The GX1 arrived

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jul 18, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I picked up a GX1 during the Amazon sale a few days back and it arrived today. I am very pleased with it. It has a wonderful feel in the hand, the build quality is top notch. It is a lot smaller than I thought it would be but still comfortable in the hand. It reminds me of the E-P3 only with nicer ergonomics and better controls. I am thrilled with it. I can't wait to pair it up with the PL25 that's on its way here or the P14. It was a heck of a deal. Time to order the obligatory Gordy strap.
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I popped the O45 on it for a quick spin...I really don't get that lens at all. It focuses just a little farther away that you think it will and the AF is really and on and off proposition. One second it snaps into focus instantly and everything is groovy and the next it racks all the way in and out before it focuses (if it manages to focus at all). It is the epitome of squirrely. Why is this lens so darned popular?

The P14 OTOH is reeeeaaaaally nice on the GX1. It makes a really compact package. That and the PL25 are gonna see a lot of action.
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I bought one of the Amazon sale GX1's myself. It arrived Saturday. I already have the Panny 14 and 20, and the Oly 45. People keep saying the PL 25 is made for the GX1 but, given my prime line-up, it'll take some work justifying the purchase.
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had heard the same. I would think the P20 would be terrific as well. The only one that is not doing it for me is the O45. I'm starting to think maybe the PL45 would have been a better way to go (macro would be a cool bonus). So far though the GX1 is a big thumbs up.
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I would add to the notion that the PL25 was made for the GX1. Of course I'm a biased GX1/PL25 owner :wink:. Seriously though it is my go-to combo 90% of the time, the AF hit ratio is super high with the GX1 and it does so very quickly even in very low light. I'm really only using other lenses at this point to gain some skills in areas where I don't feel so comfortable (~50mm FOV is that for me).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I purchased the GX1 for the PL25. (since it was fighting with my E-PL3) I love it so far!
  7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    i'm envious... well, the G5 is here.... but the GX1 is still something. gggrrr... :biggrin: congrats!
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol ..How many camera bodies u rotate during one year Kevin?:confused::confused::confused:
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I had to resist the GX1. I would just sell it for a new Pen anyway in a couple of months, but that's a mighty fine camera! I really like it's looks, too, and the grip just looks like it would fit perfectly.

Once you start shooting with the PL25, as long as you don't need the most compact system, then you won't need to justify it. The justification is in keeping both the PL25 and the P20.

I agree on the O45/1.8. It's a nice lens, and in the hands of those who like that FL and who are patient, it really sings (lookin' at you Mr. Hart!). But for me, I just don't shoot at that focal length, so I sold it and the excellent PL45, and just have two legacy 50s -- an FD 50/1.4, which is plenty sharp and contrasty starting at f/1.8, and an FD 50mm 3.5 macro (mainly for taking pictures of gear that I'm selling, lol).
  10. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Received my GX1 via amazon sale too.

Im coming from a GF1 and GF2, Do you find that the GX1 tends to underexpose compared to the GF1/2 ?
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

I feel like I went on a GAS binge. This year I've been through NINE bodies (but in all fairness two of them were repeat buys). Prior to that I had the same two bodies for a year and a half (E-PL1 and G2). Part of that has been my on/off thing with Olympus cameras (E-P1, E-PL2, E-PM1 and E-P3). What I have learned is that I am just not an Olympus guy when it comes to camera bodies. I much prefer Panasonics. I really WANTED to like them and tried several flavors but none of them did it for me.

I think I'm done now. :eek:
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, I'm a Panasonic fan so it seemed like the right camera. Now that I have it in hand it really is exactly what I was wanting. It's fast, comfy in the hand and really fast. It reminds me of the E-P3 quite a bit (as in equally snappy). As far as the PL25 is concerned I ma not too concerned about the larger size. it's still way smaller than any DSLR and the added AF speed will be nice.

OTOH the O45 is a funny duck. I don't dislike it at all. I agree that some folks here do amazing stuff with them. I find that I can either take it or leave it. For now Im content to just have it just so I have the FL.

The GX1 has proven to be a really sweet camera to use so far.
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    <a href="" title="Pre-Goth by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7600777342_2f5272df3f_b. "684" height="1024" alt="Pre-Goth"></a>

The GX1 is an absolute joy to shoot with. It's fast and AF and falls in the hand just right. The colors are a bit nicer straight OOC than any Panasonic I've had so far. It looks like it tends to underexpose. Default JPEGs are a step up from other Panasonic cameras and of coure AWB is adjustable so I need to noodle with it to get the right balance. IQ is what I have come to expect from m43. It's easily as good as my GH2 was and a step over every other camera I've had except the NEX. The P14 and the GX1 do really well together. The O45 is fast but finicky and frankly not all that much fun. I am excited to use the PL25 on it.

I'm very pleased with the GX1 and I think paired with the P14 and PL25 will make an really walk around kit. The controls are some of the best I have ever used and much better than any of the compact RF style bodies I have used. If it had an articulating LCD it would be perfect. The biggest surprises are how small it is and how responsive it is. Its reminds me a lot of the E-P3 but with a clickable thumbwheel, better control placement and IMHO a better build quality (you can also tilt the flash upward with your finger to bounce it which you can no longer do on the E-P3).
    • Like Like x 2
  14. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I really like the feel of the rubber grip on the GX1. Way easier to hold than my E-M5. I'd love to see a NEX-7 inspired GX-2 at Photokina.
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That grip is really nice. I was surprised at how easy it was to walk around with it.
  16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    As a former GX1 owner I can say that even though I love my em5 and appreciate it as a wonderful, versatile and feature packed camera.....I still to this day dearly miss the simple efficiency of the GX1...I miss the FEEL of it. The EM5 despite all the bells and whistles doesn't even come close....repeat...doesn't even come close (for me) in terms of a natural, comfortable and secure feel in the hand. I don't like the idea of shelling out $300 for the grip and besides....having tried the grip it just feels to chunky and renders the camera no longer compact. I resorted to forking out $100+ for the Gariz special edition half-case ....yeah it helped...... a little.

Am I going to get rid of my EM5 because of it ?
    Absolutely offers so much more that I have learnt to accept its few flaws. BUT....I will always be keeping an eye out for where Panasonic takes that beautiful little rangefinderesque brick in future GX? models.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Don't be too sure :smile:

I've been surprised the GX1 hasn't seen more attention. Seems like the perfect middle ground for a stylish, but full-featured body. But then when push came to shove, I ended up with another Olympus, so I guess I'm part of the problem...

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

I have been very impressed by it and it is hard to explain why. It just feels so right. I'm happy wit hit and for the price I git it for on the Amazon sale I feel like the cat that swallowed the canary.
  19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    My buddy picked up one during the Amazon deal (I pushed him over the ledge).

It is a pretty cool body. I do like the ergo's better than my Oly bodies, and I prefer the interface a bit (dig the level gauge).
  20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Fwiw.....if it wasn't for a very large unexpected expense there was no way I was going to sell it. It was to be my EM5s brother in a 2 body kit !!!