The "I went for a sunrise shoot and the sunrise was rotten" shot

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Aug 22, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The title says it all.

This is Shelly Park Beach Bathes in Cronulla, a Southern suburb of Sydney.

Shot with my Olypmus E-P1 and Olympus 9-18mm lens at the 9mm end of the zoom. I have shot this location before but only with a 20mm lens so this is a somewhat wider shot.

Shame about the sunrise but that's as good as it got this weekend. It was hight tide and the swell was flatter than a pancake. Worst of all possible scenarios.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/23034038@N05/4916249546/" title="Shelly Beach Pool by peterb666, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="450" alt="Shelly Beach Pool" /></a>

• Like Like x 4
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    So we are left with three colors and several shapes. I like each of the colors. I like each of the shapes. This is a photo that rewards contemplation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Whilst of course I can't see outside the frame I personally might have been tempted to place the vertical sign towards the right hand side of the picture, perhaps 1/3 of the way into frame, just my feelings and hopefully taken in a constructive way. Perhaps you might comment on your reason for placing it in the centre.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  4. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    In retrospect, the sign placement is wrong. The problem I was pre-occuplied was dealing with the stong shadows caused by the very strong sodium vabour lighting from behind me that was casting a very distinct shadow of me and my tripod into the shot. There is also a secondary light source that has cast quite a faint shadow anyway (which I have only just noticed).

I did another shot to the left which resulted in the sign being better sited but I noticed that secondary shadow and didn't use it. I might play around with that one in Photoshop and see what I can do with it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    You seem to have a lot of coast illuminated by sodium lights, if I'm not mistaken this factor has arisen in other of your coastal photographs :smile:
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts over the issue of composition problems.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  6. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have two theories about the lighting, either:

1. people swim at night, or

2. the sharks like to see what they are eating.

Almost all the rock pools for adults are lit at night. I only know of 3 that aren't and one of them is abandoned.

• Like Like x 4
  7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Blimey, perhaps if you begin to feel the economic downturn over there in Oz maybe they'll turn them off for you.

Barrie

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Peter, I wonder what this might be like in black and white? I agree with chalkdust about the interesting lines and shapes. I can understand why you're not pleased with this photo because compared to you others it is quite different due to the unreal qualities, especially. And I know you hate those lights - very funny by the way about the reasons for them.

Just maybe turning it into black and white or monochrome might be a pleasant surprise for you. I see quite a bit about this image that I do like.

9. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I love that pic . . . colors are outstanding.

Would you mind posting the shot from the 20mm? I'm a super noob and would like to see the difference in perspective.

Lee

10. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The conditions were completely different and I didn't do a shot from the same spot so it is difficult to give a comparison.

I will hunt through the 2 collections and see if I can find 2 from a similar spot with a similar outlook but for the time being there is this one ...

[​IMG]
    Shelly Park - Cronulla-6 by peterb666, on Flickr

You can just make out the Kurnell Peninsular on the horizon on the left side and that nearly matched up with the wider shot.

• Like Like x 2
  11. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Just looked through your shots from this location via Flickr and am amazed.

12. PeterB666

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter