1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The IBIS causing blured images with the OM-D and Samyang 7.5mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sam_m, Jun 14, 2012.

1. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Just recently got the OMD and absolutely love it, but thought I would try the fisheye but its not happy when the IBIS is activated

I have the camera set so half press activates the IBIS and the image just jumps around like its trying very hard to stablize a very shakey camera.

I understand generally its easy to hand hold the fisheye, but I didnt think it would have such a bad effect as all the images I took were out of focus whereas normaly they would be crystal clear, so the IBIS would need to be switched off everytime I used the fisheye.

Has anyone else experienced this at all as it seems a bit odd that the image jumps around so much. Is it something to do with the fact its a manual lens and the IBIS cant detect that it is an ultra wide field of view?

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Does the camera recognize the focal length automatically with the samyang? If not did you manually set it?

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Set the IS focal length to 8mm, this is a manual lens without electrical contacts to communicate the lens with the body.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you set the MF IBIS setting to the nearest focal length which would be 8mm?

5. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Oops, I didnt even look for the option :redface::redface: Yes it was set at 50mm, which im guessing is the default.

Thanks chaps, sorted now :thumbup:

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Changing that setting is one of the things that I seem to forget to do frequently. It's not in the SCP directly, so I often miss making the change when I swap lenses in a hurry.

I forgot it the other day going from 300mm to 50mm and got about halfway through the shooting session before I chimped a shot and saw the problem. When I went back through the shots I found most of were still okay even with the wrong settings. I thought about why that might be and came to the conclusion that if the shutter speed was fast enough the IS system didn't try to compensate. It was only when it thought it needed to help with a slow shutter speed that it calculated the movement incorrectly and blurred the shot.

This got me to thinking about why we have to tell the camera the focal length for legacy lenses. It evidently picks up camera movements, and has to be told the focal length to figure out how much and how fast that would shift the image in the length of time the shutter is going to be open.

It's probably also used to decide if the IS even needs to kick in or not based on a 1 / focal length shutter speed cut-off. That would explain why the shots were still turning out fine even with the setting so far off (300 vs 50) since I was shooting in bright light and fast shutter speeds at the beginning of the session.

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The thought just occurred that if the camera is applying IS in response to sensing camera movement then you shouldn't need to turn it off if mounted on a tripod. Could it be that it's not actually detecting the camera's movement, but instead is just vibrating the sensor mount with an amplitude and frequency that's intended to average out some hypothetical motion? More research required...

• Like Like x 1
  8. the_student

the_student New to Mu-43

May 28, 2012
    I have another question regarding the manual setting in focal length for the IS.

I too have the samyang 7.5mm fisheye lens. Let's say I pop that lens on my OMD and manually set the IS focal length to 8mm. When I put on a native m43 lens like the 45mm 1.8...and the focal length seems to still be on 8mm, will it matter? Will the camera automatically adjust during shooting although the setting remains at 8mm?

Thanks

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The manual setting will not affect electronic lenses.

10. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I wish Oly allowed you to "disable" the manual lens focal lengths you don't use or don't own lenses for. I only have 28, 50, and 135's, but it adds a significant amount of time to a lens change when I have to scroll through all the selections from 28 to 135!

11. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    It would be nice to have it as a direct entry in SCP - or ideally remembered in mysets.