1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Great Godox Wakeup Mystery!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WaltP, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Has anyone here solved the mystery of how to make a Godox TT600 wake up from Sleep mode without going over and putting hands on the flash unit?

The manual says it works by simply touching any button on the X1T transmitter, but I've yet to figure out how - or get any response from Godox.

Sigh. What is the world coming to?

Walt
    (old enough to remember when 2 cents was worth something.)

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Have you checked the Fn options settings?

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I have the TT350 for fuji, there is a setting on the flash unit to disable sleep mode.

4. Of course I have. Wouldn't be much of a mystery otherwise.

5. Yes. There is on the TT600 as well. Does that make it wake up remotely on the TT350? Like the manual states.

6. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    not wake up, but rather not getting into sleep at all.

7. Yes. I was asking a question. Does anyone know how to get the TT600 to perform as it says it does in the manual - remote wake-up via a button press on the X1T-C/N/O transmitter?
    [bump]

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Does the manual actually state a X1T-O transmitter will work? Is that the transmitter you are using? I only ask because the Godox webpage on the TT600 flash says the flash is compatible with Olympus although it specifically states that only a X1T-C or X1T-N transmitters will activate the flash wirelessly. See the 1st paragraph under Wireless Triggering in the link below. Maybe because the TT600 is the entry model for a full size flash there are limitations. Checked the TT685 flash page, which is the next model up the line, and it specifically states the X1T-O trigger will work, where your flashes webpage makes no mention of the X1T-O trigger.

A lot of the triggering/sleep issues on other Godox flash have been corrected by firmware updates. I checked under the downloads section for a firmware update but do not see any for the TT600.

GODOX PHOTO EQUIPMENT CO.,LTD TT600

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. Thanks Jim,
    That link is to the product splash page, done before the X1T was available in the -O version.

Yes, the X1T-O does trigger the flash. Any of the X1t units will trigger any of the flash units. That is one of the attractive points of the system; if I switch back to Canon gear, I replace the X1T-O with an X1t-C if I want to have TTL flash control. Otherwise, I can hold ANY X1t transmitter in my hand (no camera) and control manual power on any Godox flash unit. Great concept! Pretty well executed - except for this issue that everyone wants to ignore.

Page 32 of the TT600 Instruction Manual does say "To wake up the flash unit, press any button on the flash unit, or press the camera release button, or press the trigger TEST button.".

I have had someone try to wake up both TT600 and TT685 flashes with a X1T-C trigger. That didn't work either. They called Adorama and were told "just turn off sleep mode on the flash". Not only is that a crappy excuse for not doing their job (fix the bug I just pointed out to you), but it is actually not workable advice for someone (and this is not an uncommon situation) that has flashes on stands across a crowded wedding reception hall from 2pm until midnight. I know, the next answer is buy the (much more expensive) Lithium version of the TT600. But the Godox manual says this is designed to wake up from sleep mode. It's really not ridiculous to expect to hold them to what they say in their manual. Have we been lied to so much that it now seems "normal behavior"?

Sorry for the rant. Not just annoying, but also socially informative. It's not true. Godox should fix it.
    Walt

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Walt, I can try to speak to Godox today and report back, as you probably know it's a Chinese company.

btw, just so I know, how long does it take for the tt600 to go into sleep mode if set to radio trigger slave mode? Is your tt600 the m43 version?

11. Yes, mine is the MFT version. The Sleep time can be set to 3, 10, 30, or 60 minutes, or turned off so it never sleeps. But once it goes to sleep, you have to press a button ON THE FLASH to wake it back up.
    This would mean going across the room, lowering the lightstand, pressing a button to wake it up, raising the lightstand back into position, and going back to my shooting position.
    Thank you for trying to talk to someone at Godox. Im pretty sure the community would be willing to help if they need software help.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    So I've made the call, the answer is, when the flash unit enters sleep mode, the wireless has been shut off, no way to wake up via the x1f, no matter what the version is, this is true to all Godox flash including the 685.

There won't be firmware update to solve this issue as it's part of the hardware design.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Thank you for making the call and getting an actual answer. Sad to hear it, but at least it is a response. Thanks!

14. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    you're welcome, thinking of a solution, on my TT350F for fuji, the flash unit powers on automatically as soon as I insert the battery, I haven't noticed if it goes straight into slave mode, say, if I "stored" the settings by properly shutting down in slave mode. if it does, then you could probably use an external power source when you supply the power, it starts receiving from the transmitter.

btw, is it so with the X1F-O, every wireless capable Godox flash becomes TTL compatible with Oly? I'm asking because I can then buy any version not having to specifically look for my fuji version

15. Yes, that's the beauty of the system design (along with remote control). If you want TTL, you need to get the version for your camera because they speak differently. But if you are only doing manual, any of them will act the same. They are talking to the X1T in a common language. The X1T can talk to your camera if you want TTL, or can just talk to the flashes if you use manual. SImple and works great! Now if we could just solve this remote wakeup, it would be the "dream system". And if you can solve it - I bet Godox would license it from you. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    @jyc860923@jyc860923 Wow, someone with actual access! Could you perhaps find out if they will be fixing the issue of the automatic flash zoom settings not matching the camera lens? This is something I'm seeing with the V860ii-O on the GX8 with the 12-35/2.8. Basically the flash goes to the next higher zoom area than the lens. So if it's at 12mm on lens, the flash will go to 14mm. 35mm lens the flash will go to 42mm. I've seen a few others mention this problem as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    On the Li-on TTL flashes, they sleep after 30 or 60 minutes. And is recommended if you use them off camera, sleep mode should be turned off. The V850ii/Flashpoint Li-on R2 has sleep modes at 3, 10, 30, and 60 minutes.

When these are in sleep mode they do not respond to X1T button pushes nor do they respond any camera controls. However with all of them, any button push on the flashes will wake them. I probably never noticed as I set all of the to no Sleep mode when I first got them.

18. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    solve it? the tech person I called sounded more like "this is exactly how we wanted our design to be", they are not aiming for this. That said, it still feels more likely for them to fix it in the next generation product than, say, Pana and Oly license their sync I.S. to each other.

I can call them on Monday or Tuesday to report the issue but I doubt I'll "find out" if they're working on a fix, first they need to acknowledge this issue. Could you tell me more about this issue, is it with the GX8 and 12-35 lens only?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Seoul, South Korea
    I’ll do some tests with other lenses, but I’m a bit limited since I’ve packed everything up and will be moving to Korea on Tuesday. I’ve heard of others with the issue here on the forums, I’ll see if I can track down a few of them.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, it’s greatly appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yes. It's truly wonderful to have someone who can ask a question directly to the tech team. Please let them know about this forum as well.

If they never intended to have the flash wake up remotely - why did they put that in the manual!?? That sounds "fishy".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.