1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

the hood for olympus 14-42mm II ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yanning, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Yanning

Yanning New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi guys:

I just receive my EM-5 with 14-42mm lens , so do I need to buy the hood LH-40 for olympus 14-42mm II lens? I confuse whether the zoom lens also need the hood? and when you lengthen your lens with the hood, whether your lens with hood looks like an odd and freak goods?

I hope you can give some suggestions.

Thanks~

Yanning

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's a matter of taste. The hood certainly blocks out some amount of side light, which can mean better image quality. But it's also a certain amount of bulk and expense.

I don't think it looks particularly odd when the lens is extended.

Here's a photo of it on the nonextended lens.

3. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Hoods do provide some protection for things bumping into and hitting your front lens element. I prefer using one to a protective filter. Also, you can pick up a cheaper bayonet style hood on Amazon for quite a bit less than the Olympus brand model.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.