The iPad

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
When the camera adapter comes out later this month you will be able to copy RAW files for storage either from camera via special USB adapter or sd card.
My Kindle books look 1000% better on the iPad. Illustrated books are even in color.
The touch screen is great, yesterday I went to a lecture and took notes on the ipad it worked great, better than typing on a keyboard and some auto complete too.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Unfortunate choice of acronym... first thing I thought was 'Improvised Advertising Device' - could be extremely lucrative for Apple, will be interesting to see how it's going to work for the user.

Somehow reminds me of 1984... Big Brother is watching you :eek: only he's after your wallet! :rofl:

I still want one :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Ray, I read an article in the New York Times about this ad thing yesterday and almost posted it in here. I'm reserving judgement on all this until it shakes out - not that anyone but me cares about my judgement.:biggrin:

I'm still in the land of the luddites with my cell phone - I don't use email or the Internet from it because I'm too cheap.:wink:

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I borrowed one and liked it. It's heavy, but that's the price for great battery life. The only big downer for me, and it's a major one, is being locked into Apple's browser, which is totally unable to open access my hospital's web-based records. Don't know why that is the case, since every other browser I've used can do it (Safari, Firefox, IE, etc). If Apple allowed a Firefox app, I'd have an iPad 3G on pre-order. Since they chose to lock it down, I may not get one. Truth be told, I probably will, but only to hold me over until some good Android tablets come along :biggrin:.

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
No, they are using Safari exclusively on the iphone and ipad and that is Amin's issue as he needs a different browser for his hospital's web-based records.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
How iAds will likely work:

This app brought to you by: if you missed the announcement, iAd allows developers to insert ads into their applications. It's being touted as a smoother alternative to the current approach, which involves exiting the application to view ads in the Mobile Safari web browser and then struggling to return to the same point in the application. iAd will allow the app to basically pause for a commercial interruption, then resume in exactly the same place once the ad is finished.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/for-telcos-iphone-os-4-just-twists-the-knife-339302317.htm

Not sure I'd like to be interrupted by ads when working on something and not being able to do anything until it's run its course.

Cheers

Ray

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
don't think the iAd thing is supposed to sit in a productivity application, popping up to interrupt your work - watch how they are demonstrated in the keynote video...

its more like a banner ad that appears in a free app - you still have to opt in to view the ad. The idea is that viewing the ad if you choose, doesn't dump you out of the app you are using but does offer hopefully something engaging that makes it worthwhile to you - if what you see in the ad doesn't interest you you can cancel it

Its an interesing idea... we will see how it pans out -

K

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
don't think the iAd thing is supposed to sit in a productivity application, popping up to interrupt your work - watch how they are demonstrated in the keynote video...

its more like a banner ad that appears in a free app - you still have to opt in to view the ad. The idea is that viewing the ad if you choose, doesn't dump you out of the app you are using but does offer hopefully something engaging that makes it worthwhile to you - if what you see in the ad doesn't interest you you can cancel it

Its an interesing idea... we will see how it pans out -

K

I'm not sure based on what the review article says:

...iAd will allow the app to basically pause for a commercial interruption...

I reckon they will, if not from the outset, some time down the line be like those annoying pop-up ads that appears in news sites, which you have to click to close to get on with the reading (at least that option is still there). on the otherhand, when you want to watch a news video clip, you have no choice but to go through the ad at the start. This won't be like Tivo where you can go past the ads.

Cheers

Ray

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
They're not using Safari on the iPad? Just shows how little I know.

They're using a version of Safari, but it isn't the same as the Mac version. Safari on a Mac gets into my work site fine. Safari on the iPad/iPhone doesn't. I just wish they would allow some other browser options like they do on a Mac, but they're determined to keep this system locked down.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I can't believe it has no USB port. I guess they are not wanting to make it easy to hook up a USB drive.

I just read the guy that unlocks and jailbreaks the iPhone has posted the keys to unlock the iPad firmware too.

Gusnyc

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Oz, if you have time, you can look at the presentation of the iPhone 4.0. It explains how it work. It will interrupt if you click on the banner, the ad will open in the same window, without leaving the app. If you don't click, you won't be interrupted.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Hi Oz, if you have time, you can look at the presentation of the iPhone 4.0. It explains how it work. It will interrupt if you click on the banner, the ad will open in the same window, without leaving the app. If you don't click, you won't be interrupted.

OK. I think they'd have a riot on their hands if ads popped up like on TV, with no option but to view them or go make a coffee. However, I wouldn't put it past them, or anyone else for that matter.

Cheers

Ray

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I borrowed one and liked it. It's heavy, but that's the price for great battery life. The only big downer for me, and it's a major one, is being locked into Apple's browser, which is totally unable to open access my hospital's web-based records. Don't know why that is the case, since every other browser I've used can do it (Safari, Firefox, IE, etc). If Apple allowed a Firefox app, I'd have an iPad 3G on pre-order. Since they chose to lock it down, I may not get one. Truth be told, I probably will, but only to hold me over until some good Android tablets come along :biggrin:.

Good news Amin, Opera Mini has been approved for the App Store.

Cheers

Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom