The "heavy price" one pays for full frame

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
As I understand it, Olympus made the 8.33x zoom 12-100 as a 'statement product' - i.e. to show that they could make an essentially perfect lens with a zoom range from UWA to medium telephoto that was excellent across the frame at all FLs and apertures when no one else could.
Firmware correction is part of their formula.
They succeeded.
It is still unequalled IMNSHO.

I have to say that (despite currently using other systems) if I was ever in a position where I absolutely had to choose just one lens for all my needs the Olympus 12-100 is the only one I would be considering - it covers reasonably wide angle and goes all the way to the equivalent of 200mm on a FF 70-200 so to an extent is very useful for sports / motorsports (where long run off areas and subject distances are not an issue)
With a reasonably sized fixed aperture and the superb 5-6 stop Sync IS on Olympus bodies the lens is a do it all that is absolutely unrivalled elsewhere

If I also had to mate it with just one body and I could strictly only keep the one lens and the one body it would be the EM1X and the 12-100 - fantastic package - the EM1X is a little too big for general use imo but as I would have to cover Motorsports use it would have to be this combination
Despite the size of the EM1X - the combo still fits nicely into a medium sized bag
I’d say that for all round use including a bit of sports or other genres that require some telephoto ability this is probably the best single lens / body combination available on any system
For most users imo who ‘only’ want to shoot landscape, portraits and general walkabout etc - I’d say that the EM1 Mk3 with the 12-100 would be the better choice

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
As I understand it, Olympus made the 8.33x zoom 12-100 as a 'statement product' - i.e. to show that they could make an essentially perfect lens with a zoom range from UWA to medium telephoto that was excellent across the frame at all FLs and apertures when no one else could.

Firmware correction is part of their formula.

They succeeded.

It is still unequalled IMNSHO.

I have to say that (despite currently using other systems) if I was ever in a position where I absolutely had to choose just one lens for all my needs the Olympus 12-100 is the only one I would be considering - it covers reasonably wide angle and goes all the way to the equivalent of 200mm on a FF 70-200 so to an extent is very useful for sports / motorsports (where long run off areas and subject distances are not an issue)
With a reasonably sized fixed aperture and the superb 5-6 stop Sync IS on Olympus bodies the lens is a do it all that is absolutely unrivalled elsewhere

If I also had to mate it with just one body and I could strictly only keep the one lens and the one body it would be the EM1X and the 12-100 - fantastic package - the EM1X is a little too big for general use imo but as I would have to cover Motorsports use it would have to be this combination
Despite the size of the EM1X - the combo still fits nicely into a medium sized bag
I’d say that for all round use including a bit of sports or other genres that require some telephoto ability this is probably the best single lens / body combination available on any system
For most users imo who ‘only’ want to shoot landscape, portraits and general walkabout etc - I’d say that the EM1 Mk3 with the 12-100 would be the better choice

Yeah, the 12-100 is quite the lens. I had a dalliance with Nikon Z last year and pre-ordered the 24-200 thinking it would replace the 12-100. When it eventually arrived, I was sorely disappointed. Nowhere near as nice a lens. Lots of purple fringing, esp at the long end, which I often found impossible to remove against a blue sky (quite important for trees !); and just lacking the clarity & contrast that the 12-100 has.

Real Name
Walter

That was a superb shot of the racing bike, BTW.

Did you use Motorsports AF on those shots? If you did, I just wonder what you thought of that vs using C-AF or S-AF to shoot motorsports. I figure that's one distinguishing characteristic of the EM1X that is not duplicated in the EM1 III and further differentiates it for that purpose. Thanks.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom