1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The "Hunger Games"

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Stephen Geis, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Anyone else have children stomping aroung in their backyard with homemade bows pretending they are in the "Hunger Games"? Every since the book came out, my elder daughters have been waiting for the movie. Now that they've seen the movie, they have their younger brothers hooked ...

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yYhCTSPOZ-k1rbJHBy-BLNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nFPTKi-CSUA/T3o3jQ03a3I/AAAAAAAAI_A/opYddbeHJMQ/s640/P1560240.JPG" height="640" width="428" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/StephenAGeis/HungerGames?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Hunger Games</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XfUYDB5V3Hg5IxffUhFJGtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=embedwebsite">[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RCfYaJOBVgc/T3o4V8fPfFI/AAAAAAAAI_I/9ZZsTHFaOKE/s640/P1560229.JPG" height="640" width="428" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/StephenAGeis/HungerGames?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Hunger Games</a></td></tr></table>

• Like Like x 5
  2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    The question is ... are there arrows to go along with the bows?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Of course there are - made of long, straight dried hydrangea stems. So on the off chance they actually hit something, they have all the damage potential of a spitball.

The bows are sticks with strings made of yarn.

Surprisingly though, despite being light as balsa wood, they've figured out ways to shoot these hydrangea stems 10 to 15 yards. The ingenuity of children will never cease to amaze me ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    GASP! ITS DOGNISS NEVERDEAN! ;D

too cute!

the best ive gotten so far is my best buddy saying "why dont i have a friend named katniss?!"

hehehe

• Like Like x 1
  5. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    We are right there with you.

My son's archery journey began when he was 8 and read "The Ranger's Apprentice" series. After a couple weeks of making stick bows, which of course aren't ideal, and I knew what his birthday present was going to be. For his 9th birthday he received a nice youth wooden recurve bow. He spends hours and hours shooting arrows in the yard, and it has been almost a year. We live in the woods with no close neighbors, so I don't have to worry about him shooting one into the neighbors house like I did when I was a kid. :redface:
    Of course, he read The Hunger Games series, so that has helped keep up his interest.

Saw the movie this weekend and it is very good, but not as good as the books, which is the way it usually is.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX

omg the books were SO much better
    the movie cuts out all her inner monologue! thats the best stuff!!!!

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I have an embarrassing story. When I was young, I was obsessed with all things medieval. One Christmas I asked Santa Claus for a cloak as well as a bow and arrow. Well, both of them appeared under the tree. Unbeknownst to me, my mother stayed up late nights making me a gorgeous red velvet hooded cloak (very useful for Red Riding Hood costumes in later years) ... which I still have by the way although it's just hip length now instead of floor length!

The bow was a true compound bow and came with actual metal-tipped arrows. Maybe 10 pounds pull so not a lot but I could definitely have hurt someone pretty bad with it. In retrospect I have no idea why my parents let me have such a thing. We lived in a suburban neighborhood. My dad set me up with a little 20 ft target range (some bales of hay inside the shed).

Anyway, the embarrassing thing was this. One day I was practicing and I got bored, and there was a bucket on the ground about 10 ft away. I said to myself, wouldn't it be cool if I shot an arrow into the mouth of the bucket and made it fly across the yard? So I took the shot and missed. And the arrow went ... into the side of our (aboveground) pool.

Oops.

Had to tell dad about that one right quick. :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I laughed so hard when I read this, my coffee nearly came out of my nose!

Bet that was, and still is, something the family remembers!

10. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Have to admit - liked the book, but I suspect the movie will not be something I remember. (Don't tell my pre-teen daughters, they're STILL talking about - easily number one topis of conversation around our household)

11. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC

I might steal that and slip it into conversation with my kids - they'd appreciate the twist on the name ...

12. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks - converted OOC jpeg to sepia, then desaturated a little using Picasa. I'm not big into post processing. I suspect though I will need to take the plunge and buy Silver Efex Pro - it seems to be the gold standard for B&W processing