screen is amazing, very, very sharp. Even the format of the screen is perfect for 4/3 pictures. The whole experience is has been fantastic so far. I love the how everything feels snappy.

The only con is that I wish it would be a tiny bit lighter. This is a fantastic new category of product. I can see i will have it near me all the time.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Gus

But small tablet pc's and netbooks have been on the market for a few years. How is this a new category - unless you mean small netbooks that will only run one app at a time and cost Apples usual, silly, amounts ??

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
But small tablet pc's and netbooks have been on the market for a few years. How is this a new category - unless you mean small netbooks that will only run one app at a time and cost Apples usual, silly, amounts ??

Did you read my review? It's the combination of 10+ hours battery life, a decent keyboard, beautiful screen, and little to no learning curve if one already uses an iPhone. Plus the content - if the 150,000 + apps for the iPhone is any indication of what may come for the iPad. This unit is about what you can do with it (content).

As for silly amounts, I respectfully disagree. I think a Mac computer is actually cheaper because it locks up, freezes, or gets a virus a lot less than a PC. Time is money. That's why even Consumer Reports gave a Mac a Best Buy a couple of years ago, calling it, "49,500 Reasons to Get A Mac" (at that time CR estimated there were 50,000 viruses for a PC versus 50 for a Mac, hence the
title). I don't have to use a virus scanner on my Mac.

Add to that the high resale value of a Mac (check Craigslist) and owning a Mac is like owning a good quality car - it's more money up front, but the higher resale value makes the cost of ownership not that much more.

I'm still using a Mac PC from 2002. It's a 768 Mhz machine with a 40 GB hard drive. Why do I still use it? Because it still works, whereas a HP laptop I had before that lasted 2 years before the wiring in the hinge broke.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I'm still using a Mac PC from 2002. It's a 768 Mhz machine with a 40 GB hard drive. Why do I still use it? Because it still works, whereas a HP laptop I had before that lasted 2 years before the wiring in the hinge broke.

Not getting into the debate about Mac vs PC, but where's the hinge on the Mac PC? :confused:

BTW, I've still got a 386 from whatever era 386s came from and it still works. :2thumbs:

Cheers

Ray

M

mabelsound

Richard, you import photos into the iPad via iTunes. It's quite easy. I don't think it is very useful for processing photos, but it is superb for viewing them. You can create folders on your computer, stick portfolios of work into them, and transfer them to the iPad...viola, you have a beautiful photo viewer. There will be a camera kit coming out that will allow you to transfer files directly from a camera or card, but it's hard for me to imagine using this regularly...you will want to process your picture in Lightroom or Aperture or whatever, then export jpegs to display on the ipad.

The word processor app is Pages, and it costs 10 dollars. It's adequate.

I think the iPad is a great device--you'll like it!

Also, I would like to suggest that any and all Mac vs. PC posts be deleted from the forum, with extreme prejudice, by mods. I would almost rather talk about politics than that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom