The GM5. The Ultimate in m43 Camera P*rn...

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
The GM5 & GM1 are definitely an ideal street camera. I came to the GM1 because my family disallowed to take my big stuff (Canon 5D MkIII) in the streets in Africa....

I made a series of photos in Stonetown, Sansibar... http://delightphoto.zenfolio.com/p773710852

Shooting my favorites out of this series I had the camera in front of my belly and I used the touch release... The only disadvantage: My belly is shooting some stochastic shots... but those you can erase easily... I put the camera into the silent mode - and nobody realized what I was doing...

In this case: the lens was the 12-32 kit lens, which is ok, but the Primes are way better, especially the Summilux f1.7/15mm.

View attachment 84201 View attachment 84202 View attachment 84203
Nice work JoFT!
Were they all taken with the GM5, can't see EXIF on my iPad.

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
Nice work JoFT!
Were they all taken with the GM5, can't see EXIF on my iPad.

These photos are made with the GM1. I took this images easter 2014. The GM5 was available November/December 2014...

The GM1 is identical with the GM5 in terms of image quality (same sensor, same Venus engine). The difference is in the functional layout of the camera (Camera hot shoe, EVF, customizable F-Buttons etc).

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
Question - Is High Speed Sync (HSS) possible with a shoe mounted flash like the FL360L with the GM5? (FL360L supports HSS, but I'm not sure if the GM5 supports it). HSS would be great for daylight fill flash. Thx.

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
Question - Is High Speed Sync (HSS) possible with a shoe mounted flash like the FL360L with the GM5? (FL360L supports HSS, but I'm not sure if the GM5 supports it). HSS would be great for daylight fill flash. Thx.
Unfortunately the sync speed is very limited @ 1/50s. The reason is -according to Panasonic the size of the GM5: for higher sync speed a 2nd shutter curtain is not implemented

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
That's the normal full open shutter flash speed. If compatible, HSS would surely go much higher. Does there need to be any special compatibility for HSS to work?

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
On the go I might carry the following: 15/f1.7, 25/f1.4 and 45/f1.8, maybe less. Obviously one would be attached to the GM5.

How do you guys carry the GM5, and any extra lenses, do you pop it or them in your pocket, or have you found a suitably diminutive bag.

ManofKent

Hopefully still learning
Real Name
Richard
On the go I might carry the following: 15/f1.7, 25/f1.4 and 45/f1.8, maybe less. Obviously one would be attached to the GM5.

How do you guys carry the GM5, and any extra lenses, do you pop it or them in your pocket, or have you found a suitably diminutive bag.

I use a GM1 but size wise it's the same. The Lowepro Apex 100 is pretty small but it holds a body with either the Pana 45-150 or Oly 60 attached + either the Pana 20 or 12-32, an Oly 45 and one of the body cap lenses quite comfortably for example.

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes

I made very good experince with the Manfrotto Stuff http://www.manfrotto.com/bags-pouches.

I have a couple of them to carry the Lenses and the camera. And you can put this little bags on your belt... but they are not compatible to the 100-300 and problematic with the 14-140 incl. the lens hood....

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just ordered a gm5! Can you guys confirm whether generic batteries will charge okay on the panasonic charger?

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I'm interested too, I've just been pricing the Lumix battery and in the UK it's about £44, but OEM batteries aren't the cheapest. The way I look at it, why spend a l-o-t of money on the camera and lens, and then go out and source a cheap battery, same with memory cards. It's a bit like buying a really nice expensive suit, and spoiling it with a cheap tie.

With the release of the GM5, I think Panasonic have stolen the lead in small, pocketable M43 cameras. The direction the two major M43 manufacturers are heading seems to differentiate the market - panasonic have been quite imaganitive with this product. At the other end of the segment, Olympus aren't outdone of course having released the OMD Mk II.

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
Nothing wrong with "cheap". That does not mean "bad". Excellent value usually.

But yes, m43 has a great choice of cameras. More so than being stuck with a single brand. And ending up bitching about Canikon or something.

Last edited:

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
That is true, we all like a bargain don't we. On the other hand I've seen numerous threads about 3rd part batteries not living up to expectations. We make an informed decision in such matters.

Just a thought, what would you do if a 3rd party company produced a replica of a GM5, or any other camera for that matter, for half the price, would you buy the 3rd party product in preference based on price. Or maybe solicit opinion and get half a dozen replies from individuals saying the replica worked fine. Small sample stats have to be considered with caution.

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Hey, that's my camera!! I have exactly the same set up as you - although the wrist stap on yours looks more expensive!
The only thing that bugs me is the dedicated wheel (dial) for 'focus mode' on the top plate? Why do that? Surely there's more important things to be permanently assigned to a dedicated dial in such a prominent position.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

sabesh

Mu-43 Veteran
Hey, that's my camera!! I have exactly the same set up as you - although the wrist stap on yours looks more expensive!
The only thing that bugs me is the dedicated wheel (dial) for 'focus mode' on the top plate? Why do that? Surely there's more important things to be permanently assigned to a dedicated dial in such a prominent position.
Yeah, an EV +/- or ISO dial might have been nice! BTW, it's a cheap strap from eBay ($18), but very sturdy, made from canvas and leather. It's called the Octopus Camera Wrist Strap. Unfortunately, it's not being sold anymore :(

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Or allow it to be programmable. It's a strange choice they made, but it is what it is, and I knew that before I entered my credit card details.

DaveInPA

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
I grew tired of ordering black cameras, so I decided to be a little different with my GM5.

16838838615_a942cb3011_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom