The instance of post-processing challenge - requesting for tips

Juggernaut

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Larry
The photo was taken in the condition that was a nightmare for every photographer in every aspects: it was smog, overcast, humid and the time was in mid-day. Everything in front of me was terribly hazed. I would have abandoned this photo if it were not for the special ojbect in the picture - the highest cantilevered highway long-span bridge in the world "Bay-Pan-Jum (River) Bridge". The bridge was newly built in 2019, finishing the last missing section of 2900 km long "Hang-Ri highway" acrossing China. The clearance between the bridge deck slabs and the river surface (in the high water period) down below is 565m, which makes it the highest bridge (in terms of the clearance) in the world to date. As I was long for seeing it with my own eyes, I spent nearly 3 days (including I was stuck in horrible traffic jams for almost 5 hours) on driving nearly 650 miles for approaching it as close as possible. You can't see a bridge on the top of it, right? I got to use snaking trails winding the daunting mountains, reaching the point as I thought there was the best view I could have, and took this photo (certainly there were a few photos taken but none of them was better than this).
4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

According to the histogram, it has lost entire whites and blacks, most of bars cluster in the range of shadows and highlights, and a few are in the midtones. No matter what I have attempted, the result of my post-processing is either too sheen to be real or too lackluster to be attractive. Fortunately the raw still show all details and correct focus, I suppose sophisticated post processing skills may save the photo.
Any tips are welcome, if anyone likes to give a try, here is the RAW

Last edited:
I can also only download a JPG file. Here's a quick edit based on that:

I'm not a sophisticated photo editor by any means, but does this come close to what you want?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
From the jpeg. Could do more in the sky with the raw.

P1000527.RW2.jpg

Starting points - some pretty extreme adjustments by my own standards.

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 19.27.32.png

Used contrast and clarity to extend the tonal range along the length of the histogram, then adjusted highlights/shadows/blacks/whites. Took my neutral colour correction reading from the bridge.

There are also half a dozen local adjustments of about +0.5 of a stop. Also increased saturation on the red bridge.

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
The raw should give more headroom for modifications with less noise, but I would tend towards keeping the misty feeling and flat colors but enhancing the bridge detail.

Mods made in Gimp, Nik tools and G'mic. It isn't easy to show how I did it, and if you aren't using my tool set, it wouldn't matter anyway.

Juggernaut

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Larry
From the jpeg. Could do more in the sky with the raw.

View attachment 868916

Starting points - some pretty extreme adjustments by my own standards.

View attachment 868922

Used contrast and clarity to extend the tonal range along the length of the histogram, then adjusted highlights/shadows/blacks/whites. Took my neutral colour correction reading from the bridge.

There are also half a dozen local adjustments of about +0.5 of a stop. Also increased saturation on the red bridge.
I didn't realize Google photo album would automatically convert my raw file into a JPEG after I had uploaded it. My apologies, now the link is leading to the Raw.
Your result, even by using the JPEG, is much better than all what I have done. It would be an ideal one for me if the sky has less magenta. I will follow your tips to give another try.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I didn't realize Google photo album would automatically convert my raw file into a JPEG after I had uploaded it. My apologies, now the link is leading to the Raw.
Your result, even by using the JPEG, is much better than all what I have done. It would be an ideal one for me if the sky has less magenta. I will follow your tips to give another try.
Thanks. I'll have another go when it's normal to be awake in the UK. The sky is dreadful in mine. Lyle's is better.

Juggernaut

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Larry
@WhidbeyLVR; frankmulder
appologies for the confusion. Google photon album arbitraily converted my raw file into a Jpeg after I'd uploaded it. I have changed the space to google drive so it can storge a file of any kind.

Juggernaut

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Larry
this is the bridge aerial shapshot I found at a website, showing the true colors of the bridge, for reference.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
It is showing as an .RAR file that I cannot open, read or unzip. Otherwise I thought that LR Classic's dehaze feature might help a bit.

--Ken

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
My amateur attempt.
I'm proud of myself that resisted the temptation to replace the original sky.

Last edited:

Zeus1

Mu-43 All-Pro
Belgium, small town between Antwerp and Ghent
Started in DXO Photolab for noise reduction and correcting verticals. As DXO PL Elite didn't remove the haze, I switched to Photoshop to try dehazing, but that tool introduced important haloing around the bridge. Some minor tweaks. Then over to nik Viveza for lots and lots of control points. Finally sharpening only on the bridge and cables.

Here's another try, this time based on the RAW (not sure whether that makes any difference though). This is slowly becoming the new Post-processing Challenge. 😛

P1000527e2.jpg

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom