The Gx8 @ 1080P with software & OIS Stabilization....

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by D7k1, Feb 26, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    We all know that 4k is a different beast due to its resolution for shooting with a moving camera. However today I was test the Gx8 @ 1080p with the built-in stabilization and OIS with the 12-35 and the 7.5mm. I was on level ground and walking slowly - the results were pretty darn good fake steady cam video. I normally run any shaking stuff through Mercalli 4.0 PRO and it does an incredible job. But I think for run and gun work this GX8 combination at 1080P is very usable and at most will take a very quick run in Mercalli to be perfect if needed. If you've got a Gx8 try it, you might like it.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

You mean the IBIS works for video as well now? I thought in the GXs it was for stills only?

3. D7k1

Nov 18, 2013
    If you have an OIS lens, for 1080p only the Gx8 can add software stabilization along with the lens stabilization and it is very effective IMHO.

4. imxkal

imxkal New to Mu-43

Nov 3, 2015
    I have the 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 which shows dual IS when I'm taking stills. Doesn't seem to have any stabilization when shooting in 1080p.
    Is there a setting in the menu that I need to turn on?

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

On the GX8 you'll get lens stabilisation when shooting video. You should see a "lens" text in the top-right to tell you that lens only stabilisation is in use.

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I have the same lens, by itself I'd say there's very little to none effective I.S.

try some other lenses with O.I.S., this lens has very weak stablisation.

7. D7k1

Nov 18, 2013
    Yes, to get the software stabilization along with an IS lens you have to:

Page 216 of the manual shows the possible combinations, however you must do the following:

Go into menu and camera (not video setup) and go to stabilization, go into stabilization and you will see the second menu option of video E stabilization turn it on. Then make sure you are recording @ 1080 not 4K and have an IS lens. You will now have a form of dual image stabilization and you will see it on your display screen.

Works that way with my 12-35, 35-100, and Pl100-400.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  8. shimon

shimon Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 23, 2017
    When using the "5-Axis Hybrid Image Stabilizer" be aware that it crops the image slightly due to software image shifting to correct for movement (see note on pg 217: "When [ON] is selected, the angle of view of recorded motion pictures may become narrower.") Not a big deal but this cropping is necessary (just as with any software stabilization).

9. D7k1

Nov 18, 2013
    Evern Mercalli Pro crops, it depends on what settings you use. But for the times when 60 FPS is required its very handy.