The GX1 goes to London

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by sam_m, Dec 28, 2011.

1. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    A few from a trip to London. Got to say, carrying the GX1 and lenses around was a breeze. Also used a Joby Tripod for the longer exposures which was very useful.

Houses of Parliament by scm-photography, on Flickr

The London Underground by scm-photography, on Flickr

Time to Go Home by scm-photography, on Flickr

Tower Bridge by scm-photography, on Flickr

Lines and Reflections by scm-photography, on Flickr

London Eye by scm-photography, on Flickr

The Underground by scm-photography, on Flickr

London Night by scm-photography, on Flickr

Lookup by scm-photography, on Flickr

The Underground Escalator by scm-photography, on Flickr

Lets go by scm-photography, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 28
  2. pawzitiv

pawzitiv Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2010
    Sam .. superb work! It's wonderful to see what the GX1 is capable of in the right hands. You set the bar very high ...
  3. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    cracking images there
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Nice shooting. And nice PP as well. I'm assuming there was a fisheye involved with some of those...

5. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks guys, just seem to be finding the GX1 a real joy to use. For the first time with an MFT camera thought I would just leave it on Auto ISO up to 3200 (apart from the long exposures) and see how I would get on with it. It was a day trip with the Mrs and also a test for the GX1.

Ray, I used the Samyang 7.5mm and Panasonic 14-45mm mainly. That Samyang is a wonderful bit of kit. Edge to edge sharpness is outstanding.
  6. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Fabulous stuff Sam...! Wonderful pictures from my favourite city, makes me realize it is time I went back there again... Thanks for sharing....!
  7. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Okay, I can quit shooting now.

8. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Fantastic shots. Every time I see shots like these it quiets any lingering gear doubts I may have had and realize I just need to work on my skills! :)

Were some of those HDR?
  9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    How on earth did you get away with a 5s exposure on this one with no blur in the water or boat??

<a href="" title="Tower Bridge by scm-photography, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="428" alt="Tower Bridge"></a>
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fantastic! Obviously a great camera and a great photographer. The shots look clean and detailed; was there much noise reduction involved?
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Great pics !

Interesting to see some moire patterns on the escalator steps too.

I'm not a big wide-angle fan but the various fish-eye pics I've seen to date are making me have second thoughts. Seems to push that sense of immersion and 'being-there' to the forefront of the image.
  12. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    That is a good point and I never really thought about it till you mentioned that, but its probably because there was literaly no wind at all. You can just about see a brake light trail on the Bridge itself from the longer exposure. The boat was anchored up which I was a little gutted about because I didnt want it in the scene. This is a zoomed in shot of the bridge taken straight after the above shot...

13. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Love the wides, especially those fish eyes, they bring a weird smile looking at them :)
  14. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Thank you, yes I used noise reduction on the escalator shots as they were all at ISO3200. I use the Noiseware Professional plugin in Photoshop for this. Also doing PP work at ISO3200 can bring out more noise, but the GX1 still manages to keep all the details at this sensitivity.

No HDR at all. The only times I use exposure bracketing are if for example im shooting into the sun with a landscape scene to help keep the dynamic range, but I fuse the images rather than use HDR mapping.

It can be frustrating when you think you constantly need new gear and I have been in the same situation before (although Lenses are my main want at the moment).
  15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exellent ... love them . GAS is hitting again
  16. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Stunning pictures once again!
  17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes, stunning pictures.
  18. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    WOW. You made even escalators look amazing! Those are some great photos. Thanks for sharing them!
  19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I echo Nic ^, good stuff.