The GX1 goes on the shelf for a bit

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
.....the NEX is just fun in a sort of old school spartan sort of way. It's got E-P1 like AF speed (as in not good), a hilariously loud shutter sound, a convoluted and often infuriating UI and everything about its design says "gadget" and not "camera". However as absolutely alien as the NEX can be I find myself grinning when I use it. Maybe it's a sense of accomplishment by overcoming all the obstacles Sony puts in your way to use the NEX but I find it really fun.

If that's how you like your cameras maybe you should try one of these?

FIFTY_TWO_039_e_r_s.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:biggrin:

Mu-43 Legend
Just curious Kevin --

I read your sister thread at talknex.com. Someone suggested you should post it over here, and a NEX person said "wouldn't that be a bit mean?" NEX-C3 puts my GX1 on the shelf (temporarily) - Page 3

That person understood the implications.

Should I head over to the NEX forum, and post why I dropped NEX and hang some OMD pictures in certain threads?

Personally, that would strike me as inappropriate, which is why I would never do it, but do you think people would welcome the post with open arms?

p.s. - I think this question of mine sounds quite petulant. Like "how would you like it if I went over to nextalk, so there!" I don't mean it that way. It's an honest inquiry, more along the lines of demonstrating that I think if we ALL did this, and talked up other systems on opposing boards, we'd have DPR or the old Canonikon flame wars.

One thought -- maybe something more appropriate is to put in a link to your nextalk thread, just to let people who want to go over there and read about your (or Marla's or whoever's) adventures in NEX.

IMO, NEX and m43 are direct competitors in a way that Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Pentax are not (competitors to m43). I think that's where the friction comes in.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
John, what a beautiful camera!

Thanks Chuck. I got an identical one as a hand-me-down from my Dad when I was 17 - my first camera and even then (in 1972) it was archaic. Everything was manual, even cocking the shutter separately after winding on the film. Exposure readings were taken with a Weston Master, calibrated for Weston film speeds so readings had to be converted to the new-fangled DIN using a chart. In fact, the user interface was about as convenient as a NEX! However, it was the ideal camera with which to learn as it took everything right back to basics.

Sadly the shutter jammed and it was not economic to repair, but I bought a fully working replacement in excellent condition some years later, mainly for nostalgic reasons, and that is the camera pictured here. It is currently loaded with my last, partially exposed roll of Kodachrome 64. I still have Dad's Weston Master.

I don't recall that in those days we described cameras as "sexy" but I wonder if we'll reminisce fondly about the E-M5 or NEX7 in 40 years time!

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
IMO, NEX and m43 are direct competitors in a way that Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Pentax are not. I think that's where the friction comes in.

Hmmm....

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTVfFmENgPU&hd=1]Double Exposure: Canon vs. Nikon - YouTube[/ame]

Mu-43 Legend

Is that from the same folks who do shootout on shootoutridge (or something like that).

by the way -- I mean in a way that Canon and Nikon are not competitors to m43. They are certainly competitors to each other!

Grinch

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is that from the same folks who do shootout on shootoutridge (or something like that).

by the way -- I mean in a way that Canon and Nikon are not competitors to m43. They are certainly competitors to each other!

I don't think so, the shootoutridge was done by "The Camera Store" employees from Calgary, Canada. If they had done this, then you'd see the camera store name on it. They have done a mockery of digital rev though.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just curious Kevin --

I read your sister thread at talknex.com. Someone suggested you should post it over here, and a NEX person said "wouldn't that be a bit mean?" NEX-C3 puts my GX1 on the shelf (temporarily) - Page 3

That person understood the implications.

Should I head over to the NEX forum, and post why I dropped NEX and hang some OMD pictures in certain threads?

Personally, that would strike me as inappropriate, which is why I would never do it, but do you think people would welcome the post with open arms?

p.s. - I think this question of mine sounds quite petulant. Like "how would you like it if I went over to nextalk, so there!" I don't mean it that way. It's an honest inquiry, more along the lines of demonstrating that I think if we ALL did this, and talked up other systems on opposing boards, we'd have DPR or the old Canonikon flame wars.

One thought -- maybe something more appropriate is to put in a link to your nextalk thread, just to let people who want to go over there are read about your (or Marla's or whoever's) adventures in NEX.

IMO, NEX and m43 are direct competitors in a way that Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Pentax are not. I think that's where the friction comes in.

Did you bother reading the OP? All I said was that I was going to try shooting with the NEX and go all manual focus to see what that was like...and that I was going to be returning to the GX1 FOR SURE. I have also said on numerous occasion show much I like the GX1 and the lenses I have. FWIW I don't see that the NEX and GX1 are competitors at all. In fact I think they compliment one another.

Mu-43 Legend
I did read the OP, though I think this thread has evolved, which is why I brought up the issue I was mentioning. I also read the sister NEXtalk thread, too.

I think your reasons are very valid for why you have both, and prefer the C3. On a personal level, I have no issue with your choice or you post. I was addressing the idea of why these kinds of threads create friction. I also think, for you, they are complimentary, but for many others it's an either/or, and not a "both" decision.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I did read the OP, though I think this thread has evolved, which is why I brought up the issue I was mentioning. I also read the sister NEXtalk thread, too.

I think your reasons are very valid for why you have both, and prefer the C3. On a personal level, I have no issue with your choice or you post. I was addressing the idea of why these kinds of threads create friction. I also think, for you, they are complimentary, but for many others it's an either/or, and not a "both" decision.

I see what you are saying and what I had wanted this to be was simple note that I was going to try a little experiment and an invitation to people to come see what happened. I even said that I would post that on TalkNEX and not here thinking that I did not want to cause a stir. I had come to think of may of the people here as my friends (well in that internet forum sense of the word) and it was meant in that spirit. I was wrong. I am perhaps naive in thinking that a gear centric forum could ever be less about gear and more about the open exchange of ideas. I like to see what people do (and create) and frankly could care less what camera they use.

My mistake.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In case anyone is interested THIS is what I said on TalkNEX...

I like my GX1. It's a terrific camera and my PL25 and PL45 are superb lenses. That said, I also like my C3 and in some ways I find the NEX+legacy lenses a bit more satisfying to shoot with. I am not choosing to abandon my GX1 and go all NEX because quite frankly I don't need to. I think they compliment one another quite well. That said, I recently went to the zoo and the museum of flight and both times took the NEX instead of the GX1 forgoing AF and many of the niceties the GX1 brings to the table. Both times I was surprised how well going all MF with the NEX worked out. So I decided to put up my GX1 for the rest of September and go all manual focus on the NEX (meaning no Sigma 30 either). I know I used to do this with my Konica compact RF and Olympus OM cameras but its been a while.

It should be fun. I'll come back and post thoughts about it as well as photos.

I actually did post this over there. I thought it was perfectly reasonable. I'm not selling off my m43 gear and I have a lot invested in that community. I think my m43 gear and NEX gear have a pretty peaceful coexistence...but the thread over there does seem to have gone a bit off the tracks. I much prefer when a forum (even gear specific ones) are more about WHAT you are doing as opposed to what you are doing it WITH.

Mu-43 Legend
I see what you are saying and what I had wanted this to be was simple note that I was going to try a little experiment and an invitation to people to come see what happened. I even said that I would post that on TalkNEX and not here thinking that I did not want to cause a stir. I had come to think of may of the people here as my friends (well in that internet forum sense of the word) and it was meant in that spirit. I was wrong. I am perhaps naive in thinking that a gear centric forum could ever be less about gear and more about the open exchange of ideas. I like to see what people do (and create) and frankly could care less what camera they use.

My mistake.

Well, I meant no disrespect to you personally. I was trying (and likely failing) to address the issue that has been brought up tangentially about why it creates friction to announce a preference for NEX. I think there are reasons for that, and I was trying to show it by looking at it from the other angle. Again, I didn't mean any personal dig or disrespect.

Mu-43 Legend
I am perhaps naive in thinking that a gear centric forum could ever be less about gear and more about the open exchange of ideas.

I think you might actually be right, there. It is a gear centric forum and that's what people come to talk about.

I like to see what people do (and create) and frankly could care less what camera they use.

Personally, I go back and forth. Somedays I want to talk gear, so I come here.

Other days, I'm interested in a genre or just to see something interesting. In which case, I might check out here, or Fredmiranda, or even DPR genre forums. Or even POTN. But I just wouldn't share Nikon shots and talk about why I love Nikon on POTN.

Although, oddly enough, there is actually a thread on POTN that is reserved SPECIFICALLY for Nikon users to post. The rules are you can post why you like Nikon, with example shots, and Canon users are NOT allowed to bash the posts. The rules state explicitly that the thread is there for people curious about "the other side."

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II) - Canon Digital Photography Forums

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, I meant no disrespect to you personally. I was trying (and likely failing) to address the issue that has been brought up tangentially about why it creates friction to announce a preference for NEX. I think there are reasons for that, and I was trying to show it by looking at it from the other angle. Again, I didn't mean any personal dig or disrespect.

I didn't feel disrespected. I find the way folks get worked up over brand loyalties to be frustrating (and I am not aiming that at anyone in particualr). Part of the reason I started the Summer of Pictures thread was to get away from that silliness after the E-M5 had started arriving and everyone was going nutty over it. Get folks using the cameras instead of obsessing about them. I know because I have been just as obsessive. No matter. Can't undo it.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think you might actually be right, there. It is a gear centric forum and that's what people come to talk about.

Personally, I go back and forth. Somedays I want to talk gear, so I come here.

Other days, I'm interested in a genre or just to see something interesting. In which case, I might check out here, or Fredmiranda, or even DPR genre forums. Or even POTN. But I just wouldn't share Nikon shots and talk about why I love Nikon on POTN.

Although, oddly enough, there is actually a thread on POTN that is reserved SPECIFICALLY for Nikon users to post. The rules are you can post why you like Nikon, with example shots, and Canon users are NOT allowed to bash the posts. The rules state explicitly that the thread is there for people curious about "the other side."

Got a Nikon? Share your thoughts and photos here or ask a question! (II) - Canon Digital Photography Forums

I think when I first joined I was all about gear. God knows I've flipped enough gear on these forums in the past few years. Somewhere along the way it all just started to not make a d*mn bit of difference anymore. I got back to a spot where I was twenty five years ago tooling around with a couple rolls of whatever I could scrounge in my coat and my trusty Canonet in my messenger bag. I quite like the feeling. I'm not going back.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If that's how you like your cameras maybe you should try one of these?

FIFTY_TWO_039_e_r_s.jpg

:biggrin:

That's a Zeiss Ikon right? Yes, in fact I WOULD like that. I have one of these and love it.

20120911-qqpst61hr7k2xn6xb3eibgdgtr.jpg

Got it years ago (that's not mine in the photo) from a guy that had bought two of them new and never taken one out of the box.

Latest threads

Top Bottom