The incredible Olympus stockpile

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by dhazeghi, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not strictly m4/3 related, but I continue to be amazed at the number of refurbished Olympus products available (with warranty) years after they were discontinued.

Examples:
    Olympus E-420 (4/3) DSLR - discontinued May, 2009
    Olympus 14-54/2.8-3.5 (mk1) lens - discontinued Dec, 2008
    Olympus 50-200/2.8-3.5 (non-SWD) lens - discontinued Oct, 2007

All are (or were recently) available refurbished with Olympus warranty through authorized dealers like Cameta and B&H.

Makes one wonder if there isn't some giant warehouse of Olympus equipment somewhere that they're slowly clearing out...

DH

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's an interesting theory. However since these are refurbished products it's just as likely that they are warranty returns or demos or some such. Couldn't that explain it?

3. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's probably what they are mostly. But 3+ years after the product was discontinued? It's just surprising there's so many demos and returns. It makes me suspect that there's a great deal of unsold inventory somewhere - though probably not all in one big warehouse!

DH

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Seems like Cameta is their outlet stateside! Seriously, how many E-PL1 and E-P2 bodies does cameta have? :eek:

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I was at my local camera shop yesterday searching for the OMD. They told me that it is unlikely that they'd get the OMD, because they've had a hard time moving Oly inventory. I counted at least half a dozen EP2 and one EPL2 in stock (in boxes) on the shelves. There were also two E520's. And unlike the big boys, the prices were all still the original retail prices.

ps: I originally thought this thread was going to be about the discovery of a secret stockpile of OMD's at some local store!!

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hmm maybe that's why they have problems moving inventory????
    Let's stock really old hardware and sell them at their original price while there is much newer stuff out there selling at the same price. Why aren't we selling? :confused:

7. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    yes, I think there's a magic room somewhere that just keeps refreshing inventory!

Seriously though, my company is an Olympus partner and every now and then, I check the Olympus partner page for refurb gear. Recently, it has seen an influx of refurbished 4/3 lenses - at AMAZING prices.

For example:

- ZD 50/2.0 macro: $254
    - ZD 14-54/2.8-3.5: $204
    - ZD 11-22/2.8-3.5: $404
    - ZD 70-300/4-5.6: $204

I've owned all of the lenses above except for the 70-300; I'm thinking of getting one to use with my EPL1 and DMW-MA1...

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Are those available to the rest of us? :)

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is a stockpile of Olympus cameras and lenses in Fort Knox.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There's probably one of those too!

I think it's the other way around. If the stuff doesn't sell, it sits. Inventory costs (both in terms of space and sunk capital). The high prices are just a result of the (vain) hope of recouping some of that. If stuff sits long enough, you stop even noticing you're carrying it :smile:

I'll also bet there are a good many E-P2s and E-P1s in storerooms...

Definitely a buyer's market. Even with the newer stuff. Some of it's dangerously tempting. Just have to remember how ungodly slow the 50/2 is on m4/3.

DH

11. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    True, but at some point you gotta cut your losses and sell. Better at a loss than no sale at all, I would think.

I still have my 50/2. I bought it a few months before the 45mm f/1.8 was announced. I thought I was going to sell it but I'm keeping it. It's so sharp. AF speed of course is terribad, but this puppy really shines in product photography, where the AF speed is not an issue. Also, unlike many other drive-by-wire manual focus lenses (I'm looking at you 20mm!), manual focusing with the 50/2 is a pleasure.