1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

The GX1 goes on the shelf for a bit

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Sep 9, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    After shooting daily with my NEX and GX1 (well actually it was more alternating off between them) for the Summer of Pictures challenge that was going on I came to two conclusions. First, I really like the GX1. It has a wonderful UI, is responsive, small and just a joy to shoot with. The PL25 and PL45 are just fantastic (the PL45 a bit more so than the 25) and I cannot say enough nice things about the GX1. And second, IF I was forced to go with one camera only I would have a much harder time giving up the NEX than the GX1.

I'm not sure why I feel this way because the GX1 is simply wonderful but the NEX is just fun in a sort of old school spartan sort of way. It's got E-P1 like AF speed (as in not good), a hilariously loud shutter sound, a convoluted and often infuriating UI and everything about its design says "gadget" and not "camera". However as absolutely alien as the NEX can be I find myself grinning when I use it. Maybe it's a sense of accomplishment by overcoming all the obstacles Sony puts in your way to use the NEX but I find it really fun.

So, the GX1 is going into the cabinet for a wee bit of a vacation and I'm going to see what its like to go without the speed, AF all the niceties of the GX1 and the PL lenses. I'll come back to the GX1 for sure but for now I'm going all manual. If anyone is interested I'll post my impressions over on TalkNEX. Wish me luck.

2. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Dixeyk as you know from Talknex.com I'm with you, have been the minute I clicked that awful NEX shutter, lol.
    My 5N has so many irritating limitations and quirks it wants me to go running buy a 7, screaming, but the subject isolation alone (NOT even mentioning detail, colors, noise -or lack of- etc) sentenced the GX-1 to the drawer from frame 1. I think for a generalist photographer not too much into people, the GX-1 is nearly perfect, with the vast array of lenses, and all the Panasonic UI goodness (which is truly golden). But for a die hard portraitist like me, the second you get back in control of DOF, the m4/3 sensor limitations (which had been nagging at me ever since I started with it) become unbearable.
    I absolutely love this site and community and I wish it could be used as a general platform for all well mannered mirrorless users, with no interformat bashing. I'd sure wouldn't mind keeping on sharing thoughts and pictures here ;)

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Nianys...I haven't really thought of it that way but it really does seem to be really well suited to portraiture. I myself don't do a lot of people shots but I do like single images in isolation (flowers, animals and things) so I suppose I fall into that category as well.

Like you I think the GX1 is terrific. I'm not yet at the point of selling mine off but perhaps after a month or two using only the NEX will change my mind. You're always welcome over here. Also, A lot of the community here is also on Serious Compacts so you might take a look over there as well. Despite the name you've got everything from point and shoots to Leica M folks over there. Very much format agnostic. :biggrin:

I look forward to seeing where you go with this. See you on TalkNEX.

4. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Just got à phone call for my GX-1, payment pending. PL25 is gone and so is LVF2, 14-45 maybe.
    About to pull the trigger on the 7, will sell the minty 5N I got earlier this week to test the NEX waters :)

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    dixeyk, which NEX body are you using? I keep thinking, "maybe this is the generation that the NEX won't suck" but I haven't seen it yet.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    But isn't that EXACTLY what seriouscompacts.com is for?

• Like Like x 3
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I use a C3. It really depends how you gauge "suckiness". Since I'm shooting manual focus lenses I have pretty minimal needs. The soft buttons are exposure comp, ISO, AWB and the center button on the dial changes shooting mode. Aperture is on the lens. I shoot available light so I don't need a flash and focus peaking works really well. For me the setup works great. To be honest just about any NEX body would probably work for my needs. About the only thing I could see upgrading for is an EVF and maybe better video and neither of those is a big priority for me. If you want something that stacks up well with a camera like the GX1 in AF, UI and responsiveness then yes it probably still sucks.

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    +1 exactly!

The vibrant micro four thirds community and mu-43.com are huge positives that come along with owning a m4/3 camera (along with bodies from two different camera companies, by far the best and most diverse native lens ecosystem, etc.). I seem to churn through APS-C systems way too much, but always have something going in m4/3.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You could debate that there are a lot of discussions about bodies that wouldn't exactly qualify as "compact" there - even more so than non-MFT bodies on this website...

10. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Whats with all the GAS!

HELLO EVEVERYONE
    I,m new to the forum and could be accused of having a serious gas issue!
    much the same as everyone else.
    I sold all my nikon gear and moved to the fantastic pentax K5 ....picture quality superb!...like most M4/3 users i couldnt enjoy my family days out and holidays so it had to go ....it was built like a tank and with quality lenses on it weighed a ton!...so having had the GF1 years ago , i thought i would downgrade to GX1....knowning sharp small lenses make this system....boy i wasnt wrong!...i am so happy with the output and handling of it ...dont think i'll ever go back to DSLR's.
    those who do will regret the lack of portability and photo's in my opinion that only marginallly beat oly/panny.
    I 'm guessing most here on the forum are not PRO;S ....so save yourselves the hassle of ebaying...losing cash and later realising you had a bad case of GAS!!

I also only take pics of days out /family and the normal stuff so dont rate my pics ....but you can see a few on FLICKR ....my user name....scottshotshots42 .....taken with the superb GX1.
    THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY RANT!

REGARDS
    Scott.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    SC is also a great community as well. A lot of former (and current) m43 folks over there. I think nianys was expressing the same sort of appreciation that I have for this community. This community is the main reason I still have any m43 gear. My Panasonic gear is nice stuff but there's a lot of nice gear out there. Good communities are far more difficult to find.

• Like Like x 2
  12. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I absolutely agree that the words/phrases "Sony", "NEX", "Focus Peaking", "Superior Image Quality", "Manual Focus-FUN" should not be used on mu-43.com.

• Like Like x 1
  13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

I can still complain about the lack of NEX native lenses and how big the few they have are, right? :biggrin:

14. What, you mean the same as you like to discuss NEX, Nikon 1, Fuji, and film on a Micro4/3 website? Compact is a fairly loose definition. Micro 4/3, not so much...

15. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I abosolutely love shooting with my Nex-7 from SONY with it's APS-C Sensor and focus peaking which is so fun when manually focusing lenses that it makes my over-priced OM-D gather dust. So this is technically ok right, I mentioned an m43 body, right?

This is actually total lies, I switched back to m43 from NEX for the m43 lenses, but I think that trying to stifle the flow of ideas in something that's either directly or indirectly (both in this thread) related to m43 stuff is quite ridiculous. My OM-D doesn't gather dust, I clean it a couple times a week.

16. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    LOL, big, few and crappy (exceptions made for the 18-200, 19, 24, 50 mm's). Also, the 16mm f2.8 is by no means big, but certainly crappy if you don't want to use a wide-angle lens for only the center.

17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am liking the Sigma 19 quite a bit from f5.6 to f8 on my N7. :2thumbs: It will be interesting to see how the new 35/1.8 performs.

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Unless you LIKE crazy huge lenses yes.

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The Sigma 30 is pretty nice as well. It's not so fast in AF department but I blame the camera more than the lens for that. It's sharp, has nice bokeh and renders well. I'm curious if the m43 version is similarly good natured.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    To be fair we do have a lot of crossover folks. I bet we have more folks with multiple systems than we do folks with just m43. I think SC is an equally good community.