1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

The GX1 taking over the G3 line?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    First major GH2 price reductions, now G3 bodies being discontinued according to B&H:

panasonic g3

I wonder if Panasonic is phasing out the G3 in favor of the GX1 (better margins with accessories and less overlap with the GH2) and getting a GH3 prepped for early next year?

Any theories on what's going on?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    I only see that the white, red, and brown bodies are being discontinued. That would fit with what Panasonic has said about only building the GX1 in black and grey. My guess is that the colorful bodies aren't selling very well, at least outside of Japan. But it's only a guess.

David

3. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    There is now no reason to buy G3 as GH2 prices are similar. GH2 is far superior camera in every aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if G series will be gone. I think three camera models is enough: GX, GF and GH
    Oly also has 3: E-P, E-PL, E-PM

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That also makes sense. The G series seems to be the odd man out.

6. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them kill the colored units. Why add additional confusion/complexity to manufacturing, inventory, ordering for retailers etc?

I'd be sad to see them kill the G line though. It's a high value model..fits the sweet spot for a lot of people for ergonomics, features, IQ and particularly price. Yeah the GH2 is a way better deal right now, but it looks like it's a temporary blip as they look to introduce new kits.

8. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I hope they don't drop the G line either, as it does have a place for those that want a small GX1 sized quality camera with good features and specs, yet also want an integral EVF. I love my G3.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I disagree to an extent. I still very much prefer the G3 over the GH series for the grip. And the GX1+EVF forces me to lose the hotshoe. So I very much want to see the G series continue. Not to mention the GX1+EVF combo is pricey =)

Actually, alternatively, if the GH series does drop in price (and this sell off isn't just a clearing to make room for a GH2+X lens kit/GH3), have interchangable grips on it... and that solves the problem really, heh.

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd be very surprised, given that the G3 has been one of the must successful Lumix MFT models to date...

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree! When I started looking a couple of months ago it was mind-boggling to look at all the models and how little difference there is between some models. The GF - GX - GH would give three distinct levels. I also think it is a perfect continuation of the "G".

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    What is the issue with the GH2 grip? Frankly, I've never seen a GH2 because they are (or were) out of my price range.

In my case, an interchangeable grip on the G3 is what I need...!

13. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    If anything maybe they will just change the name of the next one, instead of G4 maybe GX4. Or maybe start selling it with the power zoom as a kit lens and call it the GX3? Personally I agree that they are probably just discontinuing the coloured versions.

14. speedandstyle

Most people at this level of photography are not going to want a pink or red body. Sure some will but most won't and I bet Panasonic is learning that the hard way.

Of coarse there are some advantages to different colors. If you had 3 or more bodies in different colors it would be very easy to tell them apart!:rolleyes:

Now I do like the looks of the silver bodies and even the white ones are OK. Black does get boring after awhile.

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    it's personal preference really. It's supposed to be better than the GH1, but I still don't want that large of a grip on my m43 camera (though, I don't use longer and/or heavier lenses where I'd probably change my tune).

I don't really see an issue w/ the G/GF and GX/GH line up. GF users might want to upgrade to a more serious GX in the future, while G users can step up to the GH.

Then we just need a "GHX" as the top end. Along with a series of high grade lenses =) And sensors. I don't want to see m43 fall behind =(

16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    seconded.

17. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    FYI - some coloured bodies, e.g., that cool brown G3 were not available worldwide. For instance zero chance of buying one here in Australia, unless you went down the grey market road.

When asked why, Panasonic responded with a learned and emphatic "How would I know!"....same response from two different salespeople. Hmmm....

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Agreed! I think such a line-up would cater not just for different levels, but also for different tastes - which is something that traditional dSLR line-ups haven't done for a long time (ie: you want more features - get the pro model)

Entry-level brick - GFx
    Enthusiast brick - GXx
    Entry-level EVF - Gx
    Enthusiast EVF - GHx

'Pro' EVF - God

19. speedandstyle

Good point! I hadn't thought about it that way. It's not that Panasonic had 1 line with 4 levels BUT 2 lines with 2 levels.