The GX's

chaconi

Mu-43 Regular
Recently I had a Leica M260. A delightful rig if I ever saw one, but I could never get the Jpegs to my liking. Funny I never had this problem with the M9. So the question I had was to go back to the M9 or save up for the M10 series? in the mean time, I picked up the Pany GX9 and a used GX8. Included was the kit 12-60 (24-120), a Pany/Leica 15/1.7 and a 42.5/1.7 lenses. Working out to an odd 30mm (but very workable) and an 85mm. I keep saying that they are a stop gap until I get an M10, but the rendering of the images and the ergonomics of the setups are growing on me.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Reckon the Gx-8 is one of the most under rated cameras of any brand.

The Gx-9 is my "procrastination" camera. There's enough to it to make me want one - size, G9 sensor, L.monoD, general form factor - and enough missing to make me not - weathersealing, small 16:9 evf. I suspect I'll end up with a used one at some point, or an LX100. I've changed my mind several times on whether to buy or not.

Anyway, enjoy them both. Either of them with the 15PL are great rigs if you like shooting with aperture rings , as do I.

Ps- and I agree on the Leica's. Purely from what I see online, the M10 looks a better output than the M240 series, and closer to the ccd colours of the M8/M9 .

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
The GX85/GX9 are wonderful cameras, I enjoyed the GX85 when I had one (currently all Oly). Bang for the buck it's top of the Panasonic line IMHO. For some reason I've never liked how the GX8 felt on my hand, not sure why.

The LX100 / LX100 II are really pretty nice if you can get alone with the power zoom. Personally the zoom part is OK, but the startup / shutdown annoy me too much (I've owned the LX100 twice).

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
I own a G-X8, superb machine except they have a noisy mechanical shutter! I have handled at a camera show recently and it not a patch on the G-X8 the EVF is just dire, the 4*3 format of the EVF is an afterthought sadly it’s obviously pointed at video makers, to the detriment of stills photographers. In my eyes the G-X9 is never going to be a successor to the G-X8 in a million years!

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I own a G-X8, superb machine except they have a noisy mechanical shutter! I have handled at a camera show recently and it not a patch on the G-X8 the EVF is just dire, the 4*3 format of the EVF is an afterthought sadly it’s obviously pointed at video makers, to the detriment of stills photographers. In my eyes the G-X9 is never going to be a successor to the G-X8 in a million years!
It's not meant to be. Just unfortunate naming. Remember, in Japan its referred to as the GX7 mk III. Its just a result of the policy shift where a G camera (G9) ended up being the photo flagship instead of a GX because they found the SLR form factor sold better.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
It's not meant to be. Just unfortunate naming. Remember, in Japan its referred to as the GX7 mk III. Its just a result of the policy shift where a G camera (G9) ended up being the photo flagship instead of a GX because they found the SLR form factor sold better.
There was also a roadmap that showed the GX8 on a different line than GX85 / GX9. They REALLY should have called it the GX95 but did they ask us?

Funny I have had the same.
Have M9 and likes the color, have got a M240 for lower light and sometimes EVF Liveview when using certain lens that I know I will have issue focusing or ultrawides. The M240 outputs are just OK, not like the M9 files.
Got a Panasonic S1R lately, and I like the color and rendering better than M240’s. So M240 is to go and the S1R’s viewfinder make focusing much easier for some of the old lens. For rangefinder style shooting I will stick with M9 only.
And funny again, I picked up an used GX8 because I like S1R. A couple years ago I sold off all M43 gears(had GX7 and EM1), but I think I’m going to keep the M43 for a while again, for certain stuff.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom