1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The Hood thread

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Speedliner, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    was wondering if anyone has found superior alternatives to some of the OEM hoods. Sliding hoods like the one for the O60 that can be used on various lenses....a reversible hood for the Pl25....that sort of thing.

Hardly a major issue, but as weneed, or current break, it would be nice to know the best alternatives. I especially hate the non-reversible hoods. They just waste space. And if there are retractable a that work for a variety of lenses, that would be the home run.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    JJC makes compatible hoods for many lenses, iirc I have ones for:
    O 14-42mm
    O 17mm (metal)
    O 45mm
    O 40-150mm R

All are reversible, but other than being cheaper I don't think they have any features that the Oly hoods don't.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Some of my Pentax lenses have collapsing rubber hoods... They take up very little space but aren't very long.

Barry

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also JJC does them for the M9-18, 12-50 (tulip) & O60 macro (sliding like the Oly).

5. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    So hoods. Why?

6000 photos with this system and I just haven't once gone, "Damn, should've used a lens hood here." I carry two hoods in my bag all the time and I've yet to use them, in any lighting conditions.

Sorry, should this be a new thread?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ross the fiddler

What about lens filters? I prefer to use hoods for physical protection too.

7. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    #1: flare reduction

#2: protection

I am a hood proponent. Flare reduction depends on the conditions, but lens protection is always a good reason to use a hood. I no longer use UV filters for prophylactic purposes and so the hood is a helpful line of defense. If you have a significant impact, a shattered filter can damage the front element anyways. The hood is good.

8. Ross the fiddler

I guess you leaving the hoods in your bag means it looks intentional instead of those that leave their hood in the reversed position (when conditions are obvious that a hood would be best to use) just because the lens came with it. I'm not sure they know what it is really for!

EDITED so not to be insulting to some.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I may not know what every gadget my spouse bought for our home does but I can guarantee I know what everything in my camera bags do. I've even got some ancient stuff (1940 - 1960) that's in a storage bag that I know it's function. I'll never use those ancient gadgets but my Dad carried them in his camera bag so I'll always keep them.
    Bobby

10. Ross the fiddler

Mmmmm... I'm not sure of your point here & I keep things of my father's that I am unlikely to use too, but my comment above was referring to the typical first time DSLR user (& sometimes more experienced users that one would think would know better) with one lens & the lens hood is parked in reverse on the lens while they're outdoors on a sunny day happily snapping away & looking cool with their you beaut DSLR camera & ....... Well, you get the picture (or gist of what I'm saying).

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    This thread wasn't started to discuss pros and cons of hood use, or insult each other. It was simply to discuss the best hoods for those who like them and retractable hoods in general since they seem like a good idea, not readily available.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Sorry. It was called 'the hood thread' so I made a clearly false assumption. I can only apologise :(

13. Ross the fiddler

I'm also sorry for taking the thread further off the intended subject & comments that may have been taken as insulting.

I hope you, Speedliner have found a hood maker that produces the hood you were hoping for. Unfortunately, JJC (& uWinKa, which I avoid using because it sounds too much like something else) only copies the original (Olympus) designs & others I have tried & seen are screw in types that take up room & don't reverse (without unscrewing). The JJC sliding hood for the Oly 60mm macro lens might not slide as perfectly as the original Oly version perhaps (I've not tried the Oly one) but I used a little pencil lead (graphite) to assist with the fitting & sliding & it does me.

14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    No worries. Haven't found an option other than less expensive clones. That's why I asked.

15. Ross the fiddler

I thought I'd try for a search of quality aftermarket lens hoods & this appeared. http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ It'll give you a good chuckle! :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Some people find screw-on hoods to be very helpful to use with CPL filters.

• Agree Agree x 1