'The "Iceman" Returns'

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RT_Panther, Nov 29, 2011.

1. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    There is only one iceman: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihvvf1R_vWo]Albert Collins - Iceman - YouTube[/ame]
  2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Bad move I think. He and Shuey should start a Senior GP Tour for past-their-prime F1 racers. The only rule would be that they must race their old racecars. I think I would pay to see that. While we're at it, we bring back Super Mario:

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    So...no comeback for Kubica then? On a sidenote, why are there two seemingly unconnected "Lotus" teams in Formula One?
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Kubica has said publicly that he's not ready to come back yet - certainly not for the start of the season. No word yet on later on in 2012.

Re: Lotus. It's a long story involving one team purchasing rights to the original Team Lotus F1 team (which had become separated from the company that makes the road cars - probably when GM owned Lotus) and the on-road sports car company backing the former factory Renault F1 team a year later.

Fast forward past a court battle and there are no longer two Lotus teams in F1. There is Lotus-Renault (which was the Group Lotus team) and Caterham (which was formerly Team Lotus). Caterham, by the way, was the company that bought - and still produces - the original Lotus 7 ultra-minimalist road sportscar. Tony Fernandes, who owns the F1 team, brought the Caterham sports car company. Make sense?

I don't like the idea of Kimi coming back to F1. He was having trouble in his last season. I suspect he won't have much more luck than Schumacher. If they wanted a name, Lotus-Renault should have signed Rubens Barichello, who has been doing a solid job with the completely uncompetitive Williams. But, like everything else in F1, I'm sure it has to do with money. I'll bet Kimi will bring sponsorship dollars. I could be wrong, of course, but my gut tells me it's something like this.
    • Like Like x 1