The Infrared Image Thread

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
untitled (24 of 98)-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
untitled (26 of 98).jpg
untitled (41 of 47).jpg
untitled (38 of 67).jpg
Infrareds Super Blue and Enhanced( yellow)

MattNQ

Mu-43 Regular
Couple from around a local WWII bunker

PB133293_edi1-L.jpg

PB133309_edit-L.jpg

PB133323_edit-L.jpg

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
IR Palm. U R Not.
PC060078a_SPDWeb.png

Olympus E-PL6 (Full Spectrum) | Lumix 12-32 3.5 (w/IR Filter 680) (Cross-post from Challenge thread)

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
PC070184aa_SPDWeb.png

Olympus E-PL6 (Converted) | M.Zuiko 12-50 3.5 (Cross-post from Challenge thread)

kauphymug

Mu-43 Regular
P1000849_DxO.jpg

Just had my GX7 converted to infra red 720 by Isaac Szabo and couldn't wait to try it out. Me thinks I'm gonna have some fun as soon as I learn a little manipulation in LR and DXO and I get the 12mm f2 lens I just bought from a member.

Last edited:

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
image.jpeg
Well, I don't have a converted camera. All I have is my EPL-1 and a Polaroid 720IR filter. All the previously posted images are amazing. I hope to do more when I get a new camera.

gengh

Mu-43 Regular
View attachment 111340 Well, I don't have a converted camera. All I have is my EPL-1 and a Polaroid 720IR filter. All the previously posted images are amazing. I hope to do more when I get a new camera.

A converted camera makes IR photography easier, that's for sure. I do not regret converting my G5, but I had a camera to spare.

I'd encourage you to continue using your 720 IR filter, and make creative use of the longer shutter speeds or high ISO you need to make IR photographs.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
A converted camera makes IR photography easier, that's for sure. I do not regret converting my G5, but I had a camera to spare.

New to the thread. Agreed on a converted camera. You don't have to use the latest and greatest model. Some of the older models can be had for very cheap now that can be converted with a total cash output not really much more than a cheaper lens price.

I started with IR with my old Olympus C-2020Z (2MP camera) that was very sensitive to IR light and was one of the earlier models often mentioned to try for people wanting to give IR shooting a try. Much later when I was shooting 4/3rds bodies (e.g. Oly E-3) I picked up an already converted Oly E-300 off eBay and that served me well for a few years. I then bough an E-M1 a couple years ago and last year decided it was time to upgrade my IR camera to a micro-4/3rds model as well. Last summer I picked up a used Oly E-P2 for about $100 US and then had it converted for about $125 more. I was able to take it on our family vacation last summer and have it share lenses with my E-M1 without adding much bulk to my travel kit. Worked out very well.

So for ~$225 total I have a very capable IR camera that can shoot IR hand held with my current lenses. Those earlier Olympus and Panasonic models are considered outdated now so can be had for very cheap. But they are still very much useful for IR shooting. Many of the updates over the years do not really matter for IR work such as being able to shoot at much higher ISOs as we almost always shoot during the day so the base ISO is fine for example.

In my opinion, if you find you like IR shooting, a converted camera can be a low cash investment and makes IR shooting much easier and more versatile.

mw6sense

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
patrick cheung
New to the thread. Agreed on a converted camera. You don't have to use the latest and greatest model. Some of the older models can be had for very cheap now that can be converted with a total cash output not really much more than a cheaper lens price.

I started with IR with my old Olympus C-2020Z (2MP camera) that was very sensitive to IR light and was one of the earlier models often mentioned to try for people wanting to give IR shooting a try. Much later when I was shooting 4/3rds bodies (e.g. Oly E-3) I picked up an already converted Oly E-300 off eBay and that served me well for a few years. I then bough an E-M1 a couple years ago and last year decided it was time to upgrade my IR camera to a micro-4/3rds model as well. Last summer I picked up a used Oly E-P2 for about $100 US and then had it converted for about $125 more. I was able to take it on our family vacation last summer and have it share lenses with my E-M1 without adding much bulk to my travel kit. Worked out very well.

So for ~$225 total I have a very capable IR camera that can shoot IR hand held with my current lenses. Those earlier Olympus and Panasonic models are considered outdated now so can be had for very cheap. But they are still very much useful for IR shooting. Many of the updates over the years do not really matter for IR work such as being able to shoot at much higher ISOs as we almost always shoot during the day so the base ISO is fine for example.

In my opinion, if you find you like IR shooting, a converted camera can be a low cash investment and makes IR shooting much easier and more versatile.

$125 for IR conversion! Can you tell me where you got it done? Thanks.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
$125 for IR conversion! Can you tell me where you got it done? Thanks.
Sure thing. Looks like he may have raised his prices a bit, so now it is ~$140 for the 12MP models. Quick turn around time though.

Items in image-laboratory store on eBay!

Specifically, the 12MP micro-4/3rds models conversion can be found here...
ALL 12 Mp Olympus E-PM1 PL1 PL2 IR conversion service Infrared or Full Spectrum

$164 is you have a newer 16MP model...
16MP Olympus E-PM2 E-PL5 6 7 camera IR InfraRed Full Spectrum Conversion service

$189 is you have an E-M5 or E-M10...
Olympus om-d e-m5 e-m10 Infrared Full Spectrum camera Conversion UV+Visible+IR

He also does some other brands of cameras.

Just a satisfied customer, not affiliated in any way.

mw6sense

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
patrick cheung
Sure thing. Looks like he may have raised his prices a bit, so now it is ~$140 for the 12MP models. Quick turn around time though.

16MP Olympus E-PM2 E-PL5 6 7 camera IR InfraRed Full Spectrum Conversion service

Wow, thanks for the detailed info. I have a EPL5 and 7 so it's going to cost me a bit. I think I am going to stay with my non-IR hobby for now.

drjs

Mu-43 Rookie

I second this. I had two cameras converted by image laboratory and both came back in perfect condition. He is also able to customize various filters. I had a 46 mm color correction filter made so I can shoot normal color on my converted E-PM2. The frame I needed wasn't in stock so he purchased another filter and reverse engineered it for me so I can receive the item in time. Pretty decent service overall.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
There are a handful of pre-converted cameras on evil-bay most of the time too. I found that a cheaper option than converting my spare body :)

Last edited:

MattNQ

Mu-43 Regular
Went wandering around a swamp on the weekend.
IR modified Oly EPM1 + m.zuiko 9-18.
Just in case you are interested - In PP, I added some IR film-ish flare to soften it a bit, plus some tonemapping to maintain detail
This series is called "Dance of the haunted trees"

Bark ballet
P3073461_edit2-L.jpg

Trunk Tango
P3073488_edit-L.jpg

Ballroom in the boonies
P3073444_edit3-L.jpg

gpburdell

Mu-43 Veteran
I second this. I had two cameras converted by image laboratory and both came back in perfect condition.
I'm another satisfied ImageLaboratory customer. I bought a refurb E-PM2 and sent it to him for IR conversion; he did a great job.

Latest threads

Top Bottom